Kegs, New vs second hand.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoploader

Reaction score
I've had a fair old search and can't come up with much on what is best way to go.
I'm looking at getting probably 4 kegs at this stage. New presumably Chinese made for $125 each or second hand from craftbrewer @ $80 each. I'm guessing the second hand ones might be a bit hit and miss, but also assuming they would be made to last far more than the Chinese new ones. I found one thread on Italian ones that would be hard to sterilize, due to an unwelded seam, though not sure what they are.
Think I'll go the corny's rather than pins mainly just as fridge will fit them better, and easier on parts.
Any suggestions welcome. Or even a pointer to a thread I've missed.

Cheers

If second hand and they're holding gas. Got a pull ring prv.

Win

Don't get the ones with the solid in built prv.. Well.. If they're under fiddy, sure, replacing the whole lid will work out

I inspected a couple of the Chinese ones at my LHBS the other day. I don't need kegs but had a good look. They appear to be identical to Cornies, and are a thing of beauty.

Craftbrewer also sell a similar product for $140. There have been posts about the Italian ones, wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Mine are mostly second hand and I just replaced all of the O rings with silicone O rings. They work well.

I prefer the second hand cornelius kegs as they have the rubber bottom and handles and are easier to move around when full than the ones with the metal handles.

I "think" the cornys all have pull reliefs while the pins have the solid over pressure relief, and yeah you could replace the lid. Will probably go the used ones, but yeah the new ones look nice

Depends on which new ones. I have new ones that look identical to my 2nd hand ones, but without the damage of several years of abuse.

If I had my time again and a little money for new kegs I'd go that way, with one difference I'd get the 1/6 BBL yankee kegs with D couple and build a keg washer. Cost of purchase would be similar to new cornies, but maintenance way simpler, cleaning D couple kegs with out a keg washer would be a pain.

Bribie G said:
I inspected a couple of the Chinese ones at my LHBS the other day. I don't need kegs but had a good look. They appear to be identical to Cornies, and are a thing of beauty.

Craftbrewer also sell a similar product for $140. There have been posts about the Italian ones, wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.
Are the Italian ones AEB? I have 10 AEB 9.5L kegs and they're perfect still, after god knows how many years. Probably 8 years I've had them.
I like to buy new and look after stuff, so that would be my recommendation.

I haven't personally seen the Italian ones but the new ones at the LHBS are identical to the second hand Cornelius brand.
Rubber top and bottom and flawless machining. I wonder if they bought the rights from the Corny mob as they are not made any more.

These days I would want to see any second hand kegs before I purchased them, ie do not buy online. There is not much good stuff around and lots of shit.
I am not saying you will get rubbish , but you should see them first.

Keg King's latest offering with the rubber on the top and bottom seem to be pretty good.

Yeah would be great to be able to check out used ones, but nowhere in Sydney to buy. Wouldn't take too many replacement parts to add up to a new one after $88 for keg+seals, but certainly a saving if that's it.

Bribie G said:
There have been posts about the Italian ones, wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.
Ummm you sure you've got that right?

I've got 4 x 19L + 2 x 9.5L AEB (italian) kegs.
I've also got 4 x 9.5 "corny" kegs second hand a few years back from germany.

For my money the AEB units are the best. If you can afford to splurge on brand new units they're from memory about $180ea (9.5 and 19's were the same price)
There is nothing wrong with the 2nd hand units but I've got a bit of a thing for wanting new shit all the time so I spent the coin.
If I was a bit more flush with cast I'd sell my 4 2nd hand kegs and upgrade to a few more of the italian made AEB units.

I have 10 AEB 9.5L kegs and they're perfect still, after god knows how many years.[/quote

With the extra kegs do you store/age brews in them and if so do you, chill and carbonate and then store or do you fill/purge the 02 out and say leave pressurised at 20 psi?
With the latter would 4 weeks be ok before chilling and then carbonating?

Ps I've got the kegging bug, 560 bottles to 4 x 9.5 litre plus 2 x 12 litre - can I stop???

Cheers

grott said:
With the extra kegs do you store/age brews in them and if so do you, chill and carbonate and then store or do you fill/purge the 02 out and say leave pressurised at 20 psi?
With the latter would 4 weeks be ok before chilling and then carbonating?

Ps I've got the kegging bug, 560 bottles to 4 x 9.5 litre plus 2 x 12 litre - can I stop???

Cheers
Hey grott,
I do all the above, depending on fridge space. So, I have 9 taps and 3 kegerators.
2 kegerators join together with a 6 tap font. I have a small gas bottle inside one kegerator. So in the 6 tap configuration I have 3*19L kegs in one and 2*19L and 1*9.5L in the other, along with the gas bottle and reg. The other takes 3*19L kegs.
So, that leaves me with 9*9.5L kegs right?
As I brew 50L batches I keg 2*19L and 1*9.5L everytime. Depending on tap space and another fridge I have for lagering depends which keg goes on tap where.
If I have finally exhausted all fridge space, what I normally do is pull out one of the kegs in the fridge (non serving) and leave it in the coolest place available while I carbonate / lager a new one. The one sitting at ambient will usually be the next to go on tap. I usually have 6 or 7 of the 9.5L kegs ready to go in the one spot that can take a little one.
Hope this makes sense.

Yes it does make sense and thanks for the information, appreciated.

Ps. If I'm every in Bowral, with that set up, don't let me in, how could one leave.

Cheers

Last few second hand kegs I bought, sight unseen, were horrible. Really bad condition.

The new Chinese ones you mention, could refer to lots of different kegs. But if its the variety that most HB shops are selling, not only are they a good build - but they come with a 5-year warranty to back it up.

A few months back I lost 2/3 of a keg of (very nice) beer due to a pin-prick hole in the bottom of a second hand keg that developed over time.

I bought 2 new 12l ball lock kegs from Brewmart in WA. Neil was excellent, guaranteed no bulge issues or problems with the kegs. I ordered last Thursday, he pressurised them over night and ship them out Friday. Received them Mon morning! & Aust post! They were still highly pressurised and the welds look terrific.
Cheers

Ps postage to the door (SA) was only $16.90 for both kegs

grott said:

Cheers
Just purchased 2 x 12litre slightly used Italian kegs - Help.....................!

MastersBrewery said:
If I had my time again and a little money for new kegs I'd go that way
This.
The biggest mistake in all of my brewing career was buying "reconditioned" kegs. Sorry Ross. I just bought somebody else's problem.

Yes, you can buy replacement parts that fit *most of the time* but the last thing you want to be doing is swapping around leaking lids, PRV's or liquid out posts when you've got a full keg of beer. I bought 1 brand new keg 4 years ago and it's still tight as a nuns nasty.

I've got six 2nd hand cornies and never had a leak, never replaced any of seals up until today, I just replaced one lid seal that was beginning to crack. Some have pull ring release valve some don't and never had a problem with the ones that don't , I just push in the gas poppet to purge the air after pressurizing with CO2. I thought about replacing the lids but every time I go into the LHBS I find Id rather spend my money on hops, yeast and malt.

Back