Kegs Just Arrived, Kegorator/keezernot Here Yet, What To Do?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzad1

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a brew sitting in the fermenter, it has been there for close to 3 weeks now, I have been waiting for some kegs to arrive, and to build a keezer (chest freezer with temperature controller), the kegs arrived today, but the freezer is not due here till next week. I originally planned to bottle this batch, but I dont have many spare bottles at the moment, and i hate washing them! Since the recipe (Little Creatures Pale Ale clone) was intended for bottle conditioning, is it recommended that I secondary ferment in a keg? or just carbonate it using CO2 and accept a lower amount of alcohol? I am not entirely sure what to do next, since the keg won't be chilled until at least next week.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

thanks

Rack into the keg, add 80g of dextrose (dissolved ideally) ... keep at it 20C roughly and in 2 weeks or so you'll have carbonated (natural) beer just like a bottle only 19L !

so your issue hasnt got anything to do with a kegorator/keezer but with an issue about kegging a brew intended for bottling?

bottling would have only added about 0.5% alc. so your really not loosing anything. keg it.
or if you really want that extra 0.5%, add sugar and let it ferment out. then keg it.

you dont need a working kegorator/keezer to keg. (you only need it to keep beer cold/dispense.)

Rack into the keg, add 80g of dextrose (dissolved ideally) ... keep at it 20C roughly and in 2 weeks or so you'll have carbonated (natural) beer just like a bottle only 19L !
why would you do that. you'lll just create more trub. its already in a fermentor. leave it there and add the dex/sugar/whatever and leave all (most) of the crap behind. he's obviously got CO2 as he mentions it. so why naturally carb?

empty your fridge
chill the fermenter
keg the beer
force carb it
drink the beer

build the keezer later :)

why would you do that. you'lll just create more trub. its already in a fermentor. leave it there and add the dex/sugar/whatever and leave all (most) of the crap behind. he's obviously got CO2 as he mentions it. so why naturally carb?

The extra trub from naturally carbing in the keg will come out with the first pint or two does it not? Leaving behind clean carbonated beer?

The extra trub from naturally carbing in the keg will come out with the first pint or two does it not? Leaving behind clean carbonated beer?
works fine i use this method only the first and last pints are cloudy.

he has kegs but possibly not picnic taps or a pluto gun to easily dispense the beer even if it was force carbed

nothing wrong with naturally carbonating kegs... you can store them at room temp, saves CO2 (although it's darn cheap) and honestly it's only the first pint that's yeasty.. but still drinkable

also a good choice if you don't or can't invest in a full size CO2 bottle... carb with dex and dispense with the 16g CO2 bulbs

Back