Kegs For Boiler And Hlt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasChris

Lurking
Reaction score
Hi all,
Iam about to try a few partials before heading to AG.
I was going to make a 3 tier gravity feed system.
Can somebody give me an idea on the size kegs and style I would need for 25l brews and also where is the best source to get them.
I am in the North of Tasmania.
Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris,
50l kegs are a good size for everything but they are difficult to source. I have seen them in scrapyards and a mate of mine even got a couple off his local tip. You do see them advertised in the "For Sale" columns but last time I was in Smithton I didnt see too many places that would have them except pubs and sourcing them there puts you in gaol.
Look at other things. I found a 200L copper hot water system and cut that in half for my boiler and HLT. You can mash in a 20L stock pot (just) but you must fly sparge which is a bit slower than batch sparging. I have seen out of date SS auto LPG gas tanks for $35.00 at swap meets. I think they are 70 or 90 litre but would cut up for good tanks.
NW Tassie was all dairying once so there must be lots of old unused SS tanks lying around the place. Another friend uses 200L stainless hot water tanks to ferment his wine and he got them for nothing.

Hi Tony,
Didn't think of dairy stuff, good idea.
The thought of mid night raids on certain establishments had crossed my mind!!
I was wondering if Boags or Cascade breweries ever retired their kegs? Does any body know if that happens?
Chris

General consensus is that the mega-breweries will never sell their kegs, even if they're being retired. I don't think you're even allowed to buy them off scrap yards, as they're supposed to be molten down/crushed/etc. Many have tried to purchase them, but to my knowledge, no-one has succeeded.

Whilst not advocating the practise in any way, I dare say most people's 50 L kegs fell off the back of a pub... ;)

This thread covers things well.

Back