Kegmenter. Are they good to use?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Opps Meant to post this under the "Fermenting Under pressure" Topic so have repeated this post there

Anyone done any lagers in a pressure fermenter using lager yeast?
What is your procedure? Temps, times, pressure? Do you need to condition/lager the brew like you normally would with a lager or because it is under pressure you don't need to? Is it a lot quicker and the beer some out tasting clear? No sulphur (eggy smell/taste) in the beer?
I have a kegking pressure fermenter on order, can't wait to try it!

I have 40 ltrs of marzen in one in the fridge now
Currently fermenting out at 9degC with glad wrap and a lacky band over the opening
Once near terminal gravity eg for me FG was 1014 so at around 1016 I'll bump it to 16degC for around three days
Then reduce temp to 1 or 2 for as long as I can wait (2 weeks prolly haha) fit the in / out posts and once carbed, drink

In this case I'll have to transfer to 2x19ltr kegs tho so I can gets me the yeast, if it was staying In There I'd bend the dip tube a bit

...that may not help you tho.

Hi droid,
That's very similar to my lager procedure, im just wondering if doing it in a pressure fermenter makes it go quicker and allow for higher fermenting temperatures to be used.
There is lots saying how ales go that much quicker but can't get a straight answer on lagers

Under pressure temps can be higher and therefore ferment faster. The pressure reduces ester production. On the phone so can't link search pressure fermenting and all you need to know will be revealed.

Yeah I have read a bit about that, it sounds interesting.
I just not sure what pressures and what temperatures and how long to do it for at what pressure and so forth particualary with lagers. As I am just starting lagers and they take so long!
Just need to know all the above on brewing lager in a pressure fermenter and worried about the sulphar that lager yeast typically excretes being forced into the beer under pressure, because an eggy taste in the beer - no thanks!

Hoffdegg

As I indicated in the other thread in the machine I have when fermenting lagers start with the pressure relief valve set to vent at 1.5bar and the temperature set to 15C for 3 days and then raise to 18C for another three days and if you have reached terminal gravity (which you should have) then cold crash to 1C to drop the yest out of suspension. I then Clarify using Colloidal Silica

Obviously when you first pitch the yeast the fermenter will be at atmospheric pressure and will build up to the 1.5 bar as the brew ferments

I should also point out that this is using dry yeast such as W34/70 or S23

Wobbly

Hey wobbly,

I didn't realise you were using w34/70 or s23!

That's really good to know, I'll have to give it a try, except the release valve I have only goes up to 15 psi.

Going up to 1.5 bar and then crash cooling it, that won't over carbonate it?

Any one tried or thought of ? Pretty sloppy cut but Im still wondering how well it would hold pressure.

Last edited by a moderator:
nosco said:
Any one tried or thought of ? Pretty sloppy cut but Im still wondering how well it would hold pressure.

Tahoose said:
I'm going to do a el cheapo ghetto version, have a spare keg at home and a coupler that does t get used very often.

Turn the keg upside down, cut the dip tube, cut a hole and install a corny keg lid in to the old "bottom". Also install a weldless gas post, this to be used for the prv.

Additional cost above what I have will be $50. Being a new corny lid, and the weldless fitting.
This is what i was talking about here... The other thing I didn't mention is that the new corny lids have a built in Prv. Really need to get back on to this.

Last edited by a moderator:
So a corny lid in the bottom, a ball valve with tri clover fittings in where the spear goes for yeast collection? I have access to a plasma cutter and someone who knows how to use it at work now. Ive got a spare corny lid too. Weld some legs on it....Just gotta figure out the best way to collect the beer.

Up date-

Bought one of these on the weekend.

http://kegking.com.au/keg-couplers-and-keg-disconnects/19l-9l-kegs-keg-parts/carbonation-keg-lid-with-2-micron-diffusion-stone.html

New plan;

- Remove Spear and cut tube down to about 2 inches.
- Cut hole in "bottom" of keg to fit corny lid.
-use carbonation corny lid, which has the benefit of a gas post already installed, and the prv for safety reasons.
- use keg coupler in conjunction with spear (which now will be upside down), bonus of this is that you can buy ball lock attachments for the coupler, giving you liquid out and gas in for the bottom.

Any Questions please ask.

Ok, so here's the latest.

My hand has been forced, so change of plans.

I just could not get the spear out of the keg I'm using. I bought a keg opening tool as I have a couple of kegs of this type and it just wouldn't budge. All of the other ones did but I've decide to keep those as potential serving kegs.

So I'm now cutting the the coupler opening out and installing the corny lid at the top. I'm also going to put a weldless ball lock post lower down on the side to use sort of like a tap. This will sit just above the domed bottom, will measure with water before i put this in and allow for 2ltr's below the tap. This should be enough to drop out yeast,trub,hops ect.

One of the problems i have found in the past when fermenting in a keg is that, if you don't have the keg closed and have top pressure. Its a pain in the arse to take a hydrometer sample.

This way because the ball lock post(tap), is only a few inches from the bottom you can just use gravity as per normal. The other idea that I like about using a ball lock post is that it will make transfering to other kegs very simple.

The purpose of this vessel is to be multi functional. I plan to ferment, condition, carbonate and potentially serve from the same vessel. Once fully carbonated I am looking to chill it and move to my fridge/freezer in the brew shed. Doing 45 or so litres I can draw off a corny for the keezer, Fill 9ltr cornies for partys, growlers ect and maybe i'll put a tap into that fridge for a brew shed beer.

Cheers

Did you check out youtube for getting the speer out? Got to get pliers in there and everything. My first one was a pain as I didn't know about the retaining bit.

I have the proper tool but this keg was stuffed, have done it a few times now so I know what to do.

Progress pic

image.jpeg

malt junkie said:
That lid has room for a second post.
No need for a second post, the liquid out post is situated lower down on the keg as I previously mentioned. Along with the pros of doing that.

Opening tool for D/S type kegs

Opening Tool.JPG

Ball Lock Liquid Post Attached

Ball lock post on keg.JPG

Just leak tested it and also did a measurement on how much liquid is left below the post/tap. The result is just over 4 ltrs which is a little higher than I'd wish but to have it on the side I couldn't go any lower.

My initial thought is that if i did it again i would install the post on the domed bottom towards the side hopefully leaving around 2ltrs.

Pitching 24litres of Simple Apple Cider to prove the theory.

Back