Kegmenter. Are they good to use?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mmmmm so many 'needs'.

They are certainly interesting, and quite a cost effective stainless fermenter, with the added bonus of pressure ferments. I'd ideally want a little more volume, 60l would be good, or two 30l ones.....

Hmmmm searching thinking searching thinking

Cheers

Hey Mr B. We have taken your advice and the requests from a few other brewers and done this for you:

https://www.kegland.com.au/29l-kegmenter-304-stainless-uni-tank-pressurisable-fermenter.html

https://www.kegland.com.au/58l-kegmenter-304-stainless-uni-tank-pressurisable-fermenter.html

I got this up and running over the weekend on a 50lt keg. I already had some of the parts but the whole lot would be about $100 all up.
IMG_20180611_211559.jpeg

I just bought a new one from Grain and Grape so its just a regular dip tube. It's in a "through the wall" keg post from GnG as well. That goes in to a 1/4" to 1/2" adapter, then in to a 1/2" T peice and then into a 1/2" to 2" tri clover. Same for the gas post.

The dip tube was a perfext height. Didnt need any trimming. It sits about 10mm from the bottom.

I got this up and running over the weekend on a 50lt keg. I already had some of the parts but the whole lot would be about $100 all up. View attachment 112782

We have been considering making something like this and selling it for about $50. If this is something of considerable interest we will start making it but it seems that most customers are going for the Kegmenters.

We have been considering making something like this and selling it for about $50. If this is something of considerable interest we will start making it but it seems that most customers are going for the Kegmenters.
I have a DIY keg cleaner that i hope will do the job other wise it will use to much water. A KL kegmemter is still on the wish list down the track.

Sadly I saw the 58 litre version after they sold out.
I’ve got a kk 50 litre version I just use as a keg as it’s too squeezy for my brew length of 47 to 50 litres.
Waiting for it to be back in stock...

Sadly I saw the 58 litre version after they sold out.
I’ve got a kk 50 litre version I just use as a keg as it’s too squeezy for my brew length of 47 to 50 litres.
Waiting for it to be back in stock...

Yes we did get this same enquiry from a number of customers which is the main reason why we now do 58L kegs.

Also we can deep draw the stainless halves of the keg to this maximum depth to make the 58L so it's the same cost to produce as it uses the same amount of raw material as the 50L keg. So I guess its also a bit more efficient in that respect too. TUnfortunately sold out until next container in 25th July. You can sign up to notifications for the product here:

https://www.kegland.com.au/58l-kegmenter-304-stainless-uni-tank-pressurisable-fermenter.html

I really like the kegmenters. My only problem with them is no thermowell. Is this something that could be welded into the pressure caps?

I really like the kegmenters. My only problem with them is no thermowell. Is this something that could be welded into the pressure caps?

If you are fermenting in a fridge (which is what we recommend) then we really feel a thermowell is not necessary. Would be keen to hear what other people think on this one. We feel that it's just one more thing to wash out and already you will get quite accurate temperature reading by taping the termometer to the outside of the fermenter/kegmenter

If you are fermenting in a fridge (which is what we recommend) then we really feel a thermowell is not necessary. Would be keen to hear what other people think on this one. We feel that it's just one more thing to wash out and already you will get quite accurate temperature reading by taping the termometer to the outside of the fermenter/kegmenter
I just find with a thermowell in my other fermenters I tend to get a better reading as it's taking the temp from the centre of the fermenter. I run all my fermenters in a fridge as well. Just a preference thing I guess.

If your using Brew Pi it's a must, and it is the best ferment control, now I'm not saying the yeast will know any difference over .5c, but being able to see on graph exactly when fermentation stopped is kinda special.

I thought that when you measure the centre of your wort and it is in a fridge, that around the outside would be significantly cooler?
Makes sense to the measure the outside to me since you would be controlling the majority of the wort.

I thought that when you measure the centre of your wort and it is in a fridge, that around the outside would be significantly cooler?
Makes sense to the measure the outside to me since you would be controlling the majority of the wort.
If you were cold crashing maybe, if your trying to maintain a steady temp is would be marginal. Brew pi measures the temp of the wort and the fridge temp the uses an algorithm to cool/heat for the right amount of time to affect the desired change in wort temp.

Shortening the dip tube is ok but we have found the best option is to use floating dip tube like this:

https://www.kegland.com.au/4-inch-t...sts-floating-dip-tube-and-prv-red-2-5bar.html
Just took delivery of two of the kegmenter lids with the floating dip-tubes as per your recommendation. The ball float and silicone tubing looks to be the same as that supplied for the Fermentasaurus. I think it will be a PITA to get the tubing supplied to fit over the beer tube post, at a minimum it’s going to require soaking the tubing in boiling water to get it it fit. Also, will the length of tubing supplied make it to the bottom of a 50L KK/58L KL Kegmenter?

I got this up and running over the weekend on a 50lt keg. I already had some of the parts but the whole lot would be about $100 all up. View attachment 112782
Hey nosco
I've gotta ask, which do you prefer, the kegmenter with a 2" opening or your dome-icle
The only thing pushing me away from the 2" opening is dry hopping and filling from a cube being a pain

I couldnt tell you sorry Spork. Ive only done 2 pilsners in it and the 2nd one is still in the ferm fridge (i pitched the 2nd on the first yeast cake) . Im not even sure how its gonna clean up. I do like my dome-icle though.

Im going to do as a few others have done or doing. Get the cheap bits from China and makey own. 2" tri clamp and ball valve. Flip it over and cut a hole for a corny lid. I already have some aluminium to make a frame. But considering i just bought a SS Brewbucket it might take a lot more time than originally planned.

View attachment 95062
Sorry @nosco one other question, I'm guessing the 2" tri clamp to 1/2" thread fitting you used is the below one?
Because I can't find any other anywhere on the usual sites
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-T...rch0104.8.28.319b11880PFHL3&priceBeautifyAB=0

Latest posts

Back