Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, I missed this statement. The mini kegerator is coming along and we are pretty much done with the design process. We are moving to tooling now. Normally we would have about 2 months getting tooling completed, then another 2 months of internal testing and then once this is completed we will move to approvals and this can take 2-4 months. So at a bit of a guess I would say we are 6-8 months from getting the mini kegerator finished now.
Any updates?

Yep, i have the temp controller using the pill temperature as the controlling temperature. You can put the probe anywhere else and can monitor it but it does not use this
can you do things like set it to ramp up temp for a d rest once a certain gravity is reached?

you mean this type of beer gun right? Yes it's a bit annoying I would agree. You can put a ball valve into the beerline but this to some extend defeats the purpose of the device. The reason why this type of beer gun foams much less is because the tube is kept full of beer right down to the tip and thus this design requires a seal at the tip. With that said we should probably design a better one ourselves.

I should say we have a device that will automatically purge and fill bottles that will come out at the end of the year so if you wanted to wait a bit I think this new device is probably a good option for you.
Yes it will be suitable for bottles and cans and will automatically purge and fill the container. It can fit vessels down to 250ml and be suitable for the large champagne bottles. We are just tooling up at the moment but it will be about 6 months away to get it completed. It will sell for about $100. By the sounds of it it's exactly what you need but it's just not completed yet.

Any sneak peeks on what your planning?
I'm already super interested

Yes that is correct. The RAPT temp controller will use the wifi connection to your household wifi and then the Pill will need to be in Bluetooth mode (not wifi) and then the Pill will give out Low Energy Bluetooth beacons that the RAPT temp controller will pickup and "bridge" back to the RAPT internet portal
A friend and I were talking about slow cooked BBQ (American style) and it got me thinking... I wonder if you could use the RAPT platform for a low cost "holding oven". The are usesd to hold food at safe temps for extended periods of time, longer than can be done with a simple esky/cooler.

Hi - Currently looking to improve my end product by investing in temperature control for fermentation. Have been looking at going down either the Glycol route or getting Rapt Temp controller + 2nd hand fridge. Can you comment on the pro's and cons of these two options? I am also keen to get one of the SS fermzilla's when they launch. Is this going to be of similar dimensions to the existing FZ 27L (for fridge sizing)?

A friend and I were talking about slow cooked BBQ (American style) and it got me thinking... I wonder if you could use the RAPT platform for a low cost "holding oven". The are usesd to hold food at safe temps for extended periods of time, longer than can be done with a simple esky/cooler.

The easiest way to do this is just to use the RAPT temp controller box. This box is able to control an electric element turning on and off. The probe that comes included with this box goes up to 120C.

If however you want the smoker to go hotter than this then you should also purchase the RAPT Bluetooth Temperature probe. This device can be paired with the temp controller box so you can use this BLE probe rather than the inbuilt RAPT temp probe on the temp controller box.

The RAPT Bluetooth probe means you can control elements with the temp control box up to 300C.

No this was around the upgrade kit for existing Fermzilla owners to the new Tri-Clamp version.

Yes we are going to do this soon. We are struggling to keep up with demand at the moment for the fermzilla tri-conical kits but once we get ontop of this and get more supply of the stock we will start to make the upgrade kits too so you can upgrade your older Gen 2 in the the new Gen 3 Tri-conical model.

Hi - Currently looking to improve my end product by investing in temperature control for fermentation. Have been looking at going down either the Glycol route or getting Rapt Temp controller + 2nd hand fridge. Can you comment on the pro's and cons of these two options? I am also keen to get one of the SS fermzilla's when they launch. Is this going to be of similar dimensions to the existing FZ 27L (for fridge sizing)?

Although we move a lot of glycol chillers I think the RAPT fermentation chamber is awesome and I love using this myself. Sure you can save money and get an old fridge and use the temp controller box but I really like using the RAPT Fermentation chamber myself as its purpose built, looks great in my garage and i also use it for keg storage or drinks storage when I have larger parties and my household fridge is too small.

When it comes to glycol even though we do have a lot of glycol products I find that they are messy, electrically inefficient, more annoying with hoses and cables connecting tanks to the chiller and works out to be more parts to clean in the fermenter if you are using a glycol coil or something.

So I would stay away from glycol in my opinion.

Sorry I was getting a bit carried away with the comparison. We do not have a release date for the FermZilla SS yet as we are still in the testing phase. Things seem to be going well at this stage so I would be dissapointed if we were not able to release this product by the second half of 2022.
Hey Kegland, how are things progressing with the fermzilla ss? Are you close to showing us anything yet?

I've come here to ask the same thing! Very keen to hear progress, and particularly any news of when it might be coming to the UK.

We probably will not release the FermZilla SS product in UK until early 2023. We normally like to release in Australia first and then once we have enough supply of stock we will start to release in Europe.

Will be brewing indoors soon and was looking to get the steam condenser. Was thinking the pot still would do the same job? Kill 2 birds with 1 stone...
Good idea or not?

Will be brewing indoors soon and was looking to get the steam condenser. Was thinking the pot still would do the same job? Kill 2 birds with 1 stone...
Good idea or not?

It technically could do it but it would consume about 10 times more water. The steam condenser is quite a bit more water efficient.

Good idea or not?

It's probably worth noting that by the end of this year we will also have several other new distillation bits of gear that are more comprehensive and some of these parts have higher heat exchange efficiency (but cost more) and these ones will still use more water than a dedicated steam condenser but be more water efficient than our current pot stills if you use them as a steam condenser. So this could be another option for you too.

To give you some idea the new distillation equipment that might come in stock at the end of this year will probably use about twice as much water as the current steam condenser rather than 10 times. So perhaps this one is a better compromise but you would have to wait.

Latest posts

Back