Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, and I agree with others, please fix the website. It's hot garbage.

30 seconds to load a page in 2021 is laughable (particularly for an online shop!)

Yes I am on your side with this one. We have just got a new web developer working with us now and I am confident he will be able to speed the website up. It's embarrasingly slow.

As our kegs will be made from a PET/Mono Oxygen Barrier Blend we are restricted to the preform blow mould manufacturing method. So this type of window on the side of the bottle is not possible with this manufacturing method. These types of bottles are made using the co-extrusion blow mould method and is done using Polyethylene. So we would not be able to do this.
Any update on these?

Any update on these?

The PCO38 Kegs themselves are already finished but we are just finishing some of the accessories such as the parts for the tapping caps. We are ontrack to release this product before the end of the year but I cannot give an exact date yet.

Last edited:
The PCO38 Kegs themselves are already finished but we are just finishing some of the accessories such as the parts for the tapping caps. We are ontrack to release this product before the end of the year but I cannot give an exact date yet.
Can you start selling the kegs
Can you start selling the kegs then?

Can you start selling the kegs

Can you start selling the kegs then?

They are really not that useful just on their own so we are waiting for the other parts to also come into stock before selling them all. I think we should have a launch date very soon though as it's really just a couple small parts that are missing from the whole assembly. Also due to popular demand and requests from you guys we will be making a smaller 4L design too so this will be released in the not too distant future.

They are really not that useful just on their own so we are waiting for the other parts to also come into stock before selling them all. I think we should have a launch date very soon though as it's really just a couple small parts that are missing from the whole assembly. Also due to popular demand and requests from you guys we will be making a smaller 4L design too so this will be released in the not too distant future.
Wouldn't the pco1881 fit?
That's what I am using for 2l bottles

Wouldn't the pco1881 fit?
That's what I am using for 2l bottles

These PCO38 kegs use a 38mm neck that is larger than the PCO1881 neck. For this reason we need to use the PCO38 to PCO1881 tapping head.

It would have been ice to use the PCO1881 neck but the issue is that when you go to larger bottle diameter sizes you need to increase the size of the neck of the container to maintain optimum stretch ratios to make sure we can get good strength and oxygen barrier properties. If the plastic is stretched too much or too little it will end up compramising strength and gas barrier performance.

Hey @KegLand-com-au, I don't want to be that guy, but I am very keen to get into all grain and really just waiting for the Brewzilla 4.0. Given everything with the pandemic, do you still think we'll see something this year?

These PCO38 kegs use a 38mm neck that is larger than the PCO1881 neck. For this reason we need to use the PCO38 to PCO1881 tapping head.

It would have been ice to use the PCO1881 neck but the issue is that when you go to larger bottle diameter sizes you need to increase the size of the neck of the container to maintain optimum stretch ratios to make sure we can get good strength and oxygen barrier properties. If the plastic is stretched too much or too little it will end up compramising strength and gas barrier performance.
Oh OK.
There goes that plan then.
Makes a cheap bottle expensive after you spend the extra $25 to use it.
Cheers 🍻

Last edited:
Hey @KegLand-com-au, I don't want to be that guy, but I am very keen to get into all grain and really just waiting for the Brewzilla 4.0. Given everything with the pandemic, do you still think we'll see something this year?

If you are in Australia we will have stock arriving before the end of the year for the BrewZilla Gen 4.0. We will continue to sell both the Gen 4 and the older 3.1.1 at the same time as it will take several months to get the new Gen 4.0 production line up to full speed and also the price of the Gen 4.0 will be about $100 more expensive but have quite a few additional advantages. At the end of the day you can make award winning beer from both of them but the Gen 4 will have the main advantages:

1. Easier to clean with CIP options
2. It can drain out completely
3. It will come with the RAPT controller so you can turn on/off and program profiles remotely using the APP or using a web connected device.
4. It will log the previous brews

We also have a bunch of new accessories too and the accessories will be backward compatible with the older 3.1.1. Some of the accessories include new improved distillation lid, boiler extensionand a few others.

Sweet, I am definitely happy to keep using the stock pot until the new gen comes out.

Thanks for the update and looking forward to fighting with the masses to try and secure one. ;)

Hi folks,

Unfortunately my fermenting fridge can only fit a flat bottom Fermzilla in it. Last cold crash I did sucked the whole 700ml of sanitiser the blow off pipe was sitting in back into the beer when I cold crashed it. Also unfortunately is the fact my work has been grounded (literally!) by this whole covid situation so there isn’t really any options to upgrade at the moment.

I’ve searched high and low and been unable to find any good techniques to cold crash with the flat bottom without sucking fluids in. Bearing in mind it can’t really be pressurised, does anyone have any good solutions to cold crash without sucking in a bunch of fluid?

Also while I’m here does anyone have any good ideas on how to make a big blow off tube for the flat bottom?
I’m using the small hole in the middle into some tubing but with a crazy fermenting beer it can block a bit. Would rather use one the bigger holes with the caps but can’t find any solutions.

Thanks for any input anyone can offer and keep up the awesome work Kegland!

Cheers

Hi folks,

Unfortunately my fermenting fridge can only fit a flat bottom Fermzilla in it. Last cold crash I did sucked the whole 700ml of sanitiser the blow off pipe was sitting in back into the beer when I cold crashed it. Also unfortunately is the fact my work has been grounded (literally!) by this whole covid situation so there isn’t really any options to upgrade at the moment.

I’ve searched high and low and been unable to find any good techniques to cold crash with the flat bottom without sucking fluids in. Bearing in mind it can’t really be pressurised, does anyone have any good solutions to cold crash without sucking in a bunch of fluid?

Also while I’m here does anyone have any good ideas on how to make a big blow off tube for the flat bottom?
I’m using the small hole in the middle into some tubing but with a crazy fermenting beer it can block a bit. Would rather use one the bigger holes with the caps but can’t find any solutions.

Cheers
Look like you need to fashion yourself one of these: Suck back solutions

It could be much simpler than this actually...you could do it with one jar. You just need a tall or broad vertical vent pipe, that you know the inner diameter of. Then you can pour less water into the jar than that tube can hold...

No wait, even simpler...you just need a lid with 2 ports. The first a gas in, no straw, the second with a straw connected...the straw needs to sit off the bottom of the jar. Pour enough water in down the straw port so that the base of the straw is JUST submerged. That's all. When gas pushes down on the water, it'll push a tad into the straw, but the gas will rush up past the water in the straw. This whole process will be easiest if that straw some diameter about it...at least as big as a bottle filling tube I'd say (at a guess). Maybe rig a cup/funnel on top of the straw port, so any water that is pushed out then runs back down into the jar.

Last edited:

You might be able to rig up something like this with tubing/beer line you have lying around: CO2 Harvester Kit. NorCal Brewing Solutions
I have done something similar in the past with the kegland carb caps and soft drink bottles.

A cheap solution would be to use those bottle caps with holes for the airlock, some grommets, 9.5mm OD tubing and the pco tee pieces kegland sell… but don’t think they sell those caps separately.

Or I believe people use this sort of thing: https://www.kmart.com.au/product/10...jEYMC3vVoxQJm-kPzD8aAqo4EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

You could use one of these on the PCO threads: PCO1881 x 3/4, from there you could use a 3/4 thread to 13mm barb and run that as your blow off. Might be an expensive solution though.

If that ends up being too tall, you could use one of these to have it exit to the side: PCO 1881 Carbonation Cap Tee Piece

I'm not sure how you'd block the middle port though? (where the current 3 piece sits)

Cheers

Or even cheaper and simpler, buy one of these, Yellow Plastic Carbonation & Line Cleaning Cap & FermZilla Pressure Cap remove the poppet and spring and put tubing over the end.

If you are in Australia we will have stock arriving before the end of the year for the BrewZilla Gen 4.0. We will continue to sell both the Gen 4 and the older 3.1.1 at the same time as it will take several months to get the new Gen 4.0 production line up to full speed and also the price of the Gen 4.0 will be about $100 more expensive but have quite a few additional advantages. At the end of the day you can make award winning beer from both of them but the Gen 4 will have the main advantages:

1. Easier to clean with CIP options
2. It can drain out completely
3. It will come with the RAPT controller so you can turn on/off and program profiles remotely using the APP or using a web connected device.
4. It will log the previous brews

We also have a bunch of new accessories too and the accessories will be backward compatible with the older 3.1.1. Some of the accessories include new improved distillation lid, boiler extensionand a few others.
Will the Gen 4 the $100 dearer than the current 3.1.1?
Or will the 3.1.1 be discounted?

Hoping to get something soon... but the tightarse in me will settle for a disounted next to latest model.

Last edited:
Will the Gen 4 the $100 dearer than the current 3.1.1?
Or will the 3.1.1 be discounted?

Hoping to get something soon... but the tightarse in me will settle for a disounted next to latest model.

Once the Gen 4 is released we will continue to sell the 3.1.1 for about 6 months or so. The additional $100 is to cover the quite high tooling cost for the new element and base designs and also the electronics/screen and other internal components are more expensive in the Gen 4. With that said the Gen 4 will be even more feature packed than other breweies that are still double the price.

Hi folks,

Cheers

Hahaha. Yes I remember doing the same thing a long time ago. You can use an air filter like this instead of the air lock:

https://www.kegland.com.au/0-2-micron-air-filter-1247.html
This will not solve the porblem of sucking in oxygen though. Really pressure rated ferementers are the best for keeping your beer oxygen free. Right at this moment 60% of all the fermenters we sell are this 30L all Rounder kit and they are really a nice and simple solution that doesnt break the bank. I really think you have to upgrade to a sligthly larger fermentation fridge.

Alternatively I have seen people do things like attache a baloon to the end of the blow off tube to capture CO2 then when you crash chill the baloon then fills the head space of the fermenter. So solutions like this do exist but they are a bit of stuffing around.

Just take apart the 3 piece airlock and put a length of 13mm hose over it.
IMG_20210729_094010.jpg

Back