Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for sharing your rationale.

My concern is about long-term deep cleaning and utility if the pump has failed. I have little concern about the in-brew sediment in the pump - I bought my bz65L on the day you launched it and the false bottoms works well for filtering.

Is the new BZ going to feature the same pump as the current models? Is it rated for hot caustic?

Thanks for that clarification. We are using a very similar model of pump to the previous models with some very minor changes. Yes you can use the pump with hot caustic no problem if that is what you want to do. You can get equally good products that are much safer such as the PBW so this is normally what we would recommend for cleaning.

Thanks for your support with the BZ65L. We appreciate it. I still use this model myself.

With respect to pump cleaning one thing we are making a major change with is making the pump much more accessable for cleaning so there is no reason to remove the base anymore. Without any tools you can disconnect the pump hoses if you wanted to. With that said if you use a CIP wash with PBW, then rinse quickly with water then turn upside down to dry out this will do a sufficient job on the new model.

Do you think your concerns about the pump would be resolved seeing as the pump is more accessable in the new model?

Thanks @KegLand-com-au , that sounds like a big improvement in the design of the pump and integration with the unit.

It's rare that I use caustic for cleaning, I typically use a mix of PBW and pure sodium perc, but it is something I want to be able to do if needed (soaking a bunch of non-BZ stainless bits, and pumping the caustic through a fermenter for CIP).

Having to repeatedly invert the BZ during and after cleaning it is not ideal - having to only do this once at the end of a cleaning run would be appreciated.

Will the new model have the same style base? Will there be any change in design that prevents liquid that runs down the side of the vessel ending up in the base? I have made a skirt out of tape to go over the rolled edge on mine.

Thanks @KegLand-com-au , that sounds like a big improvement in the design of the pump and integration with the unit.

It's rare that I use caustic for cleaning, I typically use a mix of PBW and pure sodium perc, but it is something I want to be able to do if needed (soaking a bunch of non-BZ stainless bits, and pumping the caustic through a fermenter for CIP).

Having to repeatedly invert the BZ during and after cleaning it is not ideal - having to only do this once at the end of a cleaning run would be appreciated.

Will the new model have the same style base? Will there be any change in design that prevents liquid that runs down the side of the vessel ending up in the base? I have made a skirt out of tape to go over the rolled edge on mine.

I have to be a bit careful about what I say as we do want to save some of the product features for the product release later this year. The base on the new model is made quite differently as we feel that it's important to raise the electronics into a position where it's easier to read the temperature and use the buttons. With respect to liquid running down this is difficult to avoid. If you get a boil over the liquid has to go somewhere and it's hard to design the brewery so it doesnt drip down the side of the brewery. With that said because the controller is in a higher position the liquid from a boil over will not get on the controller and the controller can be easily removed for cleaning.

I should also say we will very soon have a boil extender that fits onto all brewzilla models (new and old) which will potentially solve this boil over issue. The boil extender will clamp down on the rim of the brewery forming a water tight seal and extend the boil capacity by 15L or so. So if you wanted to prevent boil overs I think this fairly inexpensive accessory will be a good option for you.

I should also say we will very soon have a boil extender that fits onto all brewzilla models (new and old) which will potentially solve this boil over issue. The boil extender will clamp down on the rim of the brewery forming a water tight seal and extend the boil capacity by 15L or so.
I tried to make one of these for my robobrew 35 as it seemed such a logical thing, I expect it will improve grain bill capacity as well with a few mods to the malt pipe.

I have to be a bit careful about what I say as we do want to save some of the product features for the product release later this year. The base on the new model is made quite differently as we feel that it's important to raise the electronics into a position where it's easier to read the temperature and use the buttons. With respect to liquid running down this is difficult to avoid. If you get a boil over the liquid has to go somewhere and it's hard to design the brewery so it doesnt drip down the side of the brewery. With that said because the controller is in a higher position the liquid from a boil over will not get on the controller and the controller can be easily removed for cleaning.

I should also say we will very soon have a boil extender that fits onto all brewzilla models (new and old) which will potentially solve this boil over issue. The boil extender will clamp down on the rim of the brewery forming a water tight seal and extend the boil capacity by 15L or so. So if you wanted to prevent boil overs I think this fairly inexpensive accessory will be a good option for you.
Understood. Moving the electronics up definitely improves usability, but again you'd need a splash guard to keep them safe from liquid running down the side.

My issue isn't really with boilovers - they've been rare and haven't had one for years - it's more of an issue with cleaning. Any water that hits the site of the vessel runs down beside he gap in the rolled steel edge and collects in the base.

Either way it is interesting to hear about your additional screen. I'd probably be more interested in a stainless conical vented lid, but not really something that's necessary for me. (something like what you'd find on a commercial vessel, like this braumeister accessory Braumeister Stainless Hood | MoreBeer)

Last edited:
Understood. Moving the electronics up definitely improves usability, but again you'd need a splash guard to keep them safe from liquid running down the side.

My issue isn't really with boilovers - they've been rare and haven't had one for years - it's more of an issue with cleaning. Any water that hits the site of the vessel runs down beside he gap in the rolled steel edge and collects in the base.

Either way it is interesting to hear about your additional screen. I'd probably be more interested in a stainless conical vented lid, but not really something that's necessary for me. (something like what you'd find on a commercial vessel, like this braumeister accessory Braumeister Stainless Hood | MoreBeer)

Yes we are making new conical lids for the BrewZilla units with tri=clover 2inch and 4inch openings on the top. These can be used for brewing but also we have some customers attaching large stills to the top and required more robust lids that could take the additional weight and also lids that required ports for adding botanicals half way through the boil (so you dont have to remove the whole lid).

Yes we are making new conical lids for the BrewZilla units with tri=clover 2inch and 4inch openings on the top. These can be used for brewing but also we have some customers attaching large stills to the top and required more robust lids that could take the additional weight and also lids that required ports for adding botanicals half way through the boil (so you dont have to remove the whole lid).
Thanks - do you have an ETA? I've a bowl I can possibly modify in the meantime, but won't bother if this product isn't far away

The boil extender will clamp down on the rim of the brewery forming a water tight seal and extend the boil capacity by 15L or so. So if you wanted to prevent boil overs I think this fairly inexpensive accessory will be a good option for you.

This is a good move.

Is it possible to make it so the wire support (for the malt pipe) slots into the extender?

I like the ease of no-sparging, but as-is, to avoid overflowing the water and malt in the malt pipe, I end up needing to make a smaller final volume than I’d usually like.

Setting slots for the wire support at around 37/42/47 litres would be awesome. You could even sell a longer malt pipe for bigger batches/grain bills

Don’t forget to nudge your distributors in the US on the corny liner bags. I am waiting patiently but definitely want these for my real ales.

any update on the keg liners? …and gettjng them in the US for those of us who want to dispense real ale.

For the G20 what options are there for plugging into the heating blade connectors? Would like to run a heating wrap mat for example.

Thanks - do you have an ETA? I've a bowl I can possibly modify in the meantime, but won't bother if this product isn't far away

I think we are still about 4 months away from getting these in stock so it's a bit of a wait unfortunately. The new punches take a while to make and we only just pushed go on these new designs.

This is a good move.

Is it possible to make it so the wire support (for the malt pipe) slots into the extender?

I like the ease of no-sparging, but as-is, to avoid overflowing the water and malt in the malt pipe, I end up needing to make a smaller final volume than I’d usually like.

Setting slots for the wire support at around 37/42/47 litres would be awesome. You could even sell a longer malt pipe for bigger batches/grain bills

Yes this is not included but can be purchased separately. The boil extender will just be the straight extension but you can purchase and fit this to it if you want to:
https://www.kegland.com.au/brewzilla-35l-digiboil-wire-malt-pipe-support.html
You could also just remove the wire from the main part of the boiler and then just install this onto the upper part of the extension.

any update on the keg liners? …and gettjng them in the US for those of us who want to dispense real ale.

We are still doing further testing on these and we have been making some changes to the shape to make them draw faster and allow for faster filling. On the first ones that we manfuactured the fastest you could fill was about 1liter per minute which is a bit annoying so we are making changes to the design to allow for faster filling and dispensing. Hopefully these new designs will be finished and released in Australia in about 2 months. Then in USA they will be available hopefully in about 5-6 months from now.

For the G20 what options are there for plugging into the heating blade connectors? Would like to run a heating wrap mat for example.

With the G20 Chillers We do have an isolated relay already on the board for these. So if you are ok with the wiring it's not that difficult to wire up a DC or AC device to this. Basically you connect the neutral/negative to the heating device then the active/positive through the relay and that's it. If you need more assistance with this best to probably email us with the parts you have with photos then we can give you some further advice over email to suit your particular wiring.

@KegLand-com-au

I can see you're selling some accessories for the BruBuilt:
https://www.kegland.com.au/brewbuilt-pressure-pack-with-floating-dip-tube.html
Does this mean you'll be bringing in a similar product (SS Unitank) ?

Yes we are going to distribute the BrewBuilt fermenters and stainless hardware in Australia. We did contemplate stocking things like SS BrewTech but the price is high and I think the quality is not even as good as the BrewBuilt gear so we have decided to stock BrewBuilt instead.

I am all for more 4" TC compatible fermentation attachments - one with an inexpensive dry hop / fruiting port could be interesting.

For anyone interested in the Brewbuilt fermentation gear (they are a morebeer brand from the US), here's an entertainingly similar post to one you'd find on this forum: Spike CF5 vs Brewbuilt X1 Unti-Tank

In any case, that whole HBT thread is probably worth a read to anyone considering the BB unitank when it is available locally.

Back