Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Glengine
I put a spare ispindel in the fridge in a simple container and it links to brewspy. I have a notification setup in case fridge temp rises or falls outside my preset range.

@KegLand-com-au
Any chance of getting in some bigger conical flasks? Your 5L one is much closer to 4L than 5L and is too small for a double batch lager.

That is a fair point. I will look into this and see if we can get some larger sizes. From what I understand these are already getting close to the maximum we can source.

The only larger size of glass vessel we have now is these very large 23L ones:
https://www.kegland.com.au/23l-glass-carboy-italian-made.html
I should say we have a large shipment of glass arriving soon like these ones above so at least the price will come down but i have not heard of people using these for yeast starters and they are not borosilicate so you cant put them onto a flame and boil in them.

Hey @KegLand-com-au , I posted on FB but didn't get a comment - it came up again yesterday - any thoughts on producing a similar product to the Plaato Keg? I think there is a bit of interest and can't imagine that they'd be too complicated to manufacture.

Also cheeky question - any ETA on the RAPT Pill? :)

Cheers

Hey @KegLand-com-au , I posted on FB but didn't get a comment - it came up again yesterday - any thoughts on producing a similar product to the Plaato Keg? I think there is a bit of interest and can't imagine that they'd be too complicated to manufacture.

Cheers

You said "copy" wrong 😂

Can't you just order a plaato keg? They have done all the hard yards in developing, designing and making the product.

You said "copy" wrong 😂

Can't you just order a plaato keg? They have done all the hard yards in developing, designing and making the product.

haha I was being diplomatic.

Absolutely I could buy one - or three in my case - It'd just set me back ~$400AUD which I think is a bit pricey. I guess similar to the tilt / RAPT pill - I suspect the RAPT will be as good if not better and 1/5th the price... I might just suck it up and get the Plaato Keg, but...

Yes it's highly likely that we come up with a method of measuring how much beer you have in the kegs and link this to the RAPT portal. Using a load cell like the Plaato is relatively straight forward and it works abut we want to try and make other methods work first that are less cumbersome than load cells. The RAPT chamber is going to be released soon and also very shortly after the RAPT hydrometer and RAPT Temp Control Box then RAPT BrewZilla. Once all these are finished we will then focus on the RAPT gas controller or maybe the RAPT keg level checker but this will probably be in early 2022.

@KegLand-com-au did you guys test the bishop tap handles on a 3 tap tower font, with Nukataps that like to angle backwards a few degrees? They're too bulky and you end up with one of the 3 taps slightly open. I think they need to go back to the drawing board - they're far bulkier than they need to be. I've just wasted $60.

You said "copy" wrong 😂

It is not that much of a novel solution, I built my own set before plaato did, it sends the data to my phone. People have been building WiFi enabled load cells for years, plaato doesn't own a monopoly on those.

Last edited:
@KegLand-com-au did you guys test the bishop tap handles on a 3 tap tower font, with Nukataps that like to angle backwards a few degrees? They're too bulky and you end up with one of the 3 taps slightly open. I think they need to go back to the drawing board - they're far bulkier than they need to be. I've just wasted $60.

On the Single, Double and Quad fonts the Bishop Tap Handles work fine. With the triple font you are right and it's a tight fit but normally we solve this by just tilting the left and right hand tap outwards sligthly.

The RAPT chamber is going to be released soon and also very shortly after the RAPT hydrometer and RAPT Temp Control Box then RAPT BrewZilla.

This is super exciting! Do you think the new BrewZilla is still likely to come out this year? I am so keen to get into All Grain, but waiting for the new version.

The RAPT chamber is going to be released soon and also very shortly after the RAPT hydrometer and RAPT Temp Control Box then RAPT BrewZilla. Once all these are finished we will then focus on the RAPT gas controller or maybe the RAPT keg level checker but this will probably be in early 2022.
Will the RAPT BrewZilla be bottom-draining / have CIP capability?

This is super exciting! Do you think the new BrewZilla is still likely to come out this year? I am so keen to get into All Grain, but waiting for the new version.

Yes we would be dissapointed if we were not able to release the new BrewZilla models this year. At this stage it looks like we are on track for release in Australia toward the end of 2021 and perhaps for other overseas countries they will get stock in early to mid 2022.

Sorry @KegLand-com-au - I'm a bit confused by this reply... I was asking about the brewzilla, not the fridge :)

Sorry about that. Yes, we are working on some really great CIP optionsn for the new BrewZilla units whereby the integrated pump will be used for the CIP. This is something we are working on right now.

Sorry about that. Yes, we are working on some really great CIP optionsn for the new BrewZilla units whereby the integrated pump will be used for the CIP. This is something we are working on right now.
Sounds great.... so it will be bottom-draining?

Presuming so, will the bottom drain be into the pump?

I'd prefer the pump return be a higher take-off, so the bottom can be a true drain without collecting in the pump...

Sounds great.... so it will be bottom-draining?

Presuming so, will the bottom drain be into the pump?

I'd prefer the pump return be a higher take-off, so the bottom can be a true drain without collecting in the pump...

That seems to be different to what we have heard from other customers. We have been talking to other customers who want the pump to draw everything out of the vessel and thus be at the lowest point.

I know some customers with other brewery models complain about the hops and other stuff getting blocked in the pump but with our false bottom screen that is in every BrewZilla 35L, 65 and 100L this is really not an issue.

We could quite easily supply a small riser that you could push into the pump inlet hole so it would only pickup liquid from a certain height but my gut feeling is that this would not really be necessary.

That seems to be different to what we have heard from other customers. We have been talking to other customers who want the pump to draw everything out of the vessel and thus be at the lowest point.

I know some customers with other brewery models complain about the hops and other stuff getting blocked in the pump but with our false bottom screen that is in every BrewZilla 35L, 65 and 100L this is really not an issue.

We could quite easily supply a small riser that you could push into the pump inlet hole so it would only pickup liquid from a certain height but my gut feeling is that this would not really be necessary.
Thanks for sharing your rationale.

My concern is about long-term deep cleaning and utility if the pump has failed. I have little concern about the in-brew sediment in the pump - I bought my bz65L on the day you launched it and the false bottoms works well for filtering.

Is the new BZ going to feature the same pump as the current models? Is it rated for hot caustic?

Back