Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@KegLand-com-au .
On your website shop, you state that your Caustic Soda comes with a 10g scoop - StellarSoda - 100% Caustic Soda - Sodium Hydroxide (1kg 35oz)(in Bucket with 10g Scoop)
In fact the scoop holds just on 25g. My point is that if an unsuspecting user was to mix the Caustic Soda with water based on the stated scoop capacity, they could be seriously overusing the product - could be extremely dangerous. The same goes for the other cleaning products with the scoop except that excess cleaning agent won't hurt - it will just cost two and a half times what it should.
I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong, but if I'm right, then the description needs to be changed (as does the video)

Thanks so much for this. We really appreciate it. We have got this fixed up and changed the description. I am not sure how this got missed previously.

Bump...

Even just the heat tolerance of the EVA barrier would be great

The outside of the EVABarrier beer line has a sheeth of ethylene-vinyl acetate in it and this should not go above 55C. So you can use warm water. If you go too hot the line will start to get soft and it's burst pressure is less at elevated temperatures. At cold temperatures the EVABarrier line will hold approximately:
4mm ID - 200psi
5mm ID - 150psi
6mm ID - 150psi
When you raise the temperauture to 60C temperature you will get about half the pressure holding capacity.

If for some reason you need some tubing to go to higher pressures at higher temperatures this line is better but not suitable for long term beer storage as PE as poor oxygen barrier:
https://www.kegland.com.au/pe-water-line-beer-gas-4mm-5-32-x-6-3mm-1-4-10m-roll-reverse-osmosis.html
We will be stocking the 8mm(5/16") PE line and 9.5(3/8") soon and this will be better at higher temperatures but will have the same issue and when the temperature is higher the pressure holding capacity is also reduced.

For all the duotight fittings and plastic disconnects these can go up to 100C fairly easily. The whole duotight range can go up to a minimum of 190psi or higher. Most of the 1/4" range will go easily over 250psi. As you get to the larger diameter fittings like the 3/8 the pressure rating is closer to 190psi. If you take these fittings up to 100C it will de-rate the pressure rating by about 30%. We are in the process of making further changes to the duotight fittings and changing over from Acetal to Polykeytone as this is a more chemically resistant plastic and during this change we are also improving the pressure holding capacity too but this process only started recently and will take about 6months or so to transission onto all the new fittings.

Last edited:
A couple of months on from the last update, I figure I'd just give this one a bump and see how things are progressing?

Very sorry about the long delay on the RAPT Fermentation Chamber. We have had some long delays with this product and it's been one of the most complicated products to complete that we have ever made. The first shipment of these will arrive in approximately 7 weeks from now and we will update the website with the exact date once they are on the boat.

I should say that with the first couple of shipment these will be fine but the worldwide shortage of silicone semi-conductors will cause some supply issues after this. We have enough of the electronics for the first 2 or 3 shipments of the RAPT Fermentation Chamber but then after this we might have some supply issues caused by microprocessor shortages. This is out of our control unfortunately but we envisave the first few shipments in particular will sell very fast.

The good news for you guys is that all stock of the RAPT Fermentation Chambers will be shipped to Australia only in the first 4-5months and international orders to America, Europe and other countries will only be fulfilled after this. So at least you get the product before anyone else.

Any chance of a very rough eta on the new brewzilla?

It's difficult to say. We have decided to make further changes to the base of the BrewZilla to assist with the unit draining out and also making the new model suitable for CIP. This was only a later change and it's taking some time to confirm if we can easily mass produce this new shape base boiler.

@KegLand-com-au Just an idea for the collection container on the fermzilla.
It would be awesome if you could make the bottom of the collection container fit to a plastic spanner like the ones used for cubes.
The strap spanner currently used for untightening is not great

I have a question about the Brewzilla 65L. I've been brewing in a Grainfather 30L, but now I'm wanting to increase my output, so the Brewzilla is looking good to me.

The problem is that I presently only have 10amp sockets in my garage. I plan to install a couple of 15amp jobs, but that might be down the track a bit. So if I only have 10amp, that means I only get to use two elements. Hence the question.

If I brew a 60L batch in the Brewzilla with just two elements, just how slowly will my brew day go? Will it take forever to reach strike temp and boil temp? Will it be able to hold the boil in a cold garage in winter? I could stand it if it added an hour or so to my brew day, and I could start heating the strike water early, but will it work at all, or will it be completely hopeless?

Many thanks for any and all opinions.

I have a question about the Brewzilla 65L. I've been brewing in a Grainfather 30L, but now I'm wanting to increase my output, so the Brewzilla is looking good to me.

The problem is that I presently only have 10amp sockets in my garage. I plan to install a couple of 15amp jobs, but that might be down the track a bit. So if I only have 10amp, that means I only get to use two elements. Hence the question.

If I brew a 60L batch in the Brewzilla with just two elements, just how slowly will my brew day go? Will it take forever to reach strike temp and boil temp? Will it be able to hold the boil in a cold garage in winter? I could stand it if it added an hour or so to my brew day, and I could start heating the strike water early, but will it work at all, or will it be completely hopeless?

Many thanks for any and all opinions.
I'd be sticking to single batches if you are going to run the 65L on 10A. I have done many single 21L batches (usually no sparge) with ease for a quick and simple brew day. I doubt you would be able to get a double / 42L batch boiling on 10A at all, even in the tropics...

One option could be to find another separate circuit nearby and run an immersion element over the side, as a stopgap until you get a 15A point.

You could run 2 kettles, 1 electric and one gas kettle. I have done that plenty of times, and it gives a non electric back up system in case the power goes off. I currently run 2 electric mash tun/kettles, an old 35L Guten + 65L Digiboil converted with a malt pipe and external pump to a basic Brewzilla, but I have 3 phase electrickery to play with. I still have a 50L gas keggle setup as HLT for back up. Essentially a hybrid 3v setup i suppose, but I am currently doing 80L batches (in the fermenters). I use the pumps to continuously circulate between the 2 kettles on sparge/ramp up to boil and after boil during crash cool down using only 1 large immersion cooling coil and because its continuously circulating, it cools, mixes and whirlpools all at the same time.
IMG_20210517_112342.jpgIMG_20210517_144851.jpg
The vessel on the right in blue is the keggle, I can lift off the table top board and there is a high pressure gas burner under there ready to fire up anytime I need it. But usually its role is a HLT with an over the side immersion heater coupled to home made Inkbird style controller. You could run the gas keggle and the Brewzilla with pumps circulating on ramp up and that will boost heating and cut down the ramp time, sort of like a crude gas HERMS.
IMG_20210517_120745.jpg

@KegLand-com-au any ETA on the digital mini gauge yet?

Thanks

Sorry we are almost there. After further testing we have decided to make some additional last changes. I think we will be releasing this soon. I know it's been a long wait but we hope these will be in stock in about 8 weeks from now.

dea for the collection container on the fermzilla.
It would be awesome if you could make the bottom of the collection container fit to a plastic spanner like the ones used for cubes.
The strap spanner currently used for untightening is not g

On the new FermZilla Generation 3 designs we are using tri-clover on the dump valve as this has what has been requestsed by a lot of customers on this forum. We have also made changes to the lid plastic type and this is the new lid that we use now:
FermZilla Conical 2inch Tri-Clover Harvest Adapter
The plastic is more slipery and slides over the o-ring much more easily so no tool is required.

In addition to this the whole butterfly valve is attached using clamps rather than threads and this eliminates any jamming issues that some customers had previously.

It's probably a bit early to say much about the new design but we should have this whole new design finished and being released in Australia in the next few months.

On the new FermZilla Generation 3 designs we are using tri-clover on the dump valve as this has what has been requestsed by a lot of customers on this forum. We have also made changes to the lid plastic type and this is the new lid that we use now:
FermZilla Conical 2inch Tri-Clover Harvest Adapter
The plastic is more slipery and slides over the o-ring much more easily so no tool is required.

In addition to this the whole butterfly valve is attached using clamps rather than threads and this eliminates any jamming issues that some customers had previously.

It's probably a bit early to say much about the new design but we should have this whole new design finished and being released in Australia in the next few months.
Can you please make that in a 1.5inch tri clover version for people with other branded fermenters? I've been looking for a solution for the brewtech fermenters for ages. Those big bulky sight glass collection jars are rediculous.

Can you please make that in a 1.5inch tri clover version for people with other branded fermenters? I've been looking for a solution for the brewtech fermenters for ages. Those big bulky sight glass collection jars are rediculous.

Yes our solution will work with various other fermenters. Basically any stainless conical with either a 2inch tri-clover dump or 3 inch tri-clover dump valve will be able to use our compatible collection container.

I would agree that stainless/glass sight glasses are expensive and not really the right too for the job.

Very sorry about the long delay on the RAPT Fermentation Chamber. We have had some long delays with this product and it's been one of the most complicated products to complete that we have ever made. The first shipment of these will arrive in approximately 7 weeks from now and we will update the website with the exact date once they are on the boat.

I should say that with the first couple of shipment these will be fine but the worldwide shortage of silicone semi-conductors will cause some supply issues after this. We have enough of the electronics for the first 2 or 3 shipments of the RAPT Fermentation Chamber but then after this we might have some supply issues caused by microprocessor shortages. This is out of our control unfortunately but we envisave the first few shipments in particular will sell very fast.

The good news for you guys is that all stock of the RAPT Fermentation Chambers will be shipped to Australia only in the first 4-5months and international orders to America, Europe and other countries will only be fulfilled after this. So at least you get the product before anyone else.

Thanks for this update @KegLand-com-au . This is really exciting. As a follow up to this post from September last year KegLand Questions and Answers I was wondering if you guys were still considering the door with pre-drilled holes for taps? It's fantastic you released the shelving for the Series X Plus, however after more closely looking at my habits over the last year I think what I really want is the vertical form factor. I'm currently thinking 4x 9.5L kegs will be ample for me, then being able to use the rest of the fridge as a normal fridge is going to be a far better use of the space I have. However if I change my mind/habits the RAPT fridge can easily adapt to my needs. The not wanting to drill my own holes is basically the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger on these.

(On a side note, I actually am not fussed about the RAPT part of this fridge for my use, a simple temperature controller to make this operate at a fixed temperature like a typical keggerator is all I'm really after if you think there is a market where you can sell a version like this (maybe with a pre-drilled door as standard) while there is a semi conductor shortage).

Thanks for this update @KegLand-com-au . This is really exciting. As a follow up to this post from September last year KegLand Questions and Answers I was wondering if you guys were still considering the door with pre-drilled holes for taps? It's fantastic you released the shelving for the Series X Plus, however after more closely looking at my habits over the last year I think what I really want is the vertical form factor. I'm currently thinking 4x 9.5L kegs will be ample for me, then being able to use the rest of the fridge as a normal fridge is going to be a far better use of the space I have. However if I change my mind/habits the RAPT fridge can easily adapt to my needs. The not wanting to drill my own holes is basically the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger on these.

(On a side note, I actually am not fussed about the RAPT part of this fridge for my use, a simple temperature controller to make this operate at a fixed temperature like a typical keggerator is all I'm really after if you think there is a market where you can sell a version like this (maybe with a pre-drilled door as standard) while there is a semi conductor shortage).

Thanks for this feedback. We really appreciate it. I think in the early stages we will probably modify the doors of the fridges locally and then supply you another door with the holes where you would like them for taps. I think this might be the best solution as we are increasing our local steel fabrication ability and I think the holes would be quite easy to do on our fairly new fiber laser cutting machine.

We would be reluctant to sell one of the new RAPT fridge without the internet connected controller. A simple temp controller can technically just keep the temperature but now that we have forked out for all the tooling, electrical design, software and firmware development the cost of a single simple temp controller and compared with our internet connected temp controller is not significant. Also we have a lot of features that you might still find handy such as tracking duty cycle on the compressor so you can monitor fridge performance or simply getting a notification to your phone to let you know you accidentally left the fridge door open because a keg or beer line is pushing against the door. I know you probably dont think internet connected is necessary but once you start using the RAPT fermentation chambers features I think you will probably see that it's worth it.

Understand your point on the investment, it was more a thought if the chips are currently hard to get for the fancier controller vs the simpler one, but I get it.

or simply getting a notification to your phone to let you know you accidentally left the fridge door open because a keg or beer line is pushing against the door.

That's pretty much sold me on wanting the RAPT though, I assumed it was just for controlling temperature. Been a few times I've got something stuck in the door of my current drinks fridge to come back the following weekend and find warm drinks and a fridge that hasn't been closed for 5 or so days...

Back