Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes these are quite inexpensive to make as we have very high cycling rates on this particular size of keg. The plastic will be tinted dark brown just like a beer bottle. We might also use a metallic colourant that blocks even more light but it also makes it hard to see the liquid level. We can make them block 100% of light if you guys want but this means you cant see through at all? What do you guys prefer to see through a little or to have 100% light block and not see how much is in the keg? Keen to get your response on this one guys?

I think you'll have different answers from different people, but I personally would prefer the 100% light block version, as I weigh with scales as I fill anyway.

That sounds amazing, especially at $5. I’d want to ferment and serve so translucent would be preferable.

Yes these are quite inexpensive to make as we have very high cycling rates on this particular size of keg. The plastic will be tinted dark brown just like a beer bottle. We might also use a metallic colourant that blocks even more light but it also makes it hard to see the liquid level. We can make them block 100% of light if you guys want but this means you cant see through at all? What do you guys prefer to see through a little or to have 100% light block and not see how much is in the keg? Keen to get your response on this one guys?
Rather see how much is in the keg. My beer fridge is pretty dark.

I would prefer translucent. Would not leave them out in the light and store correctly. Being translucent you can also check for deposits on the internal surfaces by hold a empty up to a strong light source.

I am looking at a series x kegerator but already have a 4 tap cobra font from a previous set up. Will this fit on the series x?

My preference is 100% light block

The keg colour will split the crowd. If you can use the same tooling then maybe make some with the translucent plastic and some with the opaque plastic? Then customers can decide what they like.

Hey guys. The samples have just been finished for us so we will start testing them soon and if they pass the testing we will have them in stock shortly. I think with the Series X Plus they will be handy as I it's possible that not every brewer needs all 8 kegs in the fridge all the time. So I think being able to stack stuff up on one side then have kegs on the other side will be more desirable. Here is a photo of the samples.
How did the testing go? Do you have plans to stock the shelves? Im asking as i'd love to buy some.

I reckon that if there is no large opening (like a corny lid) through which you can see / reach in to clean, I’d probably vote for them to be a bit see through... Just to make sure there’s no crud in there...

Hi Kegland, or perhaps anyone else who might happen to know: The new plus series kegerator, does it come with two tap font cooler lines from the fan to cool the fonts as the single series fonts do on the four and X series?

EDIT, have just watched the video and host says there's a T-piece you can split the line into two with. Is this included?

Thanks

Last edited:
I reckon that if there is no large opening (like a corny lid) through which you can see / reach in to clean, I’d probably vote for them to be a bit see through... Just to make sure there’s no crud in there...
This is an excellent point. A lot of savings are lost if you have to buy a $30,000 endoscope to see if it's clean.

Definitely translucent.

If you want to store beer for long enough that UV is an issue, do you really want to be using a PET mini-keg?

We are in the process of making bladders to fit into standard corny kits. I think we are getting really close with this now. Once the bladders kits are available for this application there should be no reason to use a beer engine/hand pump from a practical standpoint as you will be able to use CO2 or even compressed air to dispense a low carbonated or flat beverage through a sparkler and then get the same results as a hand/pump. the cost of the setup will be less and also will not require significant changes to the bar area or tap system.

So we would like to release these bladders first and then see what guys like yourself think. If you guys really want the "romance" of having a beer engine looking device we might look at it again after the bladders are released.
Don’t forget to nudge your distributors in the US on the corny liner bags. I am waiting patiently but definitely want these for my real ales.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back