Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi KegLand. Just watched the webinar after seeing it mentioned here, and wanted to register my interest in the the benchtop 2 x 8L kegerator.

If that was on Kickstarter I would have signed up as an early adopter already. 8L kegs and small format is the perfect solution for me. (Would not replace my keg fridge, but I would buy one to have in addition to my corny keg setup).

If you end up selling prototypes/want field testers/trial the 8L PET kegs, please let AHB'ers know - I would happily buy a pre-production unit, it just ticks so many boxes. Also if you want feedback/feature requests from potential customers (like with the next gen Brewzilla), I'm definitely part of your target market!

Cheers,
DT.

View attachment 119282

Thanks for that. We certainly need product testers for this type of stuff so we can get feedback before the product is released to the public.

This 8L keg system and mini fridge is a really exciting product and it's one of the products that I am personally looking forward to. I hope that it will get a lot of customers into home brewing that perhaps cant be bothered with bottling but then also cant justify the space of a traditional Series X Kegerator.

Also, given that so many customers go camping in Australia I was thinking about possibly making a 12v model of the above fridge too. Do you guys think this would be something you would want?

i dare say getting up around that mark your going to look at 3 phase power and i reckon ya gunna have to be very serious with ya brewing to warrent equipment that takes 3 phase

but i am only guess there

You could run it on 3 phase or run it on single phase. As it's just a resistive load the timing of the phases is not important. The wiring can be changed to suit both. Some customers will find it difficult to draw this much power on a domestic circuit. It will be about 6.5kw so it's a reasonable amount of draw.

Thanks for that. We certainly need product testers for this type of stuff so we can get feedback before the product is released to the public.

This 8L keg system and mini fridge is a really exciting product and it's one of the products that I am personally looking forward to. I hope that it will get a lot of customers into home brewing that perhaps cant be bothered with bottling but then also cant justify the space of a traditional Series X Kegerator.

Also, given that so many customers go camping in Australia I was thinking about possibly making a 12v model of the above fridge too. Do you guys think this would be something you would want?
Definitely be interested in it if had built in 12v/240v like most 4wd fridges.

I haven't watched the webinar; is there any reason you couldn't make it take 9.5L cornies instead of 8L mini kegs? It would open up a much wider market.

Definately interested in the 12v verision!

You could run it on 3 phase or run it on single phase. As it's just a resistive load the timing of the phases is not important. The wiring can be changed to suit both. Some customers will find it difficult to draw this much power on a domestic circuit. It will be about 6.5kw so it's a reasonable amount of draw.

in other words yes they will need 3 phase.....
let alone 3 phase..

running something like a 100l on single phase is going to ask for its own dedicated power point , not sure many family will want to fork that out

love to make that much but beieng real the 65l takes up alot of electricity

ya dreaming kegland if the 100 can run on a domestic circuit wisely

in other words yes they will need 3 phase.....
let alone 3 phase..

running something like a 100l on single phase is going to ask for its own dedicated power point , not sure many family will want to fork that out

love to make that much but beieng real the 65l takes up alot of electricity

ya dreaming kegland if the 100 can run on a domestic circuit wisely
Let me draw 6.5KW from a domestic circuit and burn my house down. Wonder if its covered by the warranty...

@KegLand-com-au no answer to the flow rate of the RO water? I even complimented you rather than complain about something.

Their website says it's about 190 litres a day.

Do aussie homes typically have 3 phase power? i know a lot of industrial sites have it but i didn't think it was typical for homes to be wired that way.

Huh? What's the difference between asking your sparky to install a 3-phase outlet vs a 25A single-phase outlet? Except some houses don't actually have access to 3-phase of course. But either way, you're not driving a 100L kettle off a 10A outlet, or even two 10A outlets if you want to enjoy the experience.

Edit: I mean obviously I know physically there's a difference between the two options, but either way you're probably gonna be getting the sparky in to run dedicated wiring, breakers and outlet regardless whether it's single phase or three phase. At some point you're gonna hit the limit between plug-n-play vs. investing to support the hardware.

Last edited:
Huh? What's the difference between asking your sparky to install a 3-phase outlet vs a 25A single-phase outlet? Except some houses don't actually have access to 3-phase of course. But either way, you're not driving a 100L kettle off a 10A outlet, or even two 10A outlets if you want to enjoy the experience.

Edit: I mean obviously I know physically there's a difference between the two options, but either way you're probably gonna be getting the sparky in to run dedicated wiring, breakers and outlet regardless whether it's single phase or three phase. At some point you're gonna hit the limit between plug-n-play vs. investing to support the hardware.
By my arithmetic you'd need a 32A outlet, and associated wiring.

Whether you chose 3 phase or single phase 32A, it's not going to be cheap.

By my arithmetic you'd need a 32A outlet, and associated wiring.

Whether you chose 3 phase or single phase 32A, it's not going to be cheap.
Right you are, I did mental back of the envelope after like a thousand Festbiers and assumed that the answer was 25A, but yes 27-ish does round up to 32A indeed 😂. But yeah, you don't just get to unplug your toaster to free up the outlet for a 100L brewery.

I expect they're using a buffer tank, you'd be waiting around the carpark for hours otherwise.

Video posted on FB the other day shows a pretty decent flow rate (probably have to be a member of the "KegLand Home Brew Community Group" to view):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Keg...Gulg44wCzAa7uQcAMl1_XGwpY024DCQ&__tn__=,O,P-R
Yeah cool that makes more sense. 190L a day doesn't sound like a heap considering its covid dan restrictions. Once it ramps up I'm sure people will smash it.

I make pretty ok beer using the local water profile I just noticed it there and thought it was a nice touch and was wondering if it was a straight up RO filter and hence what the flow rate was. Probably won't bother using it, but perhaps I will who knows. Just don't wanna be sitting around for 40 minutes filling up 35L!

Ah... so @kadmium meant the flow rate of the one they have set up at their warehouse.

Sorry Kad, i misinterpreted you question.
Yeah all good man. Don't mind me I've had about 1400 HBs didn't mean it to sound snarky or anything!

Right you are, I did mental back of the envelope after like a thousand Festbiers and assumed that the answer was 25A, but yes 27-ish does round up to 32A indeed 😂. But yeah, you don't just get to unplug your toaster to free up the outlet for a 100L brewery.
Depends on one's toaster 🤣.

Their website says it's about 190 litres a day.

Do aussie homes typically have 3 phase power? i know a lot of industrial sites have it but i didn't think it was typical for homes to be wired that way.

no they dont , very rare to find the average house running 3 phase

if kegland can get the 100l to run efficently then great, but i just cant see them getting it out there on a single phase

If it's 100L struck capacity you could just about get away with 2 X 2400W/10A elements in separate circuits, which I think is what Brewtools have done. It'll take a while, but should get there. If it's 100L of finished beer then 6.5kW is about the right number. That could be done with a triple element, either running each element in series on single phase or separately on 3 phase - I assume there will be two models to choose from if this is the case.

It'll presumably sell far fewer units to homebrewers than the 35L or 65L because of those requirements, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't make it anyway if the business case stacks up.

I had to upgrade my mainline and switchboard as part of a renovation, it was about $400 extra to upgrade to 3 phase rather than just higher capacity single phase, and allowed me to run a larger capacity solar PV system so I went ahead with that. Fortunately for me my brewery is about two feet from my switchboard so I got 3 X 20A outlets installed (one on each phase) to run my current gear, and can reasonably cheaply get a 3 phase outlet installed as well if I need it. So yeah it's not the most common thing to have a 3 phase house (although I suspect it's becoming more common in newer builds), but if it's available on the street it could be an upgrade option.

Back