Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok let me discuss this with the others. I would agree that having to turn the unit upside down is a bit of a pain and it would be far easier with CIP. let us get back to you guys with something on this.
The dream is no threaded fittings, accessible pump head, and all plumbing free draining to a lowest point (dump valve) so no perched fluids are retained. I've built a number of rigs around this philosophy but have been limited by standard fittings that aren't as space efficient as what you guys can achieve with your own manufacturing capabilities. Keen to see what you come up with if you do go down this route 👍

@KegLand-com-au with the digital gauge for the inline regulators etc, will the accuracy be impacted by being used in a refrigerator? I see the the advertised accuracy is at a temp of 20'c so how much is it likely to be affected?
Also, does it come with battery supplied?

Thanks

@KegLand-com-au with the digital gauge for the inline regulators etc, will the accuracy be impacted by being used in a refrigerator? I see the the advertised accuracy is at a temp of 20'c so how much is it likely to be affected?
Also, does it come with battery supplied?

Thanks

Yes most likely the battery will come included with the new digital gauge. The accuracy is not impacted in the fridge so this is fine down to -5C.

The dream is no threaded fittings, accessible pump head, and all plumbing free draining to a lowest point (dump valve) so no perched fluids are retained. I've built a number of rigs around this philosophy but have been limited by standard fittings that aren't as space efficient as what you guys can achieve with your own manufacturing capabilities. Keen to see what you come up with if you do go down this route 👍

Ok we will keep this in mind. Thanks for the feedback.

@KegLand-com-au I agree with the conical bottom - perhaps some option of installing a hop stopper type arrangement? Or maybe two outlets with a drainage port in the middle and the pump higher to always mean you are drawing off clear wort.... Or all of the above with a hop stopper that fits into the conical shape, high pump outlet and centre drainage port to maximise volumes & efficiency. Having said all that I like how easy it is to clean the flat bottom element compared to the kettle style ones.
It would be great if the pump were capable of pumping the wort through the CFC as well. I had to retrofit a larger pump into my unit for this reason. Maybe the pump power control has merit in this case - 1 setting for mash with fine control on the ball valve and then full bore on the cooling setting.
Accurate volumes through the a sight glass like the current option would be nice assuming the manufacturing tolerances allow for it, otherwise blank polycarbonate would still be better than stainless steel if there are no other long-term drawbacks.
Maybe a sparge arm accessory? Does actually make any difference?

@KegLand-com-au which would you recommend for the most effective portable keg setup - your Nukatap FC tap or your upcoming FC quick-disconnect w/ a regular Nukatap?

These will work similarly well so it's really up to you on this one. Historically the older Intertap FC taps had the main issue that a auto close spring could not be fitted and I would have definitely said go with the FC Ball Lock Disconnect. For portable systems where its more likely to get the tap handles knocked having the spring return tap is definitely the way to go. The Nukatap FC has a more laminar flow but also is the only forward sealing tap with spring return function so it's not a bad choice.

If you want a solution where the tap fits directly to the post of the keg then the Nukatap FC and FC Ball Lock disconnect are really just as good as each other so not much advantage one over the other. The Nukatap FC would probably work out a bit cheaper.

@KegLand-com-au I agree with the conical bottom - perhaps some option of installing a hop stopper type arrangement? Or maybe two outlets with a drainage port in the middle and the pump higher to always mean you are drawing off clear wort.... Or all of the above with a hop stopper that fits into the conical shape, high pump outlet and centre drainage port to maximise volumes & efficiency. Having said all that I like how easy it is to clean the flat bottom element compared to the kettle style ones.
It would be great if the pump were capable of pumping the wort through the CFC as well. I had to retrofit a larger pump into my unit for this reason. Maybe the pump power control has merit in this case - 1 setting for mash with fine control on the ball valve and then full bore on the cooling setting.
Accurate volumes through the a sight glass like the current option would be nice assuming the manufacturing tolerances allow for it, otherwise blank polycarbonate would still be better than stainless steel if there are no other long-term drawbacks.
Maybe a sparge arm accessory? Does actually make any difference?

We will be using a larger pump on the new BrewZilla 100L Gen 4 unit. This unit will come with our standard 25watt pump that we currently sell separately. An increasing number of our customers in Australia hot cube rather than use CFC. With that said we do get a lot of call for the CFC in Europe and America so we have been wondering if we should make the CFC standard instead of the immersion chiller.

Polycarbonate (PC) as standard is something we are a bit reluctant to do for a couple of reasons. The chemical resistance of polycarbonate is not great and if customers use sodium hydroxide for cleaning or the BrewZilla for distillation of high percentage alcohol then this can degrade the PC. Also all PC contains bisphenol. In many instances this is the Bisphenol A. We are really trying to stay away from BPA products due to the fact that these disrupt normal hormone production. We are looking into other possible options but none of the clarity of PC and other polymers with high temp resistance and good chemical resistance all have slightly opaque look to them. Do you think you guys would be ok with this opaque look rather than completely clear?

We will look into these other changes and see what we come up with.

We will be using a larger pump on the new BrewZilla 100L Gen 4 unit. This unit will come with our standard 25watt pump that we currently sell separately. An increasing number of our customers in Australia hot cube rather than use CFC. With that said we do get a lot of call for the CFC in Europe and America so we have been wondering if we should make the CFC standard instead of the immersion chiller.

Polycarbonate (PC) as standard is something we are a bit reluctant to do for a couple of reasons. The chemical resistance of polycarbonate is not great and if customers use sodium hydroxide for cleaning or the BrewZilla for distillation of high percentage alcohol then this can degrade the PC. Also all PC contains bisphenol. In many instances this is the Bisphenol A. We are really trying to stay away from BPA products due to the fact that these disrupt normal hormone production. We are looking into other possible options but none of the clarity of PC and other polymers with high temp resistance and good chemical resistance all have slightly opaque look to them. Do you think you guys would be ok with this opaque look rather than completely clear?

I don't think it matters if it's a bit opaque, as long as you can see the water level whilst filling, it will do it's job. I'd imagine that once the mash starts and wort gets darker it will be even easier to see.

Most of the literature coming out recently has been showing that the substitutes being used in place of BPA is just as bad, why not use glass or ditch the sight glass idea altogether if you have concerns about leeching chemicals
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2018/09/news-BPA-free-plastic-safety-chemicals-health/

Offer it like you do kegerators, with a choice. Bare bones, 1 tap, 2 taps, etc --> bare bones, cfc, immersion.

I don't think it matters if it's a bit opaque, as long as you can see the water level whilst filling, it will do it's job. I'd imagine that once the mash starts and wort gets darker it will be even easier to see.
Put diagonal stripes behind it (painted or however works for you. When you look at the stripes through the sight glass, they will obviously appear a bit wonky. If there is water present in the sight glass the stripes will be reversed, up to the level of the water.

Last edited:
How long will the KL buffer solution powders last once mixed?

If you have no contamination in the solution then they will last for eternity. The main issue is when people do not wash the probe well before using the solution. Gradually the solution gets contaminated and stuff grows in the solution. So as to how long this will take really comes down to how well you wash things. It's a difficult one to answer for this reason.

How is the pizza oven project going? Details? ETA?

This is a long way off. We have not expected completion date on this one I am afraid as we have a number of other higher priority projects that we need to get out of the way first.

Most of the literature coming out recently has been showing that the substitutes being used in place of BPA is just as bad, why not use glass or ditch the sight glass idea altogether if you have concerns about leeching chemicals
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2018/09/news-BPA-free-plastic-safety-chemicals-health/

I would agree with this article which is one of the reasons we are getting rid of all products that contain plasticises or are made using bisphenol. Many plastics do not use plasticises or bisphenol in the production. I think we all need to better educate ourselves in what plastics are relatively safe and which ones are not. It's not really a good solution just to look at all plastics as being bad and ditching the whole lot. In general my advice would be to stay away from vinyl based plastics especially ones that are flexible, polycarbonate, and epoxy.

Glass sight glasses are also quite fragile which is our main issue.

I have unfortunately only had negative experiences with duotights so far and gone back to barb fittings with no issues. Is kegland considering a barbed option for their regulators or a barb insert?

Back