Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you recommend the unit? Ie are you happy with it?

Yes, i am happy with mine, it saves lugging buckets of filtered kitchen water out to the shed.

I have mine hooked up to garden hose with a Stefani in line fridge filter, i think you can get a caravan filter which hooks directly up with a standard hose connection which could save a bit of faffing around with different threads and connectors.

@KegLand-com-au

Probably should have asked before buying but can you use a power station voltage controller with a Robobrew/ Brewzilla?

I'm guessing you can, you haven't specifically stated it on the items listing that you can't, it should be good having a bit more finer control with the boil.

You will only get a partial amount of power control with this and the power controller will enable you to go from 100% to maybe about 50%. If you go too low with the power controller you will not deliver enough power to the display and if the display cuts out the whole unit will turn off. It will not damage the circuit but if you go too low you will have to turn the knob back up so the unit powers back on again.

I personally feel that the switches on the side are a reliable way to give you a reasonable level of control and it's probably not necessary to use the power controller. With that said I do not know your particular application.

Weird, I received my series x Friday 11.9.20. Mine came with 1 of the 2 pet caps that had a hole drilled out and a rubber grommet inside. Im keeping my co2 inside, so replacing it with standard cap. I will put a little polyurethane insulation inside behind both caps too so it's not a weak point where heat can get in.

Ok. Thanks for letting me know about this. I must say I was not aware that this change had already been made to the standard setup. I thought we were still supplying the caps with no hole that you had to drill out yourself. Let us know if you need any assistance setting it up.

You will only get a partial amount of power control with this and the power controller will enable you to go from 100% to maybe about 50%. If you go too low with the power controller you will not deliver enough power to the display and if the display cuts out the whole unit will turn off. It will not damage the circuit but if you go too low you will have to turn the knob back up so the unit powers back on again.

I personally feel that the switches on the side are a reliable way to give you a reasonable level of control and it's probably not necessary to use the power controller. With that said I do not know your particular application.

I doubt i will need to go under 50% anyway.

I find with my particular Gen3 Robobrew, 1900W causes a little bit of scorching and 500W isn't enough power to maintain a nice rolling boil.

I have bought one in the day or so they were available (didn't think this would be one of those big ticket items) and will play around with it boiling some water.

I doubt i will need to go under 50% anyway.

I find with my particular Gen3 Robobrew, 1900W causes a little bit of scorching and 500W isn't enough power to maintain a nice rolling boil.

I have bought one in the day or so they were available (didn't think this would be one of those big ticket items) and will play around with it boiling some water.

It sounds like you might have one of the older models. The new BrewZilla units have much lower watt density when compared with the older Robobrew and Grainfather breweries. So if you have one of the BrewZilla units you should not get any scorching at all even at full power.

I went via the home page and to malt & grain by the sack in the ingredients menu.

it’s still doing it for me on both my mobile and my computer, only the ale malt though the others seem ok.

If I use the search menu it seems to open properly.

Thanks for that. We have been able to re-create the issue now. thanks for letting us know. We will have this fixed in a few moments.

We had an IBC tank full of RO water and this was up in the air fed by gravity. The height have it a pressure at the valve of about 5.5psi and this worked fine for us. Most solenoid valves have a minimum pressure of about 10psi or so but I can say from our experience it was still working perfectly fine at even this lower pressure.

@KegLand-com-au Assuming you want to use the controller for distilling with a pot still, would you be able to turn one of the elements off meaning the power controller still has to deliver a high enough percentage of power to maintain the LCD or am I missing something? I have a 65L brewzilla and an unused pot still so would need a 15A version regardless.

@KegLand-com-au Assuming you want to use the controller for distilling with a pot still, would you be able to turn one of the elements off meaning the power controller still has to deliver a high enough percentage of power to maintain the LCD or am I missing something? I have a 65L brewzilla and an unused pot still so would need a 15A version regardless.

Yes that is correct. You can have whatever combination of elements on you like. Just as long as you do not go too low in the power controller percentage.

It sounds like you might have one of the older models. The new BrewZilla units have much lower watt density when compared with the older Robobrew and Grainfather breweries. So if you have one of the BrewZilla units you should not get any scorching at all even at full power.

It is, it's a Gen 3 Robobrew, bought it from you guys before you changed it up to the Brewzilla.

I had a play around with it with some water and it seems to go down as low as 80 volts until the screen dims and it turns off but i still need to test it out with a proper brew.

It is, it's a Gen 3 Robobrew, bought it from you guys before you changed it up to the Brewzilla.

I had a play around with it with some water and it seems to go down as low as 80 volts until the screen dims and it turns off but i still need to test it out with a proper brew.

Yes that sounds about right. 80V is quite low and I am surprised it's working that low.

With watt density It was approximately the gen 3 where we changed to the larger diameter heating element that allows density. I can't remember if we only made the change with the BrewZilla name or perhaps the last of the Robobrew units also had the lower watt density too. I will look this up and get back to you.

@KegLand-com-au if it's not to late can you please give some consideration to gas line management in your new series x plus. Feeding 8 gas lines into the unit through the back isn't ideal. I like the idea of having a carp cap at the back to one gas line for ease of use, but will need a solution to split that single gas line into 6 - 8 inside the kegerator. A regular manifold might be too bulky??

I don't know how feasible it would be, but I would love to see the ability to have up to 8 carb caps on the back. At the moment, I have a Series 4 with in-line regulators and manifold in the fridge. Functionally it's awesome, but it gets a bit crowded with 3 kegs, manifold and in-line regs in the fridge. Ideally I'd love to have the manifold and in-line regs setup outside the fridge.

I know more has been done on this for the Series X, but ideally if the X Plus allowed for a carb cap for each keg I would immediately upgrade.

I am also super excited to hear @KegLand-com-au is working on a fully supported IoT platform. As suggested by someone else, the main thing I would like to see with any IoT platform is to have open API's which we can interact with. The biggest advantage for documented API's, is the amazing community of home brewers would develop open source applications to support your products FOR SURE! This would save you the hassle of development and support of applications (probably not your core business), as the community would handle that for you. From the RAPT fridge what I would love to see is:
  1. Temperature
    1. External Temp
    2. Internal Fridge Temp (GET and POST)
    3. Temp Probe Reading (could be internal or external to FV)
    4. Staged Temp Profile (eg: 18o for 7 days; 19o day 8; 20o on day 9 etc)
  2. Gravity Readings (probably harder to achieve at the moment)
    1. Set Starting Gravity
    2. Specific Gravity
    3. Set Final Gravity
    4. Current ABV
    5. Temp Probe Reading (as above)
  3. Brewing Profile
    1. Specific User Defined Profile or Manually set
      1. User defined profiles would allow you to automate temp based on time or gravity readings
    2. Alerts for dry hopping schedule
      1. Based on time or specific gravity
These are just some thoughts and I am sure I could think of more, but didn't want to go too crazy.

@KegLand-com-au if it's not to late can you please give some consideration to gas line management in your new series x plus. Feeding 8 gas lines into the unit through the back isn't ideal. I like the idea of having a carp cap at the back to one gas line for ease of use, but will need a solution to split that single gas line into 6 - 8 inside the kegerator. A regular manifold might be too bulky??

You can just use the Duotight 'T' connectors inside to split your single line into multiples. This is how they do it on the kegerator kits

https://www.kegland.com.au/duotight-8mm-push-in-tee-piece-double-oring.html

Latest posts

Back