Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just make sure the hole is smooth. Otherwise it will burr up the gas line and you’ll likely get micro leaks.

Thanks - had the SS Carbonation & Line Cleaning Cap that i'd never used. it's now found a home. all sorted !

Cheers

Attachments

• connector.jpg
    connector.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 97
Use the carb caps with a connector and line on the back or get the PET cap and drill an 8mm hole in it.
I did the latter.

Yes that is exactly what we would say too. This is the car cap that we would normally use:
Plastic Carbonation & Line Cleaning Cap & FermZilla Pressure Cap
In doing so it enables you to quick disconnect the cylinder and regulator from the fridge just incase you want to use the cylinder and regulator somewhere else.

Alternatively just drill out the cap. If you ever need more beer lines then you can drill the hole in the cap a little larger. As it's a standard coke cap you can easily get replacements off any soft drink bottle.

Thanks - had the SS Carbonation & Line Cleaning Cap that i'd never used. it's now found a home. all sorted !

Cheers

Thanks for that. How do you find those white ball lock disconnects? We ordered some samples some time ago from a factory in china but did not find them to be very good and a bit leaky. Did you have any issues with these?

@KegLand-com-au

Probably should have asked before buying but can you use a power station voltage controller with a Robobrew/ Brewzilla?

I'm guessing you can, you haven't specifically stated it on the items listing that you can't, it should be good having a bit more finer control with the boil.

Weird, I received my series x Friday 11.9.20. Mine came with 1 of the 2 pet caps that had a hole drilled out and a rubber grommet inside. Im keeping my co2 inside, so replacing it with standard cap. I will put a little polyurethane insulation inside behind both caps too so it's not a weak point where heat can get in.

How about a conical jar for the Fermzilla with a port on the bottom? Then we could bleed off trub/yeast without any beer wastage. The current system works fine if there is exactly 1L of trub/yeast, but not otherwise.

How about a conical jar for the Fermzilla with a port on the bottom? Then we could bleed off trub/yeast without any beer wastage. The current system works fine if there is exactly 1L of trub/yeast, but not otherwise.

I agree 1L often results in beer wastage for me especially if i'm just dumping Trub. Have you guys considered making a smaller (say 500ml) collection jar? I would buy one.

1L often results in beer wastage for me especially if i'm just dumping Trub

I keep a carb cap attached to the collection container. When time to dump, I close the butterfly valve then connect beer line (with a disconnect each end) from the cap on the collection container to the cap on the top of the unit. CO2 from fermentation pushes the beer from the container up the beer line and into the main vessel.

Maybe a little trub gets recycled, but not much. All done after a day (maybe shorter, haven't looked).

I keep a carb cap attached to the collection container. When time to dump, I close the butterfly valve then connect beer line (with a disconnect each end) from the cap on the collection container to the cap on the top of the unit. CO2 from fermentation pushes the beer from the container up the beer line and into the main vessel.

Maybe a little trub gets recycled, but not much. All done after a day (maybe shorter, haven't looked).
Interesting approach. Guess you'd need to make sure a bit of fermentation is still underway and keep the top section pressure lower than the bottom. Might have to give it a try.

There seems to be an issue in the website with the 25kg BB ale malt. When I click on it, it takes me to the 30/50l kegerator draught pack instead.

@KegLand-com-au I saw your post in another thread regarding Hot Fill Wine/Wort Cask Bladders. These look really interesting especially that they will come clean and sterile.

Just a thought though. Would it be possible to get larger, say 30L bladders? If so and you also sold a ridged box or frame to support them (or brewers could DIY) they could also be used as fermenters. This would save the bother of cleaning and sanitising a fermenter. For no chilled wort and if using dry yeast and no need to aerate you would just open the blank cap add yeast then fit a cap with a blow off.

You would need to be able fit something like a tap or ball lock fitting to the cap or use a second cap that a blow off tube can be fitted with and to transfer to kegs/bottles when ready. Another option would be to rack to a second bladder virtually oxygen free to serve as real ale or to lager or to store beer till a keg was available.

Perhaps you could also sell fresh wort kits in 30L bladders and stock a flat pack rectangular frame to support them during fermentation? This would be a very cheap and simple way for new brewers to get in to the hobby.

Last edited:
@KegLand-com-au I saw your post in another thread regarding Hot Fill Wine/Wort Cask Bladders. These look really interesting especially that they will come clean and sterile.

Just a thought though. Would it be possible to get larger, say 30L bladders? If so and you also sold a ridged box or frame to support them (or brewers could DIY) they could also be used as fermenters. This would save the bother of cleaning and sanitising a fermenter. For no chilled wort and if using dry yeast and no need to aerate you would just open the blank cap add yeast then fit a cap with a blow off.

You would need to be able fit something like a tap or ball lock fitting to the cap or use a second cap that a blow off tube can be fitted with and to transfer to kegs/bottles when ready. Another option would be to rack to a second bladder virtually oxygen free to serve as real ale or to lager or to store beer till a keg was available.

Perhaps you could also sell fresh wort kits in 30L bladders and stock a flat pack rectangular frame to support them during fermentation? This would be a very cheap and simple way for new brewers to get in to the hobby.
Not to be 'that' guy, but we should really be looking after the environment as opposed to looking to produce 3 ply, plastic disposable fermenters. They are a good idea for casking etc, but should be reusable. It's a shame to think people would just see them as a $1.50 disposable fermenter or hot cube.

Not to be 'that' guy, but we should really be looking after the environment as opposed to looking to produce 3 ply, plastic disposable fermenters. They are a good idea for casking etc, but should be reusable. It's a shame to think people would just see them as a $1.50 disposable fermenter or hot cube.
Well they could be turned in to granaries like the PET fermenters.:)

Also on the Fill-o-Meter how does it go with deadspace in the line? I'm guessing you either need it really close to the vessel you are filling or you need to put some through the meter first so it fills up the line?

Is this correct? This is the only thing holding me back from ordering one at this stage, I can't get my head around this aspect.

Also on the Fill-o-Meter how does it go with deadspace in the line? I'm guessing you either need it really close to the vessel you are filling or you need to put some through the meter first so it fills up the line?

Is this correct? This is the only thing holding me back from ordering one at this stage, I can't get my head around this aspect.

I've got one hooked up with 1.5m of 1/4" tubing and it seems to work really well, i think (this is purely a guess on my part) is that is uses the momentum of the water when its instantly cut off to carry the rest of the water through the tubing.

What i do though is turn the water off at the tap and start the fill-o-meter again, it gets the rest of the water out of the tubing and releases pressure, if anything another 100ml of water comes out.

I've got one hooked up with 1.5m of 1/4" tubing and it seems to work really well, i think (this is purely a guess on my part) is that is uses the momentum of the water when its instantly cut off to carry the rest of the water through the tubing.

What i do though is turn the water off at the tap and start the fill-o-meter again, it gets the rest of the water out of the tubing and releases pressure, if anything another 100ml of water comes out.
Do you recommend the unit? Ie are you happy with it?

Back