Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah ok. How much do check valves normally reduce pressure? Maybe I should just get another spunding valve...
Not much, usually less than 1PSI but it will depend on the valve. I had a couple of the duotight ones in my kegerator setup when I had a keg of water in there and I didn't adjust any pressures.

If you are worried it is easy enough to test, wait until you have a known reading then put the valve in there and read it again to see the pressure drop.

Thanks for your help. Is there ever a reason to ferment at different pressures? If not I think I'll just get the check valves to save a bit of dosh.

Thanks for your help. Is there ever a reason to ferment at different pressures? If not I think I'll just get the check valves to save a bit of dosh.

One might be naturally carbonating at a higher pressure while the other batch is still early in ferment at lower pressure. Pretty rare and dependent on how you brew though.

Yeah ok. How much do check valves normally reduce pressure? Maybe I should just get another spunding valve...

1-2 psi. Probably not enough to worry about unless you normally keep your spunding valve set very low.

Hi @KegLand-com-au

I suppose i should have asked this before i bought one but can a Fermzilla AR be used in a brew box with a standard incandescent bulb as its heating source? i have my temp controller set to 21°C as i mostly brew ales so its not overly warm but iirc incandescent bulbs emit a tiny bit of UV.

Last edited:
Hey @KegLand-com-au, is there any way to bore out or otherwise modify the gas side of an A-type keg coupler to allow a higher outflow in a keg washer system?

No not really... i have been using this box with incandescent bulbs in them for years and never had a beer skunk up that wasn't my fault.
Just because you haven't noticed it doesn't mean it's not a potential risk. I would not recommend introducing any light or UV source to an environment that contains a transparent fermenter. Some reasons why are explained in threads like this:

Thanks for the link, I didn't realise blue light could do it too.

I'm sure its a lot less of an impact than sunlight, maybe to the point its not noticable, but to me its still a bit of a round abut way to heat the fermenter when a heat belt is so cheap. By the time you've replaced the light bulb a few times you've already spent more than the cost of the heat belt.

I'd be wary of using a heat belt on a pet fermenter, especially if you plan on pressure fermenting.

Watt density may be too high.
ah good point on that one. I wonder how hot they actually get? I haven't had to heat my fermenter yet, but it is starting to get chilly.

I just use a heat pad/mat in the bottom of my fridge/fermentation chamber. It sits in the bottom and the stand for the fermzilla sits on it. Works perfectly well for me

ah good point on that one. I wonder how hot they actually get? I haven't had to heat my fermenter yet, but it is starting to get chilly.
Gavin Ellicott has made a video on his YouTube channel, saying a heat belt's fine, and endorsed by Oli at Kegland. On the strength of that, I've purchased a heat belt, with temp controller, and have had no problems whatsoever running it at 20°C.

Yes really.
No risk of warping the body of the vessel and it heats the chamber effectively.

edit: pic of my old fermentor for reference.

Attachments

• heatbelt.jpg
    heatbelt.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 93
Hi @KegLand-com-au

I suppose i should have asked this before i bought one but can a Fermzilla AR be used in a brew box with a standard incandescent bulb as its heating source? i have my temp controller set to 21°C as i mostly brew ales so its not overly warm but iirc incandescent bulbs emit a tiny bit of UV.

You could just change the incandescent bulb for a ceramic heating bulb like this: Ceramic Heat Bulbs for Reptile for sale | Shop with Afterpay | eBay
Probably much more efficient too as no power wasted to lighting the inside of your chamber for no reason.

Probably much more efficient too as no power wasted to lighting the inside of your chamber for no reason.
Doesn't the visible light heat up the space assuming it's in an opaque fermenting chamber? Not sure a ceramic bulb is more efficient at making heat in a closed cavity...

Back