Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do yo guys use PBW for apart from brewing ?? Just asking. :)

I use sodium perc for general cleaning stuff all the time - anything that's dirty but not greasy it takes care of no trouble. Stuff baked onto dishes and oven racks, stuff that's been left in the garden and picked up mould or fungus or whatever, cheaper-per-use stain remover in the laundry, cleaning and deodorising shoes, cleaning and removing stains from plastic sink basins....basically anything except fat/oil/grease where you really need a soap or detergent.

PBW ought to be good for all the same stuff and a few more things besides.

@KegLand-com-au im guessing there is a huge backlog of people stocking up on supplies is there an ETA on my order i put in on Tuesday?

Nvm... got the email late last night.

Last edited:
Hey @KegLand-com-au,

You should put a ON SALE section onto your website. Just noticed that your Kegerator packages are on an xmas sale, but there's no news of that on your facebook account or on here.

Also, my wife is an author, so if you would ever like someone to be your editor for the website (you do need one), send me a PM. Can give you a good deal.

Remembered this old post when I read your COVID-19 update:

upload_2020-3-27_19-58-49.png

Remembered this old post when I read your COVID-19 update:

Fixed now (and with the message adjusted to something a little better considered to boot).

Now, if they could just go through the entire site and edit the rest of their copy...

Hey @KegLand-com-au, for reasons I want to switch the drain port (pump intake) on my 35L Brewzilla to a 1/2" BSP fitting - is there any drama widening the existing hole slightly with a step bit?

Thanks,

Seems surprising Kegland are selling N95 masks to the public. All N95 mask stock in the country should be reserved for front line medical staff. No member of the general public requires an N95 mask to avoid COVID-19, and stock is in short supply.
N95 masks are only required for high risk medical procedures (which you're not doing at home). A normal surgical mask with gloves and goggles will protect you if you have to look after a family member with COVID-19 (as long as they wear a surgical mask as well). Even medical staff looking after patients with COVID-19 don't use N95 masks, they use a normal surgical mask, with a gown, gloves and goggles (unless that patient is in ICU). It's disappointing to see Kegland selling this precious resource to people who don't need it. Some retailers now require identification that proves the purchaser is a health worker.

Reference: https://www.health.gov.au/sites/def...le-with-coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19.pdf

It's disappointing to see Kegland selling this precious resource to people who don't need it

Kogan are selling a vast array of PPE... 25 packs, 50 packs. they even have a note to get in touch with them if you require 100,000+ pieces or more. So I wouldn't be hanging Kegland out to dry on this one.

Also, the masks Kegland are selling are KN95 not N95. These ratings are the same from what I gather apart from the fact that the N95 is FDA approved in the USA whereas KN95 is not. SO I am unsure if there is a shortage of KN95 masks as they certainly appear to be plentiful.

Kogan are selling a vast array of PPE... 25 packs, 50 packs. they even have a note to get in touch with them if you require 100,000+ pieces or more. So I wouldn't be hanging Kegland out to dry on this one.

Also, the masks Kegland are selling are KN95 not N95. These ratings are the same from what I gather apart from the fact that the N95 is FDA approved in the USA whereas KN95 is not. SO I am unsure if there is a shortage of KN95 masks as they certainly appear to be plentiful.
KN95 is the China standard, N95 is the American standard, and P2 is the Australian standard. All will be in short supply soon. Just because Kogan does something doesn't make it right.

KN95 is the China standard, N95 is the American standard

Exactly, and it is the N95 standards which are in shortage in the US because they won't allow imports of the KN95 standards. And if that situation applies in another country then selling KN95 standard masks will not help or change that scenario one bit.

If Kogan can supply 100,000+ pieces if you order them, would you really say there is a shortage?

I doubt Kogan can supply 100,000 N95 or KN95 masks, and not at a cost that we can afford as a country.
We, as in Australia, are short of N95 (and P2 and KN95) masks. Our health workers use N95 / P2 / KN95 interchangeably. My post was not referencing the shortage of PPE in America, which although terrible, does not affect us here in Australia. Many hospitals here do not have enough N95/P2/KN95 masks. Many GP clinics do not have the required PPE to perform COVID-19 testing (so patients are sometimes asked to swab themselves). Elective surgery has been cancelled across the entire country in part to conserve stocks of N95/KN95 masks (because intubation is one of the very few times airborne protection is required).

Yes we have a real shortage. Many staff are trying to source their own supply for when hospital stocks run out. Most hospitals now have both their N95 and even normal surgical masks under lock and key.

I wrote the original post as someone who regularly uses Kegland and have always found them to be an excellent outfit. It was as much a suggestion that they perhaps consider who they sell these masks too.

Exactly, and it is the N95 standards which are in shortage in the US because they won't allow imports of the KN95 standards. And if that situation applies in another country then selling KN95 standard masks will not help or change that scenario one bit.

If Kogan can supply 100,000+ pieces if you order them, would you really say there is a shortage?
USA are allowing imports of KN95 masks, along with humble pie.

I doubt Kogan can supply 100,000 N95 or KN95 masks, and not at a cost that we can afford as a country.
We, as in Australia, are short of N95 (and P2 and KN95) masks. Our health workers use N95 / P2 / KN95 interchangeably. My post was not referencing the shortage of PPE in America, which although terrible, does not affect us here in Australia. Many hospitals here do not have enough N95/P2/KN95 masks. Many GP clinics do not have the required PPE to perform COVID-19 testing (so patients are sometimes asked to swab themselves). Elective surgery has been cancelled across the entire country in part to conserve stocks of N95/KN95 masks (because intubation is one of the very few times airborne protection is required).

Yes we have a real shortage. Many staff are trying to source their own supply for when hospital stocks run out. Most hospitals now have both their N95 and even normal surgical masks under lock and key.

I wrote the original post as someone who regularly uses Kegland and have always found them to be an excellent outfit. It was as much a suggestion that they perhaps consider who they sell these masks too.

Could I assume you are involved in healthcare or perhaps your partner is etc? If so this is a large issue to you.. I understand, it is a difficult time and is a large issue for all of us.

However, it obviously isn't illegal to sell this stuff as others are doing the same thing.. And I am certain Kegland would be more than happy to sell every last piece of PPE to various State health departments across the country however I equally as sure there is unknown bureaucratic red tape & supply contracts etc. stopping this from occurring.

What I am saying is, that if a company Like Kegland can source this stuff yet our hospitals are running out, do you not think that is an issue for the various governments? because clearly, it's not that hard.

With respect, I believe your anger here is misplaced

I have had some dealings with a Chinese company that manufacture brewery and distillery equipment (among other things) and received an email 6 days ago from my contact there, in part:
"how about new virus impact now in your location? i hope you are good at health and safe. Kindly follow you, are you lack masks now? if really need i help to get some freely send you, hope it helps you a lot.
Have a wonderful weekends."

Clearly PPE is available from China, so have years of ego driven decisions, and general bureaucratic fcktard-iness led to shortages here? and if so, is it the same red tape bs that's preventing KL/Kogan et al from supplying the health sector? If you think that question time in the House is a Punch and Judy show you should try working in the public service at some moronic ministers behest. Send a C130 or better yet a Galaxy to China, fill the thing with PPE and fly it back, job done, except of course they wont do it. A US doctor has just died, his symptoms started 9 days after being forced to wear his single use mask for 4 days, no coincidence. The US is a third world country in parts, just go and visit, I'm dreading what is going to unfold over there in the coming weeks almost as much as Africa and India. Rant off.
Stay safe people, take as many precautions as you can and hope you are lucky.

Latest posts

Back