Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi @KegLand-com-au do you think the flat bottom fermzillas would be ok with an enclosed transfer? Bought a couple for ageing sours, bretts etc..

Hey been looking at doing smaller ferments in corny kegs (It takes me ages to drink 25-50L of one beer, so was thinking 4x12L and then keg in 10L kegs)

I am tipping the Temp Twister Cooling/Heating Coil - Temperature Control your FermZilla with a glycol chiller wouldn't fit into a corny keg, is this the case

Is there any plans to bring out lids with a coil and maybe a temp probe in order to do this?

I am trying to avoid needed two fridges as I would be looking at running 4 corny kegs with a glycol chiller so that I can run different fermentation temps

(Lager/Ale)

Wouldn't be against a keg jacket that runs glycol through it either

Hi @KegLand-com-au, in the past there was some mention of some strong 3L and 5L PET bottles that could be used to store beer for the sort term, party keg, or if going camping etc. Is there any progress on this and if so when would be likely to see it?

I currently have 5L of cider sitting in my FZ waiting for the wife to free up enough space in the keg so that I can transfer it. With the cheap carb caps and the t-piece for them I think it would be nice to be able to do an enclosed transfer to a 5L container then a few weeks later into the keg.

Also how is the coronavirus shutdowns affecting your supply? Wondering if I should get any future birthday presents early, whilst they're still available.

Cheers, paul

Hi @KegLand-com-au, in the past there was some mention of some strong 3L and 5L PET bottles that could be used to store beer for the sort term, party keg, or if going camping etc. Is there any progress on this and if so when would be likely to see it?

I currently have 5L of cider sitting in my FZ waiting for the wife to free up enough space in the keg so that I can transfer it. With the cheap carb caps and the t-piece for them I think it would be nice to be able to do an enclosed transfer to a 5L container then a few weeks later into the keg.

Also how is the coronavirus shutdowns affecting your supply? Wondering if I should get any future birthday presents early, whilst they're still available.

Cheers, paul

Yeah I’ve been wondering this too...
the pet bottles that is, not getting an early birthday present for Pauly (sorry Pauly)

@KegLand-com-au, any eta on stainless maltzillas coming back into stock? And can you say whether or not you're intending to make a straight tri-clamp adapter for the Fermzilla cone without a built-in valve please?

Thanks,

This MaltZilla model here will be back in stock on 20th April.
https://www.kegland.com.au/maltzill...amond-grain-mill-premium-diamond-rollers.html

We have just finished this cap that can be used in conjunction with the FermZilla 2inch Tri-Clover adaptor:
https://www.kegland.com.au/fermzilla-conical-2inch-tri-clover-harvest-adapter.html
So we are now working on the adaptor that will convert the bottom of the FermZilla to 2inch tri-clover. Sorry we have a lot of stuff we are working on at the moment so it's difficult to keep up with all the drawings but the wheels are turning on this one.

I have 3 development item requests for the fermzilla:

1. Closed boil kettle transfer kit. Some kind of ball lock post adapter that allows you to connect a standard silicon hosing size (or have sizing options)
2. Inline oxygenation kit, or carb stone adaptor that allows you to oxygenate wort and carbonate from the collection vessel. This could be a ball lock type setup too, but could be sold alongside the oxygenation wand setup.
3. Fermentation fridge shelving, designed for the fermzilla. I’ve seen a few home jobs that have a normal shelf, with a “U” cutout where the fermzilla slides in. Tank above the shelf, collection and butterfly below. The reason I ask for this is I think you guys will get the perfect U shape to hold it upright in the right spot. You could offer several different thicknesses, and a few different sizes to suit standard fridge sizing. A hardy material like polypropylene would do the trick. Finally, you could have a locking mechanism at the front of the U, so when you have put the fermzilla in, you can close the U and secure it in place. The stand provided is perfectly fine, but this maximises fridge space (especially for fridges with a compressor hump), and might allow some to squeeze in 2.

I have 3 development item requests for the fermzilla:

1. Closed boil kettle transfer kit. Some kind of ball lock post adapter that allows you to connect a standard silicon hosing size (or have sizing options)
2. Inline oxygenation kit, or carb stone adaptor that allows you to oxygenate wort and carbonate from the collection vessel. This could be a ball lock type setup too, but could be sold alongside the oxygenation wand setup.
3. Fermentation fridge shelving, designed for the fermzilla. I’ve seen a few home jobs that have a normal shelf, with a “U” cutout where the fermzilla slides in. Tank above the shelf, collection and butterfly below. The reason I ask for this is I think you guys will get the perfect U shape to hold it upright in the right spot. You could offer several different thicknesses, and a few different sizes to suit standard fridge sizing. A hardy material like polypropylene would do the trick. Finally, you could have a locking mechanism at the front of the U, so when you have put the fermzilla in, you can close the U and secure it in place. The stand provided is perfectly fine, but this maximises fridge space (especially for fridges with a compressor hump), and might allow some to squeeze in 2.

Number 2 is already possible. I have seen a picture, maybe on the Kegland website? Attach a small piece of hose to a carb cap and then air stone to the hose. Hey presto :).

Any chance you could start stocking Weyermann's Carahell? I see that you stock Carapills/Carafoam but as I understand it Carahell is far superior for head retention and provides an amazing gold colour too

Any chance you could start stocking Weyermann's Carahell? I see that you stock Carapills/Carafoam but as I understand it Carahell is far superior for head retention and provides an amazing gold colour too

We do not get much call for the Carahell. We rarely get asked for it and most people seem happy with the Carapills. With that said if it's something a lot of you guys want then we will look at it. We have been making some changes to the range and we are going to reduce the Joe White that we stock as we really just find that the quality is not as good. We are going to start pushing the Barrett Burson malts more in future as they are still quite good value but really better quality than Joe White.

How many other guys our there would really like to see Carahell? Would be keen to get your input on this guys?

Do you have, or can you get a PCB/screen for an older series 3 kegerator?
My display has become hard to read lately as not everything is lighting up.

Number 2 is already possible. I have seen a picture, maybe on the Kegland website? Attach a small piece of hose to a carb cap and then air stone to the hose. Hey presto :).

Yes would agree. We use this method and it works great for Number 2.

For the closed boil kettle transfer kit. What is the main reason you want to do this? Is this because you are concerned about oxygen in the boil kettle? This is not normally an issue.

Number 3 is a bit difficult due to the wide range of different fridge sizes. I think we might have to look at a wire stand where the width can be adjusted so it can fit into various fridge widths. What do you think? We do also have this solution available in the future but it's still a couple months away:
https://www.kegland.com.au/rapt-temperature-controlled-fermentation-chamber-fridge.html
Also we are assuming that some people will not necessarily have the budget for this type of dedicated fridge.

Do you have, or can you get a PCB/screen for an older series 3 kegerator?
My display has become hard to read lately as not everything is lighting up.

If it's the Series 3 model you might want to try BrewMart in WA. I believe they have these spare parts.

Hey been looking at doing smaller ferments in corny kegs (It takes me ages to drink 25-50L of one beer, so was thinking 4x12L and then keg in 10L kegs)

I am tipping the Temp Twister Cooling/Heating Coil - Temperature Control your FermZilla with a glycol chiller wouldn't fit into a corny keg, is this the case

Is there any plans to bring out lids with a coil and maybe a temp probe in order to do this?

I am trying to avoid needed two fridges as I would be looking at running 4 corny kegs with a glycol chiller so that I can run different fermentation temps

(Lager/Ale)

Wouldn't be against a keg jacket that runs glycol through it either

The temp twister would probably fit into the corny keg but inserting and removing the lid would be a real pain. You would have to take the temp twister in and out like a cork screw and this would be a bit frustrating.

The corny kegs really are not designed for fermenters. To fix your problem I think we probably need to design some smaller fermenters in general. We really feel that a fermenter should have a 100-120mm opening as a minimum requirement and corny kegs barely meet this requirement making them a bit difficult to clean. Sure you can get glass demijohns that have smaller openings but this is not ideal either. Given the number of customers doing smaller batch beers like yourself I think you are right and we might need to make some half sized fermenters.

Spend some coin at one of your LHBS's?

Yes would agree. Most good home brew stores will stock silicone tube by the meter. The per meter hosing is just not a thing that we do here. We have streamlined our inventory, picking and packing, and warehouse management in general. Per meter hosing doesnt fit in with our new system so it's something we are unlikely to do in future.

I should also say that when we used to do the hose by the meter we ended up with a lot of random off cut lengths that we would have to factor into the price per meter and this would make our price less competitive overall. One thing we pride ourselves on is being efficient and delivering lowest possible prices and it was just not possible to do this with the loss in off cuts.

Is anyone using on of the 65W pumps with 1/2" fittings and hose? I want a bit of extra flow/pressure through my CFC and also to have a longer hose run out to the fermenting fridge but I'm not sure how much better this pump would be over my 25W once it's restricted down to 1/2" from 3/4".

Is anyone using on of the 65W pumps with 1/2" fittings and hose? I want a bit of extra flow/pressure through my CFC and also to have a longer hose run out to the fermenting fridge but I'm not sure how much better this pump would be over my 25W once it's restricted down to 1/2" from 3/4".

I use such a set up Bobsledboy, it has plenty of grunt. I use it on my CIP.

@KegLand-com-au I've been using the bucket blaster for the past week and it seems like a good unit, although I'm a bit surprised it doesn't come with a spray ball. I added my own (as I'd already had a DIY CIP setup) and it seems to do a better job. The improvement is especially noticeable with cubes and fermenters.

I also found that using the 65L robo as a container instead of the pail worked well (pre-warmed, no elements running while cleaning). I'm thinking of putting a flexible hose on next time to allow for easier post-brewing cleanup.

Do you have any plans to add a sprayball, or any other attachments for CIP?

The temp twister would probably fit into the corny keg but inserting and removing the lid would be a real pain. You would have to take the temp twister in and out like a cork screw and this would be a bit frustrating.

The corny kegs really are not designed for fermenters. To fix your problem I think we probably need to design some smaller fermenters in general. We really feel that a fermenter should have a 100-120mm opening as a minimum requirement and corny kegs barely meet this requirement making them a bit difficult to clean. Sure you can get glass demijohns that have smaller openings but this is not ideal either. Given the number of customers doing smaller batch beers like yourself I think you are right and we might need to make some half sized fermenters.

Something able to be pressurized with Glycol cooling options and I wouldnt be against stainless :p

Might have to wait till you bring something out

Back