Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Daz, you can already do this (purge dry hop of O2) with the standard collection container that comes with the FermZilla by adding a carb cap to one of the ports... I will link a video to Gash where he shows the process:

You should check out his other tips & tricks videos as they are quite useful!

I'm curious about this method. I would have thought that even with multiple purges of CO2 there would still be a reasonable component of oxygen in the collection container, that would be introduced to the brew. Similar to trying to purge oxygen out of a keg by pressurising with CO2 and burping the PRV multiple times, you can't force all the oxygen out. Dropping hops in through the lid would seem lower risk of introducing unwanted oxygen, particularly while some fermentation is still occurring and CO2 is being gassed off.

Dropping hops in through the lid would seem lower risk of introducing unwanted oxygen, particularly while some fermentation is still occurring and CO2 is being gassed off

I have done a double dry hop #1 through the top #2 via the purged container. and it worked great. But the first was at high krausen so yeah, any oxygen was gonna get eaten/pushed out however relying on 'off gassing' or fermentation only works if it's still fermenting or partially carbonated etc. So if you are dry hopping after fermentation is done and you didn't ferment under pressure what do you do?

I am not sure what levels of oxygen are left behind, I always do half a dozen purges at like 20psi. Significantly reduced at a minimum would be my best guess. Each time you purge the oxygen content goes down, to what ratio I don't know.

The point being, It's doubtful they'll put time/money/effort into developing something Daz was talking about as it already has the functionality

I'm curious about this method. I would have thought that even with multiple purges of CO2 there would still be a reasonable component of oxygen in the collection container, that would be introduced to the brew. Similar to trying to purge oxygen out of a keg by pressurising with CO2 and burping the PRV multiple times, you can't force all the oxygen out. Dropping hops in through the lid would seem lower risk of introducing unwanted oxygen, particularly while some fermentation is still occurring and CO2 is being gassed off.

It might be best to mention the numbers here.

In terms of purging gas from the collection container air is about 21% oxygen. So in a 1L bottle you will introduce about 210ml of oxygen if you do not purge the container (minus the volume of the hops)

If you set your regulator to 3bar then charge the collection container to this pressure. Then after a few seconds disconnect the gas then relief the pressure back to atmosphere (by unscrewing the cap slightly) the oxygen concentration will decrease from 21% to 7%.

If you repeat this process
purge 2 times - will decrease to 4% oxygen
purge 3 times - will decrease to 2.9%
purge 4 times - will decrease to 2.2%
purge 10 times - will decrease to 0.9% oxygen
(10 times will will consume about 20L of CO2 so in actual fact the cost of CO2 in this method of purging is only cents and I believe it's worth purging this many times or even more in my opinion)

If you are continuously just running gas through the collection container it's difficult to measure the actual volume of CO2 you have put in and therefore difficult to have confidence in residual O2 concentration.

Hey Josh. It might be worth sending us some photos of the setup. If you email us a bunch of photos sometimes we can pickup on an issue fairly quickly. It's often a lot easier to diagnose once we see what is going on.
Awesome. I’ll do that this weekend. Thanks!

I purchased some bulkhead corny posts to put in the lid of my Guten fermenter with the thought of using a floating dip tube to do a closed transfer into my keg
The bulkheads come with a dip tube so I thought this would be ideal just shove the dip tube tube straight on. Easy
WRONG. The dip tube stops 5mm short of the end of the bulkhead WTF is the use of that????

Still waiting on a Maltzilla update?

Your silence is making the oppositions new, geared, three roller mill look attractive.

Happy to wait but not forever.
I could enjoy wait. I bought the new millmaster

Still waiting on a Maltzilla update?

Your silence is making the oppositions new, geared, three roller mill look attractive.

Happy to wait but not forever.

i understand that there are issues when doing product development, especially when KL are trying to bring out quality products for us, but the silence is pushing me the same way.
We have the first shipment of these arriving end of Feb 2019.
i added that 2019 to the original post for clarity.

Love the free to water. Only thing to improve would be the speed. Either that or allow some time to run so that you can be filling your car or something.

Other than that great work and can't fault the price :p

Love to details of the maltzilla . my question is in relation to the power supply. I already have the one that can with the Cannular will that be able to be used or do I need to purchase a separate one

So the bucket blaster finally arrived in stock after slipping dates 4 times but $52 for postaage! you have to be kidding. Got a weight bench shipped for the teenage son for less from Queensland!

i understand that there are issues when doing product development, especially when KL are trying to bring out quality products for us, but the silence is pushing me the same way.

It's on the website now, bit of a surprise. Looks very interesting, and keenly priced.

Sorry about that. Our intention has not been to be silent we have just been exceptionally busy. The Maltzilla has just been released on the website and it's available to purchase now:
https://www.kegland.com.au/maltzilla-with-12v-motor-the-diamond-mill.html

We have not had the time to do the video on this product yet as we have a number of other videos that we have been making first. This new mill design requires an involved video showing the different mounting option, setting up the hopper, gap setting etc. We have already been using this mill ourselves for more than 6 months now and we have been happy with the results. The diamond coated rollers really pull grain well and give a fantastic grist. Also we have a bit of demand already for this product and the diamond coating process is a bit slow at the moment so we are struggling to keep up with local and international orders. as a result we have not really been pushing the promotion of this product until we can signficantly increase the production speed.

We have a Series X setup video, new Cannular Auto Machine Video, we also have a big release of the new forward sealing taps, Mini regulators and all these products are coming into stock really soon so we have been quite busy with a number of product releases.

@KegLand-com-au Is the motor from the maltzilla going to be available as an item on it's own? I'd like to see if it could be fitted to my mashmaster.
Thanks

Back