Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@KegLand-com-au I have a series 4 kegerator and the wife has suggested that it's too damn loud. I've heard that the series X is a lot quieter, is that true?

If I would like to switch out to a series x should I get the base fridge and expect everything to be able to be moved over easily?

Is there an option where it is sold without a reg?

Is the four tap font more difficult than the already difficult three tap font?

Cheers!

I have to agree with the noise issue - it's my only complaint on an otherwise great system.

Do you have photos? I don't recall seeing photos, if the design has been finalised I guess it would be OK to share?

We are a bit reluctant to give too much away about this product until it's officially released.

Thanks for the update and details.

I selected the email notification for this item the day you listed it on the website, however I will be at work on the 24th so hopefully I won't miss out by the evening. Once again, a pre-ordering system would be much appreciated.

As long as you don't leave it more than about 4-5 days after you get the notification email that it's back in stock then you should be fine. Please also make sure to look at the instruction sheet that has been uploaded here:
https://www.kegland.com.au/media/pdf/Instruction Manual Soda Carbonator Draft.pdf

As long as you don't leave it more than about 4-5 days after you get the notification email that it's back in stock then you should be fine. Please also make sure to look at the instruction sheet that has been uploaded here:
https://www.kegland.com.au/media/pdf/Instruction Manual Soda Carbonator Draft.pdf
Is it just me or does the instruction pdf have a few errors in it?
It looks like you are using liquid disconnects for the gas and gas disconnects for the water out to tap?

Is it just me or does the instruction pdf have a few errors in it?
It looks like you are using liquid disconnects for the gas and gas disconnects for the water out to tap?

Thanks for that. We will get that fixed up today. Much appreciated for the heads up.

The main sound of the fridge is generally the sound of the 150mm fan. You could replace the fan with a smaller and more quiet fan but then your fridge would probably not work as efficiently. The brushless 150mm fan is the same type of fan in both the Series 4 and Series X. You could double check the screws that hold the fan to the roof of the unit are tight as a loose fan would rattle a bit and this could possibly cause some additional noise. If wires or anything else come in contact with the fan blade (or built up ice) this can make quite a loud sound. This fan is not dissimilar to the fans used inside a desktop computer case. So the sound of the fan would be similar to this level of sound.

I should also say that both models of fridge have been made with exposed evaporator. A very small amount of noise (generally less than the fan) is made by liquid refrigerant gas entering this evaporator. Some modern fridges have covers over the evaporator or plastic shroud that covers the evaporator. A plastic shroud like this might help muffle the sound but it also would take up a bit more space and also would not make the fridge as electrically efficient as having the evaporator exposed. So you would pay the price very slightly in electrical efficiency. It should also be noted that we use the r600a which is very slightly more noisy than the r134a. The R600a is also more electrically efficient and environmentally friendly which is why we use it.

So the electrical efficiency does come at a slight compromise when it comes to sound but I would not call the Series X a noisy fridge at all. It's definitely more quiet than our Grand Deluxe ones that have multiple radiator fans running inside this unit.

The main source of noise on the Series 4 is definitely NOT the fan. The evaporator/refrigerant is very noisy. It cannot be put in a living area of the house it is so loud.

I regret buying the Series 4 simply because it is too loud.

The main source of noise on the Series 4 is definitely NOT the fan. The evaporator/refrigerant is very noisy. It cannot be put in a living area of the house it is so loud.

I sort of agree and sort of dont. The fridge part running is louder than the fan but mine certainly isnt too loud to put in the living room.

Also another user asked earlier about a "blank series x" i.e. just the fridge no font, taps etc. but Kegland didnt really answer the question. I would certainly be interested in one just to fit the extra keg and would be happy to swap over the hardware and re purpose the series 4 as a second ferment fridge. So will we be able to buy just the fridge?

I would tend to agree, the fridge is too loud to be placed somewhere you'll notice it like a lounge while watching movies etc. But what is the alternative? not including d.i.y'ing your own or spending more money on a grand deluxe or other commercial style fridge.

I am not sure we can complain with the prices.. I am sure there was a day in the not so distant past that the three tap series IV I bought recently would have been twice the cost and I wouldn't have bought one.

take the good with the bad

So with the carbonation cap, are you recommending to run 4mm ID line directly from a mains tap to the quick disconnect (obviously with a inline regulator)? Can you recommend common attachments to achieve this from the tap end?

Hi KL

Any chance you stocking these. Handy for those who bought a 2 tap fridge and want to upgrade to 3 taps later...

Bev Rite Beer Column Tower Extension Adapter, Add A Tap [Select a Size] (Add 1 to Single or Double Tap)
by Amazon.com
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FYCXQGI/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_awdo_jhl8DbQCWZR2H

It's not a particularly elegant solution. Lets say we sold this part for $25 but then you can get our current three tap for $34.95 it's only $10 more to get a whole new font. Do you think it would still be your preferred option?

I sort of agree and sort of dont. The fridge part running is louder than the fan but mine certainly isnt too loud to put in the living room.

Also another user asked earlier about a "blank series x" i.e. just the fridge no font, taps etc. but Kegland didnt really answer the question. I would certainly be interested in one just to fit the extra keg and would be happy to swap over the hardware and re purpose the series 4 as a second ferment fridge. So will we be able to buy just the fridge?

We have been finding it difficult to keep the New Series X Kegerator in Stock. We have one last shipment before Christmas and I think this will sell out fairly quickly. As we have not had enough stock to sell as kits with taps etc we have not stated selling them on their own. As you can see in this link we have a base kit that includes regulator. Probably by Jan we will also start selling the naked kegerator without regulator too so people like yourself can upgrade an older Series 4 too.

Kegland spunding valves leaking, is there any quick fix without me wading through 164 pages?

I would tend to agree, the fridge is too loud to be placed somewhere you'll notice it like a lounge while watching movies etc. But what is the alternative? not including d.i.y'ing your own or spending more money on a grand deluxe or other commercial style fridge.

I am not sure we can complain with the prices.. I am sure there was a day in the not so distant past that the three tap series IV I bought recently would have been twice the cost and I wouldn't have bought one.

take the good with the bad

The fridge is certainly value for money. There's no argument there. The noise just seems like such an obvious design flaw that should be improved.

The fridge is certainly value for money. There's no argument there. The noise just seems like such an obvious design flaw that should be improved.
It's a balancing act, equipment using new environmentally friendly refrigerants are inherently noisier than the old stuff, making them quieter costs money, additionally fridges are traditionally not kept next to the telly, so noise levels appropriate to a kitchen may be obtrusive in a lounge room. My old Smeg fermenting fridge is almost silent just a faint hum, the brand new replacement can be heard in an adjacent room, such is the price of progress.

Back