Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah don't want to pressure ferment. Really just want the flat bottom for long term sour beer storage. Having said that 30litres is probably to big anyway. I also can't get a response to anything i ask in this thread, which is annoying as i actually prefer their products over keg kings,

You could consider using 2nd hand kegs for long term aging, that's what I'm using and seems to be going ok. I just replaced the beer out tube with a gas diptube and attach the ss float onto it to draw samples etc off the top

You could consider using 2nd hand kegs for long term aging, that's what I'm using and seems to be going ok. I just replaced the beer out tube with a gas diptube and attach the ss float onto it to draw samples etc off the top

I'm using kegs at the moment as well actually. I just cut the dip tubes down though. The float idea sounds good though. The kegs are a good space saver, a bit more volume would be good though.

Whats the biggest volume fermenter that the kegland glycol chiller will work on?

Thanks Snakey

I assume you are talking about the G40 right?

It's no so much to do with size. Its got to do with insulation/heat ingress into the fermenter. If you just want to hold the fermenter at 18C in ambient of say 25C this is obviously not very demanding. With that said if you really want a high degree of flexibility the ideal scenario is to have a fermenter that you can crash chill at -1C even when the ambient temp gets up to 35C.

You can get large and cheap flat bottom wine fermenters that have no insulated jacket and if the fermenter and even with the relatively small 100L ones you will not be able to crash chill. If you get a fermenter with a 50mm polyurethane jacket you get far less heat ingress and you can use the Icemaster G40 will be able to crash chill and it will be able to chill a 400L Fermenter like this. This 400L fermenter size would be the limit for this size chiller.

I do the same.
- Much better for preventing gas transmission.
- Stackable.
- Easy to clean.
- if it tastes good, bang it in the fridge and drink it

No worries. We will update the website soon. The All Rounder 30L is on the way.

The All Rounder 60L is still a few months until it's finished.

Ok so the drawings have just been uploaded here:

30L All Rounder - http://www.kegland.com.au/media/pdf/KL15233 - All Rounder_30L.pdf
60L All Rounder - http://www.kegland.com.au/media/pdf/KL15240 - All Rounder_60L.pdf

Please note that the stand for the all rounder has been designed so it can be used in two different orientations. So depending on which way you face the stand the height will be higher or lower.

Ok so the drawings have just been uploaded here:

30L All Rounder - http://www.kegland.com.au/media/pdf/KL15233 - All Rounder_30L.pdf
60L All Rounder - http://www.kegland.com.au/media/pdf/KL15240 - All Rounder_60L.pdf

Please note that the stand for the all rounder has been designed so it can be used in two different orientations. So depending on which way you face the stand the height will be higher or lower.
A mate of mine was lamenting today that he wouldn't be able to use a 55L Fermzilla in his fermenting fridge as once you add the pressure kit it's too tall
This will be the perfect solution for him

A mate of mine was lamenting today that he wouldn't be able to use a 55L Fermzilla in his fermenting fridge as once you add the pressure kit it's too tall
This will be the perfect solution for him

Yes originally we were concerned that bringing out the All Rounders would be cannibalising our own market and reducing the sales of FermZilla Flat Bottoms and the FermZilla Uni Tanks but ultimately I different customers want different solutions. Some customers have no desire to dump and collect yeast and some people have space limitations. Ideally we want to stop stocking the HDPE ones like the 30L and 60L all together. Would be keen to see what you guys think. Should we get rid of these HDPE ones so we can free up space for other new product?

The big advantages of the HDPE fermenters have been cost, and simplicity of use. Tap, airlock, bottling wand and away you go. Gravity is free, and generally understood adequately to allow a task like bottling to occur.

As the two kits on your website aren't comparable, I'd ask the question: what would be the cost comparison directly between the two. 1 x Fermzilla with airlock and syphon v/s the $25 HDPE kit with airlock and tap.

Whether people are willing to have to use a syphon (which is slightly trickier than the tap for the uninitiated) I don't know. But for me, those are the two issues that would need to be considered.

What the HDPE ones have over the PET fermenters is longevity and being able to give them a hot water wash.

I assume you are talking about the G40 right?

It's no so much to do with size. Its got to do with insulation/heat ingress into the fermenter. If you just want to hold the fermenter at 18C in ambient of say 25C this is obviously not very demanding. With that said if you really want a high degree of flexibility the ideal scenario is to have a fermenter that you can crash chill at -1C even when the ambient temp gets up to 35C.

You can get large and cheap flat bottom wine fermenters that have no insulated jacket and if the fermenter and even with the relatively small 100L ones you will not be able to crash chill. If you get a fermenter with a 50mm polyurethane jacket you get far less heat ingress and you can use the Icemaster G40 will be able to crash chill and it will be able to chill a 400L Fermenter like this. This 400L fermenter size would be the limit for this size chiller.
Thanks for the answer. I am about to buy a 1bbl SS uni tank with neoprene jacket and internal chiller coil and was wondering if this unit would drop it from 18⁰ to 0⁰ or even 90⁰ to 18⁰.
Thanks

The big advantages of the HDPE fermenters have been cost, and simplicity of use. Tap, airlock, bottling wand and away you go. Gravity is free, and generally understood adequately to allow a task like bottling to occur.

As the two kits on your website aren't comparable, I'd ask the question: what would be the cost comparison directly between the two. 1 x Fermzilla with airlock and syphon v/s the $25 HDPE kit with airlock and tap.

Whether people are willing to have to use a syphon (which is slightly trickier than the tap for the uninitiated) I don't know. But for me, those are the two issues that would need to be considered.

In terms of cost. If we removed all the accessories from this kit:
https://www.kegland.com.au/fermzilla-30l-flat-bottom-fermenter-home-brew-beginners-starter-kit.html
Then sold this just as a fermenter, airlock and temp sticker then we would be able to sell these for about $29.95

If we compare this to these HDPE ones:
https://www.kegland.com.au/30l-hdpe-fermenter-kit.html

You can see the price is $24.95 so it's really similar.

If customers really wanted we can pre-fit taps to the FermZilla Flat Bottom but I am afraid this really makes the vessel far less sanitary.

In terms of cost. If we removed all the accessories from this kit:
https://www.kegland.com.au/fermzilla-30l-flat-bottom-fermenter-home-brew-beginners-starter-kit.html
Then sold this just as a fermenter, airlock and temp sticker then we would be able to sell these for about $29.95

If we compare this to these HDPE ones:
https://www.kegland.com.au/30l-hdpe-fermenter-kit.html

You can see the price is $24.95 so it's really similar.

If customers really wanted we can pre-fit taps to the FermZilla Flat Bottom but I am afraid this really makes the vessel far less sanitary.
I asked if you were planning on selling just the flat bottom by itself like 2 pages back. I really don't see many people buying that full kit, i'd probably buy 2, and i definitely don't need 2 cappers. I'd be keen for just the fermenter for $30 though.

Thanks for the answer. I am about to buy a 1bbl SS uni tank with neoprene jacket and internal chiller coil and was wondering if this unit would drop it from 18⁰ to 0⁰ or even 90⁰ to 18⁰.
Thanks

More than happy to do the calculations for you but you need to tell me how many watts of heat ingress you are going to get into your tank. This is hard for me to assume. The neoprene jackets look nice but they do not insulate fermenters very well at all. Especially when you have a whole bunch of stainless steel conductive penetrations through the neoprene jacket.

It would probably work but it's hard for me to do the calculations without knowing the heat ingress. What I can say is that our chiller is more powerful than the Grainfather chiller.

I asked if you were planning on selling just the flat bottom by itself like 2 pages back. I really don't see many people buying that full kit, i'd probably buy 2, and i definitely don't need 2 cappers. I'd be keen for just the fermenter for $30 though.

Yes it's now been decided that we are going to sell it on it's own and the price will be about $30.

Thanks

I am using a single KL G40 to maintain temperatures across 2 x 200L jacketed uni-tanks (also procured from KL). I have managed to crash cool one fermenter from around 20C to 2C which took about 4-5 hours while maintaining the other (already crash cooled) fermenter at 2C. I haven't had any difficulty maintaining the temp across both fermenters at 2C though the ambient temperatures have not exceeded 20C during this time, over summer I'm sure it would be a bit more of a struggle.

Having said that, my jacketed unitanks would not be a fair like for like comparison with an un-jacketed unitank that uses a neoprene parker for insulation and an internal coil for heat exchange.

I'm curious to know what price you are looking at paying for your unjacketed 1BBL fermenter because KL offer very reasonable prices on jacketed pro equipment. I also have a 100L unjacketed SS conical fermenter that has now been relegated to a very expensive cleaning solution vessel in place of my new jacketed unitanks.

Back