Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So we might also stock some PET bottles as well. If you guys could choose any PET bottle size to use with this cap what size would you choose? We could make any size from 1L up to 5L. The bottle cost would not be very high. Only a few dollars per bottle. The increase in size would not have a significant increase in price. So to get your feedback what size would you guys prefer?

I would say definately a 5L option, and possibly a 1 or 1.5L for taking a couple to a BBQ or similar

So we might also stock some PET bottles as well. If you guys could choose any PET bottle size to use with this cap what size would you choose? We could make any size from 1L up to 5L. The bottle cost would not be very high. Only a few dollars per bottle. The increase in size would not have a significant increase in price. So to get your feedback what size would you guys prefer?
A PET bottle that fits in the 4L mini keg parka would be good. (The 5L is too fat to fit in a Kegerator together with 4 X 19L or in many fridge doors.)

Do you have a rough idea what the dimensions of the bottles would be?

My place isn’t big enough for a kegorator, and having these to go in the fridge door would be awesome... (much much cheaper than mini kegs!)

2 x 5l, one with water and one with beer line cleaner would be perfect for the keezer

Given they've put "65 psi" on the side of the adapter, I'm guessing they reckon a PET bottle is good to about 65 psi!

(I've force carbonated at 40 psi many times, and used up to 120 psi for bottle rockets, so 65 feels reasonable to me)

Yes that is correct. The PET bottles would be safe to be used at 65PSI if we ended up making them. If we went with a 5L size the height would have to be about 50cm tall. This height would make it difficult to fit into an esky or something. Would that bother you or given the large height would you prefer to have a 3-4L size that is about 35cm tall?

Haha true, so plenty.

Also had a question for Kegland regarding their kegerators. I'm thinking of purchasing one soonish, is there anything on the horizon for updated models or other fridges worth mentioning before I do? And also I can't find any warranty information about your kegerators, whats the warranty peroid on them? Thanks

Kegerators are 1 year. Basically all the new products we sell are 1 year warranty unless otherwise stated on the website. For instance we do have longer warranty on other items such as Kegs (10 years warranty but this is stated in the description)and BrewZilla (3 Year warranty as you can see here). So the best thing to do is look at the product description for warranty and if it doesn't state the warranty in the description then assume it will be 1 year.

Yes that is correct. The PET bottles would be safe to be used at 65PSI if we ended up making them. If we went with a 5L size the height would have to be about 50cm tall. This height would make it difficult to fit into an esky or something. Would that bother you or given the large height would you prefer to have a 3-4L size that is about 35cm tall?
What about 2.5 litres, they seem pretty cheap too.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...spm=a2700.details.maylikeexp.1.c4c39834DrY7tl

I would go a 1 Ltr, a 3.5 Ltr and a 5, just to cover all bases.

Yes we did try those ones specifically but we had two issues with them.

The plastic in these is just mono-barrier straight PET with tint. No other additives were used so the gas transmission rate is a bit high and not really good for long term storage. These bottles are used in China as disposable growlers primarily.

The other problem is they were really weak. The 3.5L size burst in the drop test from less than 1 meter high. So I think you guys would be disappointed if we stocked these. To be honest it's a real issue with the current PET bottles sold for home brewing in too. Many of them are really not great for long term storage (over 6 months) as the oxygen that passes through the PET is too high for this application. It's just not really spoken about amongst home brewers for some reason. If we find time one day we should do the lab testing and release the results publicly but not all PET bottles are great for long term storage of beer.

If we spend about AUD$0.50 more on the preform we can get a barrier layer in the PET so it will be suitable for much longer term storage of beer without the oxidation issue. It's a much more complicated preform to make and it would have to be custom made for us but I think its worth the extra cost especially for a re-usable bottle.

A PET bottle that fits in the 4L mini keg parka would be good. (The 5L is too fat to fit in a Kegerator together with 4 X 19L or in many fridge doors.)

Yeah I think fitting in the fridge door is a fairly important point for a keg this size.

I’m still away from home but if you measure the 64 oz stainless growlers with the drafto top which I think are about 330 tall all up
The growlers that I use are from eBay and keg king ( single skin non insulated) which I think are about 175 mm at the base.
These growlers are tapered at the bottom to allow them to fit in the fridge door shelf
The door shelf has a lip on the bottom ( in our fridge)

I’m still away from home but if you measure the 64 oz stainless growlers with the drafto top which I think are about 330 tall all up
The growlers that I use are from eBay and keg king ( single skin non insulated) which I think are about 175 mm at the base.
These growlers are tapered at the bottom to allow them to fit in the fridge door shelf
The door shelf has a lip on the bottom ( in our fridge)

Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

I would say 4 or 5L. You can get bottles up to 3L with soda in them for a couple of dollars.

I'd go a few 4litre ones just for soda water in the fridge. The 5litre would be to tall. Make a soda bulb adapter to push it out a tap and i'm sold.

Hi guys, I recently purchased a MFL Shank adapter from KL (https://www.kegland.com.au/stainless-mfl-tap-shank-adaptor.html), the issue is I can't get the adapter to seal against my Intertap FC . There's a mention of a nylon washer being recommended but in this case the adapter seems pretty useless with out it? As when tightened the adapter is loose on the back of the tap. Anyone used one of these?

Hey @KegLand-com-au, could you please add the G40.1 manual to the product listing? At the moment it links to an STC1000 manual, there's nothing about the chiller unit itself.

Thanks

Hi guys, I recently purchased a MFL Shank adapter from KL (https://www.kegland.com.au/stainless-mfl-tap-shank-adaptor.html), the issue is I can't get the adapter to seal against my Intertap FC . There's a mention of a nylon washer being recommended but in this case the adapter seems pretty useless with out it? As when tightened the adapter is loose on the back of the tap. Anyone used one of these?

Please have a look at this diagram here. Do you have the seal 11 in your tap:
http://www.intertap.beer/Downloads/Intertap 8473-G2.pdf

You need to make sure this seal is in good condition.

We do talk about a nylon olive as well but this goes between the disconnect and the adaptor not between the adaptor and the tap.

Back