Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Kegland you mentioned the dome bottomed fermzillas a while back just wondering when these will be available? Ive been wondering how you could dry hop in these without opening the lid and have a idea it may well be a stupid idea but still a idea lol.
Place hops and a small magnet inside a hop bag hold it inside against the top of the fermenter with another magnet on top and when ready to dryhop pull the magnet off.

Hey Kegland you mentioned the dome bottomed fermzillas a while back just wondering when these will be available? Ive been wondering how you could dry hop in these without opening the lid and have a idea it may well be a stupid idea but still a idea lol.
Place hops and a small magnet inside a hop bag hold it inside against the top of the fermenter with another magnet on top and when ready to dryhop pull the magnet off.

We had a big discussion about this in the office. Definitely a way of keeping everything ‘enclosed’. But I and others wondered if it comes at the expense of flavour and aroma. We go to all these lengths to get the freshest hops - what sort of detrimental effect would the vigorous fermentation off-gassing have on the hops dangling above? Would they be cardboard by the time it came to dry hopping? Would it negate the upsides of a closed system?

We had a big discussion about this in the office. Definitely a way of keeping everything ‘enclosed’. But I and others wondered if it comes at the expense of flavour and aroma. We go to all these lengths to get the freshest hops - what sort of detrimental effect would the vigorous fermentation off-gassing have on the hops dangling above? Would they be cardboard by the time it came to dry hopping? Would it negate the upsides of a closed system?
I did wonder about the humidty level inside the fermenter . maybe something similar to the removable trub container on the conical but with a much smaller opening that could be purged and attach to the lid. The only reason im not going for the fermzilla is size/height . Any info on release date of the domed bottom?

My apologies if I offended you it was not my intent (provided you are not phantom from KK) you do see the problem? KK have posted so much shit under ghost names and supporters looking at you "weal and the crew" putting KL down for WHAT? FYI the bloody dip tubes should/would never have been a problem if reasonable QA was in place, yes shit happens but this isn't a one in a hundred case is it? I recently received a bad tap from KL, ordered 4 one was suss, email sent and tap returned, new one on it's way, no fuss, no court cases, just normal business, no need to have an orgasm on a forum. It is what it is. cheers G
If I was a phantom, do you think I’d be critical of my own product? It obviously is an issue and I’d hate to think how many dip tubes are like that out there. I don’t see this as positive advertisement. My American pale was kegged three days later than planned because of this. Annoying!

I started the thread to get advice about the keg (why would a phantom do this?) and hopefully find a solution. I got one (figured it out with another bloke on a Facebook group), he wanted to see how I went addressing it with them and they were great. Good for others to know. The boys at the counter have nothing to do with the manufacturing lines in China.

I get what you mean about smoke screens and mirrors. I’m too busy finding the time to brew, be a dad and living my own life to care about the politics of it all. I’ve bought from both KK and KL and there’s no bias there. Sometimes it’s about what’s in stock. I’m not a banner holder for either side and my thread had no intention of serving anything other than getting the kegs functional.

I’m glad you’re getting your tap swapped no problems. Maybe someone who has a faulty KL tap would be glad to hear this. Obviously it’s isolated issue or I’m sure there’d be a thread on it too. No ones immune unfortunately, but no firing fuel on a fire from my end.

As far as orgasms go, it was nice to be treated like a human and not a fool. I’m sick of returning faulty products to be told I’m doing it wrong or it’s fine, when something is clearly wrong. I was happy, but if that’s an orgasm, l must be doing it wrong.

It ended up the best result for an average situation. My kegs are working fine now.

That’s all I really care about, rather than my experience being collateral in a war between merchants that I’m not interested in. That’s what annoyed me.

If your apology is genuine, I accept it.

Sounds great, but please make sure they work through SS fermenters

The way this will be designed it has the best possible chance that it will work through the SS tanks however it's difficult to guarantee at this stage. We should have more information on this in a few months time.

I did wonder about the humidty level inside the fermenter . maybe something similar to the removable trub container on the conical but with a much smaller opening that could be purged and attach to the lid. The only reason im not going for the fermzilla is size/height . Any info on release date of the domed bottom?

The domed bottom one will be one of the most compact pressure fermenters you will be able to purchase. So if this doesn't solve your issue then you probably will not have any other option. The dome bottom design is called "The All Rounder". You can get a bit of an idea what this will look like here:

FermZilla%20All%20Rounder.png

As you can see the stand has been design to flip in to directions so if you really want to reduce the height you can use option furthest to the left. Most people will use the middle option and then for storage most people will probably store in the position to the right.

Got a co 2 regulator from Kegland never been right from the start sent it back under warranty ,Now i am getting all sorts of excuses if you bring the gear in from china have the decency to stand by your warranty .

No problem. I do not work in this area but I will follow it up with the guys in the office. If you are talking about these MK4 regulators as far as I am aware they are one of the best regulators on the market. They have a similar feature set to regulators that are double or three times the price.

About the only issues we ever see with any regulator weather it's ours or even some other far more expensive brands are:

1. Pressure creep. If you get contamination inside the seat and seat cap assembly then you will get pressure creep. This is often the case with liquid getting into the regulator and then causing corrosion. Luckily this is very easy to repair and the process is described in this manual here.

2. The second most common issue is gauges getting dented. The MK4 regulators have got thicker steel than they ever have in the gauges so they are more difficult to damage but with that said the best way to avoid damaging you gauges is to simply purchase the gauge guard. Trust me. This is a worthwhile investment.

If you dont mind me asking what is the issue you had with the regulator? I am sure with a bit more detail we can solve the problem on the forum fairly quickly but we really need more detail.

Is this including the mini regs that you currently sell?

Ok I will try to be as unbiased as possible here:

Mini Regulator
https://www.kegland.com.au/premium-regulated-co2-charger.html
This one here is definitely designed to a price point. It has no pressure relief valve and one of the biggest issues is that it the gauges get damaged easily. A small knock and you can smash the lense. Given that these are often used at parties or taken to BBQs the reality is they are just not robust enough for this environment in my opinion.

All in One Mini Regulator
https://www.kegland.com.au/mini-all-in-one-regulator-charger-with-prv.html
These are actually more expensive for us to make than our large MK4 Regulator which are much larger. I think these are one of the best mini regulators available at the moment in Australia however they are still not perfect which is why we really need to make a new model. One of my biggest frustrations with this design is when you screw in the 16gram bulb you have a few moments between when the 16gram bulb seals and but the end has already been punctured. If you screw the bulb in really fast the lost gas can be minimised. But when you only have 16grams to play with this is really quite a lot of gas to give up. Also this model currently fits the Type 30 thread so it can go onto a larger gas cylinder as well. In future we will make this regulator so it can fit to a sodastream without the need for the sodastream adaptor which is currently the case. When you think about it, not much point to have a mini regulator that can fit to a conventional large cylinder. The mini regulator should really go onto the Sodastream directly.

Other Competitors
Certainly there are competitors with mini regulators also that are ok but they all have similar flaws to the ones i have mentioned above and many of them are far worse in quality. So we hope we can make the new model significantly better and address these annoying points.

Yes we have had customers use the FermZilla conical in the same way and use the magnet to lower the hops. This is probably the best way to do it. You definitely have to plan a bit better when you use a fermenter like this. Pro's and cons for both the FermZilla - All Rounder and the FermZilla Conical tank. Conical tanks are more complicated to clean and have more parts to maintain but the ability to dump really makes it more capable. If you never have plans to collect yeast and you turn over the beer in the fermenter fast enough that your dry hops doesn't go grassy then the FermZilla - All Rounder might be the better option (and it's quite a bit cheaper). It's difficult to say one is better than the other. They are just different products for different jobs.

Yes we have had customers use the FermZilla conical in the same way and use the magnet to lower the hops. This is probably the best way to do it. You definitely have to plan a bit better when you use a fermenter like this. Pro's and cons for both the FermZilla - All Rounder and the FermZilla Conical tank. Conical tanks are more complicated to clean and have more parts to maintain but the ability to dump really makes it more capable. If you never have plans to collect yeast and you turn over the beer in the fermenter fast enough that your dry hops doesn't go grassy then the FermZilla - All Rounder might be the better option (and it's quite a bit cheaper). It's difficult to say one is better than the other. They are just different products for different jobs.
When can i buy one? happy to be your guinea pig

Too late.. Somebody on the HB FB page has already done this... ;);)

i just seen it on the kl Facebook page . but my post was before his lol

How many uses does everyone get from their oxygen kit?

https://www.kegland.com.au/high-capacity-disposable-gas-cylinder-1-43l-110bar-oxygen.html

I opened a brand new cylinder yesterday, never connected, and got 2.5min out of it at 15psi.

I immediately disconnected after use. I pressed the button on top of the cylinder to check... empty?!?
So far have done 27 brews with my latest Brewman bottle and still has plenty left. 90-100 secs per brew and more for cleaning each time @ 1-1.5 L/min

So far have done 27 brews with my latest Brewman bottle and still has plenty left. 90-100 secs per brew and more for cleaning each time @ 1-1.5 L/min

Thanks, do you have a flow meter in your setup or do you just judge this based on pressure?

Latest posts

Back