Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had a dodgy set of line that caused leaks (i.e. not quite 8mm OD), but the same fittings with another batch of line was fine

Is this the first time you've used any push fittings? Just wondering whether you know about them having to go in straight without bends right at the join..

Yes this is absolutely something we have noticed with some competitors beer line. We would recommend EVABarrier as it's great value and made to a high specification and tight tolerance especially the OD of the line. Clearly this is one of our own brands. If you want to use a competitors beer line I would also recommend the Valpar as also has tight tolerances on the sizes so this works just as well but it's generally not as good value as the EVABarrier that we have.

We have found these to be extremely reliable and we have sold literally hundreds of thousands of these now with almost no leaks that we know of. If you have threaded fittings it's worth checking this instruction sheet to make sure you understand how to correctly torque the threaded fittings:
https://www.kegland.com.au/media/pdf/duotight Female Flare Fittings.pdf

If you have an issue on the beer line side then I would make sure you cut the end of the beer line clean. We have this cheap tool that does a great job:
https://www.kegland.com.au/tube-cutter-pipe-cutter-2-in-1-for-evabarrier-pex-hdpe-vinyl-tubing.html
The push the line "firmly" into the duotight fitting

hey kegland, would you also recommend using food safe lubricant when pushing the evabarrier into the duotight? Or, is there no real benefit?

hey kegland, would you also recommend using food safe lubricant when pushing the evabarrier into the duotight? Or, is there no real benefit?

This will not be necessary. I mean you can if you want to and it might make it slightly easier to push in but ultimately it will seal perfectly without it.

Hi Kegland. Question about the oxygenation kit and reg.

Is the gas flow fully closed off when the reg is screwed all the way out, or is recommended to unscrew the reg between uses?

Is the gas flow fully closed off when the reg is screwed all the way out, or is recommended to unscrew the reg between uses?
I've got the brewman reg - Steve said to unscrew it because it isn't leak proof.

With the gas bottle from Brewman this was fine, but with Keg Land's the bottle leaks oxygen like crazy when putting it on/off. Would love to hear I didn't have to do this...

I did unscrew the reg this time and a small amount of gas did escape, nothing too serious. Just asking if it's necessary.

The best thing to do if you are not going to use the regulator for a while is separate the regulator from the gas cylinder.

Hey kegland, any plans to make a smaller collection vessel for a bit of flexibility? Losing a litre of beer could be avoided if we had an option of a smaller collection bottle.

For instance I've just emptied the collection bottle because it was full of cold break after one day, now I don't think I'll need a litre collection bottle to capture the yeast. So if there was an option of a 500ml vessel I would have used that the second time.

Kegland on to my second brew in the Fermzilla, it rocks. Thank you for developing and challenging the norms, I hope it works well for you.

is it normal for a LOT of oxygen to escape when doing this?
I have the KL reg and bottle, if you've got another reg that fits the cylinder there might be a slight difference that's causing your leaking.

Like I said when I unscrewed mine there was only a half second of gas escaping, like the poppet valve on the cylinder was closed and it was just the gas in the reg coming out.

In did check to see if there was any gas escaping the end of the tube before I attached the wand. I put the end of the tube in a glass of water, the water went up the tube about 10mm. Left it for half a day and it was still at the same spot.

For peice of mind it would be nice to have some sort of shut off valve on the cylinder, as I'm not too sure if the valve on the cylinder is meant to be opened and closed by taking the reg off every use long term. I haven't looked into this but I'll have google.

Hey all I'm interested in a work around to see if I can work with a 27L Fermzilla in my Series 4 Keggerator (which doubles as my fermentation chamber).
I know it wont fit in the fridge with the collection bottle. But with the collection bottle removed and the stand flipped it should fit....

My question is could I theoretically ferment without the collection bottle. Remove the fermenter from my Keggerator and attach the collection bottle, dump trub etc, then remove collection bottle and place back into the fridge and then rinse and repeat for Yeast capture and maybe dryhopping (out of the fridge as it wont fit) ?

Hey kegland, any plans to make a smaller collection vessel for a bit of flexibility? Losing a litre of beer could be avoided if we had an option of a smaller collection bottle.

For instance I've just emptied the collection bottle because it was full of cold break after one day, now I don't think I'll need a litre collection bottle to capture the yeast. So if there was an option of a 500ml vessel I would have used that the second time.

We do not have any plans to do this at this stage. One thing the wine industry dues is use glass balls ( i think they are just marbles to displace volume inside some larger vessels. So you could just do that as well. Previously we found the 500ml was too small and a lot of customers wanted a large one which is how we came to the 1000ml size. If we get enough request for a smaller one we will re-consider and make a smaller one.

Kegland on to my second brew in the Fermzilla, it rocks. Thank you for developing and challenging the norms, I hope it works well for you.

Thanks for that Paddy. Really appreciate it. We have quite a lot of new stuff that is on the way so if you like the FermZilla hopefully you are just as happy with the other new stuff too.

is it normal for a LOT of oxygen to escape when doing this?

It's difficult to define "a LOT". I guess the best comparison is unscrewing a threaded schrader valve of a car tyre. If you do it quickly then you dont loose too much. So as long as you unscrew the valve fast the losses should be minimal.

I have the KL reg and bottle, if you've got another reg that fits the cylinder there might be a slight difference that's causing your leaking.

Like I said when I unscrewed mine there was only a half second of gas escaping, like the poppet valve on the cylinder was closed and it was just the gas in the reg coming out.

In did check to see if there was any gas escaping the end of the tube before I attached the wand. I put the end of the tube in a glass of water, the water went up the tube about 10mm. Left it for half a day and it was still at the same spot.

For peice of mind it would be nice to have some sort of shut off valve on the cylinder, as I'm not too sure if the valve on the cylinder is meant to be opened and closed by taking the reg off every use long term. I haven't looked into this but I'll have google.

The oxygen cylinders are really designed to be as low cost as possible as they are a disposable product. The additional valve on the cylinder would increase the cylinder cost by about 30%. So we would have to carefully evaluate if this was what guys like yourself want. From our experience the gas already shuts off quite fast if you unscrew the regulator quickly.

Hey all I'm interested in a work around to see if I can work with a 27L Fermzilla in my Series 4 Keggerator (which doubles as my fermentation chamber).
I know it wont fit in the fridge with the collection bottle. But with the collection bottle removed and the stand flipped it should fit....

My question is could I theoretically ferment without the collection bottle. Remove the fermenter from my Keggerator and attach the collection bottle, dump trub etc, then remove collection bottle and place back into the fridge and then rinse and repeat for Yeast capture and maybe dryhopping (out of the fridge as it wont fit) ?

Yes you can ferment without the collection bottle attached. There is nothing that would be stopping you from doing this at all it's just a bit of stuffing around moving the fermenter/uni tank in and out of the fridge which would be a pain. In your instance I would consider getting one of the new models of PET fermenter that is pressure rated however just has a dome bottom and you cant dump from the base or alternatively waiting for the new fermenting fridge to come out.

Latest posts

Back