Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Kegland, I have one of your 'amazing hop spiders', and I don't know if it's just me, but the mesh on it might be too fine? I find that it doesn't seem to get much movement through it and no boil activity in it. I also find it a real pain to clean, even soaking it in PBW overnight, but I'm not too worried about the cleanliness of it. I'm about to give up and try grain bags instead. Would one with a mesh that's not as fine be a better option?

It's a really difficult balancing act when it comes to filtration of hops. We have found that more course mesh would block less but it definitely results in some percentage of hops getting through and thus becoming a less effective filter.

The 80 mesh that we use we have found is effective at getting more than 95% of the hops. So I guess if you could accept 70% of hops then we might be able to increase the aperture size to as large as 2mm but then you would be getting about 30% of hops not captured.

Kegland's site says it's a 0.2mm aperture ( I wonder if they have the micron figure wrong)
Same as Keg King's

This is a bit confusing. Its an 80 mesh screen and the 0.2mm aperture. I think on the website it was not correct previously and it said 80 micron mesh but this doesn't make sense. It's what our supplier has written down but it's actually 80mesh and 0.2mm aperture.

This is a bit confusing. Its an 80 mesh screen and the 0.2mm aperture. I think on the website it was not correct previously and it said 80 micron mesh but this doesn't make sense. It's what our supplier has written down but it's actually 80mesh and 0.2mm aperture.

Ugh, US customary units.... FWIW the standard way of writing "80 mesh" is "No. 80" or "Number 80", but I'd just remove that from your description and go for 0.2mm or 200μm

Hi Kegland,
How far away are some larger tap font options for the Grand Deluxe Fridges? I'm really keen on the 20 keg model to serve at my engagement party but I would like to have 8 to 10 taps to serve from and I don't really see any solutions for actually setting up the fridges on your site.

Can someone confirm for me that the PBW is safe for use on PET fermenters? I assume that it is completely fine... but just in case.

Hi Kegland,
How far away are some larger tap font options for the Grand Deluxe Fridges? I'm really keen on the 20 keg model to serve at my engagement party but I would like to have 8 to 10 taps to serve from and I don't really see any solutions for actually setting up the fridges on your site.

Its funny you bring that up actually. We were just working on new designs of 3 and 4 tap fonts. Historically the previous designs have been difficult to hook up the plumbing and also the way they were made ended up producing a font that we felt did not have the best possible finish. We have some new designs of modular tri-clover fonts too but not everyone likes the look of these so we are making some new more sleek designs for the 3 and 4 tap but the new tooling and punches are only in the design process and these will be at least 3 months before we have this product finished.

Its funny you bring that up actually. We were just working on new designs of 3 and 4 tap fonts. Historically the previous designs have been difficult to hook up the plumbing and also the way they were made ended up producing a font that we felt did not have the best possible finish. We have some new designs of modular tri-clover fonts too but not everyone likes the look of these so we are making some new more sleek designs for the 3 and 4 tap but the new tooling and punches are only in the design process and these will be at least 3 months before we have this product finished.

Glycol chilled options would be good for this as well :p

Ah so are the modular fonts closer than the other designs then?

Has anyone else had problems with sealing Duotight fittings? I've lost two cylinders of gas from leaking fittings. after the first one i submerged all the joints to find the smallest leak on one. There was no leaks after i fixed that one. Then one fitting (a T piece), had a bad leak and i lost my 2nd bottle of gas. This seems to have appeared after i confirmed all was ok. I'm not confident to use them anymore.

Is this common or am I unlucky/paranoid?

Has anyone else had problems with sealing Duotight fittings? I've lost two cylinders of gas from leaking fittings. after the first one i submerged all the joints to find the smallest leak on one. There was no leaks after i fixed that one. Then one fitting (a T piece), had a bad leak and i lost my 2nd bottle of gas. This seems to have appeared after i confirmed all was ok. I'm not confident to use them anymore.

I've not used the duotight ones only the John guest and I've had problems. I'm now going to replace them with barb fittings on the gas side of my keezer.

Make sure the outside of the tube is in perfect condition, slightest scratch or scuff mark, and you are asking for a leak. Put a tiny amount of food grade silicon lube on the outside of the tube before pushing it into the fitting. I have been using these fittings with Eva tube with no problems.

This is concerning for someone that put together a kegerator with a bunch duotights on the weekend haha. I will be pressure testing in the next few days and will report back. I used the 5x8 evabarrier on mine and made sure to get clean straight cuts with the cutting tool each time... so we shall see.

I have had a dodgy set of line that caused leaks (i.e. not quite 8mm OD), but the same fittings with another batch of line was fine

Is this the first time you've used any push fittings? Just wondering whether you know about them having to go in straight without bends right at the join..

Last edited:

We have found these to be extremely reliable and we have sold literally hundreds of thousands of these now with almost no leaks that we know of. If you have threaded fittings it's worth checking this instruction sheet to make sure you understand how to correctly torque the threaded fittings:
https://www.kegland.com.au/media/pdf/duotight Female Flare Fittings.pdf

If you have an issue on the beer line side then I would make sure you cut the end of the beer line clean. We have this cheap tool that does a great job:
https://www.kegland.com.au/tube-cutter-pipe-cutter-2-in-1-for-evabarrier-pex-hdpe-vinyl-tubing.html
The push the line "firmly" into the duotight fitting

Also you can get leaks due to poor beer/gas line. So I would recommend you use our EVABarrier beer line that you can see here:
6mm ID - https://www.kegland.com.au/evabarrier-6mm-x-10mm-double-wall-eva-12meter-length-in-bag.html
5mm ID - https://www.kegland.com.au/evabarrier-5mm-x-8mm-double-wall-eva-12meter-length-in-bag.html
4mm ID - https://www.kegland.com.au/evabarrier-4mm-x-8mm-double-wall-eva-12meter-roll-in-bag.html

We have noticed that some other competitors do not make the line to specification and if you use the 8mm duotight fitting the line NEEDS to be 8.0-8.15mm diameter. If it's under 8mm then you will notice that you do not get a tight reliable seal. What beer line are you using?

Back