Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah they seem to be listing it for sale, but I'm not really sure what we are buying?

Any chance of a video on the FermZilla? I seem to recall you guys taking about various options with the tank such as a thermoweld etc ?

Yes we will have a number of accessories including the thermowell available in the future and we will do a video soon. At the moment we already have more people waning the product that we are able to produce so we have been reluctant to do more promotional information until production speeds have increased, but videos will definitely be coming soon.

I don't see the video as promotional, I see it as informing the buyers what they are getting. It can't be the same product as you designed 12 months ago, there must be changes so it would seem reasonable to know what they are.
Are the accessories all add ons to the basic model or if you want a thermowell we should wait and hold off until that's available? I don't think this information should be withheld, just want to be an informed buyer.

I don't see the video as promotional, I see it as informing the buyers what they are getting. It can't be the same product as you designed 12 months ago, there must be changes so it would seem reasonable to know what they are.
Are the accessories all add ons to the basic model or if you want a thermowell we should wait and hold off until that's available? I don't think this information should be withheld, just want to be an informed buyer.

The add-on accessories are also being manufactured will be adaptable to the base kit. So they will be backward compatible. The reason we have made the lid how we have is so that several additional ports on the lid can take various accessories such as thermowell, cooling coil, siphon, insulated jacket etc.

This is also the same thing with the collection container. As you would notice from the image we have two ports on the base of the collection container so you can more easily release pressure, purge hops, dose oxygen/nitrogen, carbonate the beverage etc. So we will explain these other applications further down the track as these accessories become available.

Any plans to make something similar to the ss brewbucket / guten ss 30l fermenter? If so, any details on timing?

Still tossing up between a plastic fermzilla and stainless fermenter, but leaning slightly closer to the stainless...

Any plans to make something similar to the ss brewbucket / guten ss 30l fermenter? If so, any details on timing?

Still tossing up between a plastic fermzilla and stainless fermenter, but leaning slightly closer to the stainless...

We are working with More Beer in America at the moment and we will have a range of stainless steel fermenters in the future. With that said the PET fermenters are getting better and better.

I dont see the attraction to the BrewBucket to be honest. For a similar price you can just get one of these:
https://www.kegland.com.au/29l-kegmenter-304-stainless-uni-tank-pressurisable-fermenter.html

https://www.kegland.com.au/58l-kegmenter-304-stainless-uni-tank-pressurisable-fermenter.html
I think these are far more capable vessel, you can use them as kegs as well, the lid seals much tighter and you can carbonate and do a lot more with the vessel.

SS Brew Bucket stuff is beautifully marketed and designed but from a practicality point of view it's just not as capable as the Kegmenter option. The only other small advantage is the lid opens wider. The Kegmenters are pressure rated, come with a large enough 4 inch opening at the top to still get your hand in for cleaning, you can carbonate in them, fit electric element to the side and use them for distilling, inoculation vessel, as a keg and many other purposes.

With that said I honestly prefer to use plastic myself as it's kinda nice to see the fermentation inside the vessel. The new PET FermZilla units are an excellent choice but if you don't want to collect and re-use yeast then you could also wait until we finish our new flat bottom fermenter design which is about 3-4 months away.

Are you still looking at making a FermZilla that can withstand boiling water? I know it was mentioned earlier, just haven't heard anything since.

Are you still looking at making a FermZilla that can withstand boiling water? I know it was mentioned earlier, just haven't heard anything since.

We are still trying to work out if people will pay for this option. The raw material is about 25 times more expensive. We have been trying to negotiate the pricing structure down so it's more affordable but at this stage it's the cost of the raw material that we are struggling with.

So we would have to absorb some of the cost and then also onforward some of the cost to do it but the high temp resistant tanks are something that we will probably sell later at about $40 each and this would not be with particularly good margins for us to be honest. So it's something we are going to re-look at toward the end of the year.

We are still trying to work out if people will pay for this option. The raw material is about 25 times more expensive. We have been trying to negotiate the pricing structure down so it's more affordable but at this stage it's the cost of the raw material that we are struggling with.

So we would have to absorb some of the cost and then also onforward some of the cost to do it but the high temp resistant tanks are something that we will probably sell later at about $40 each and this would not be with particularly good margins for us to be honest. So it's something we are going to re-look at toward the end of the year.
Thanks for the update, for what it's worth I think $40 or $50 is quite reasonable, my local shop charges that for a standard HDPE screw top fermenter so for similar money I'd go for the conical every time, others may have a different view of course. cheers G

Thanks for the update, for what it's worth I think $40 or $50 is quite reasonable, my local shop charges that for a standard HDPE screw top fermenter so for similar money I'd go for the conical every time, others may have a different view of course. cheers G

I should probably clarify this point. The 27L kit with standard tank will be $129 but the high temperature upgrade tank would be about $40-$50 as an upgrade. So you would still need to get the $129 base kit first.

I was under the impression that high temp tolerance was one of the key selling points of the Fermzilla.

@KegLand-com-au can you outline the advantages of the Fermzilla model available in a few weeks vs the fermentasauras gen 1?

I was under the impression that high temp tolerance was one of the key selling points of the Fermzilla.

@KegLand-com-au can you outline the advantages of the Fermzilla model available in a few weeks vs the fermentasauras gen 1?

Advantages of the FermZilla
1. The valve is far more reliable and doesn't have the leaky issues
2. The dump valve is more than double the diameter and doesn't have blockages like the previous model. This is particularly important when using more than 50 grams of hops (which seems to be half the beers that people make these days)
3. The opening at the top is large enough so even people with large hands can get hands in. You can also fit your arm in for cleaning if needs be.
4. The lid has several options for upgrades, will be cheaper to convert with ball lock posts and also better design where the airlock is attached.
5. The stand has been improved significantly
6. The collection container has been improved a lot with the ability to purge, dose, carbonate etc through the collection container.
7. Cone geometry has been improved so it doesn't get stuff stuck on the side of the cone as much as the older model.
8. Better clarity in the fermenter body
9. Higher burst pressures on the actual fermenter itself
10. Improved handle design on the neck of the fermenter making it easier to pick up an manoeuvre.
11. Height made more compact making it easier to fit into fermenting fridges. This is particularly important for the 55L model.
12. The size of the 27L is more suitable to single batch customers. Previously the 35L size was a strange size as it meant too much head space in the top making it hard to evacuate this space if you had to open the lid for some reason. Then Then the size was not really suitable for double batch which is why we made the 55L.
13. The insulated jacket design has been improved to make it mush easier to use.
14. Chemical resistance. The new design has significantly improved chemical resistance. Previously if you accidentally mixed your StellarSan too strong it can cause a mild chemical attack to the fermenter

So I would say the FermZilla has a number of improvements as well as the High Temperature tanks that will be available at a later stage.

I should probably clarify this point. The 27L kit with standard tank will be $129 but the high temperature upgrade tank would be about $40-$50 as an upgrade. So you would still need to get the $129 base kit first.
Thanks Kee, yes that was my understanding, although when you have the high temp fermenters in stock perhaps you could offer the option of the standard kit for $129 or a high temp kit for $179 (or whatever it turns out to be) cheers G

Hi KL i have just purchased 2 kegmenters the brewzilla and the digiboil from you guys i was wondering if i should run all 4 through a passivation cycle before i start brewing and fermenting ect ect

Cheers guys

Hi KL i have just purchased 2 kegmenters the brewzilla and the digiboil from you guys i was wondering if i should run all 4 through a passivation cycle before i start brewing and fermenting ect ect

Cheers guys

It's probably not necessary for the Kegmenters as these are already treated in an electrolysis acid bath.

The BrewZilla and Digiboil units it's not possible to immerse these due to the cast elements and also the electronics in them so we can't use the same process. So it's a good idea to pacify them these. You can use citric acid or various other acid treatments but the Stellarsan Sanitiser is on special at the moment and it's pretty useful to have around.

@KegLand-com-au how about making that collection bottle with a 1.5" tri clover instead of the threads? I'd buy it! Need something better for my current conicals. There's literally nothing on the market except for those bulky arse sight glasses or the adapters for mason jars which can be quite the pain.

Back