Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe add the stone and line to the gas post on the corny? It would still work as a dispenser, no? The beer should be pretty clear in the keg and therefore not likely to clog.
You probably could, but the idea of the carbonation lid is that you only need to buy one lid to carbonate all your beers. Your suggestion would require one for every keg.

Using existing lids, you'd only be buying the diffusion stone. You can carbonate 4 kegs ($6.50/stone) all at once with some change left over.

That's if it's ok to leave the diffusion stone in the beer for the whole time, which I've not heard anyone tried before.

How long does this take to carbonate a keg at serving pressure?

https://www.kegland.com.au/carbonation-keg-lid-with-2-micron-diffusion-stone.html

Presume the oxygen you'd let in when swapping over the lids isnt significant in the scheme of things?

Hey Paulos,
This is not a direct answer.. but
I bought one of these recently and had the psi turned up too high. It scrubbed the hop aroma. So your idea on keeping it at serving pressure is solid. A week should do it.

Hi guys, just some info re: Stellar Soda. I rewatched the video and read the label multiple times, but there were two extremely important safety messages missing.
1 Never add water to dry product, it will cause an exothermic reaction and can explode! Even spillages of dried powder should never be washed away. Always add chemical to water! Not water to Chemical!
2 the water must be cold water! Never add Caustic to hot water! As caustic is added the temperature rises, in extreme circumstances this temperature can be over 100 degrees C! So add it cold and then heat the solution up!
I know anyone who worked in the brewing, beverage and food processing industries would know this, others may not and the SDS does not highlight these warnings.
We actually banned powdered 100% Caustic years ago where I used to work, too dangerous for casuals to use!
I did a Porter today (trying out the new 1/2 inch valve and bazooka screen) and Stellar Soda did a fantastic job, now just rinsing with Stellar Oxy. And then phosphoric acid wash. We were always taught that powdered chemicals were good for scourering burn on off lines, inside pumps etc (sought of why we were a bit sad about the powdered caustic ban).
Anyway just thought an info sheet should be included with this product!
Cheers

Last edited:
Hi guys, just some info re: Stellar Soda. I rewatched the video and read the label multiple times, but there were two extremely important safety messages missing.
1 Never add water to dry product, it will cause an exothermic reaction and can explode! Even spillages of dried powder should never be washed away. Always add chemical to water! Not water to Chemical!
2 the water must be cold water! Never add Caustic to hot water! As caustic is added the temperature rises, in extreme circumstances this temperature can be over 100 degrees C! So add it cold and then heat the solution up!
I know anyone who worked in the brewing, beverage and food processing industries would know this, others may not and the SDS does not highlight these warnings.
We actually banned powdered 100% Caustic years ago where I used to work, too dangerous for casuals to use!
I did a Porter today (trying out the new 1/2 inch valve and bazooka screen) and Stellar Soda did a fantastic job, now just rinsing with Stellar Oxy. And then phosphoric acid wash. We were always taught that powdered chemicals were good for scourering burn on off lines, inside pumps etc (sought of why we were a bit sad about the powdered caustic ban).
Anyway just thought an info sheet should be included with this product!
Cheers

Thanks for that. That's a fair point. We will revise our packaging. For most customers caustic really shouldn't be necessary. Is there a reason you don't use this:
https://www.kegland.com.au/stellarc...ewery-cleaner-beer-line-cleaner-keg-wash.html

I really think this is the best product to go for. It's safe, easy to use, works great. It's a bit more expensive than Caustic but it's much cheaper than PBW from Five Star Chemicals.

Thanks for that. That's a fair point. We will revise our packaging. For most customers caustic really shouldn't be necessary. Is there a reason you don't use this:
https://www.kegland.com.au/stellarc...ewery-cleaner-beer-line-cleaner-keg-wash.html

I really think this is the best product to go for. It's safe, easy to use, works great. It's a bit more expensive than Caustic but it's much cheaper than PBW from Five Star Chemicals.
I agree totally with all your points! And normally would use the other stuff. I just wanted to use something different this time!
Cheers

Attachments

• ADDC823B-EE49-4223-95A5-AD31DA3FA940.jpeg
    ADDC823B-EE49-4223-95A5-AD31DA3FA940.jpeg
    387.8 KB · Views: 206
Lauter helix fitted! Can’t wait to try it

I would be interested to know how you go. We have found that they block quite fast as soon as you add more than about 40 grams of hops in a 20L batch.

If your kettle fits this false bottom this works really well for large amounts of hops:
https://www.kegland.com.au/robobrew-35l-gen3-false-bottom.html

We have lots of people using the BrewZilla/Robobrew units and this false bottom still works well and doesn't seem to block even with 100grams or more of hops in a 20l batch or more.

With that said some customers seem to like the helix, it's just not my favourite solution.

I would be interested to know how you go. We have found that they block quite fast as soon as you add more than about 40 grams of hops in a 20L batch.

If your kettle fits this false bottom this works really well for large amounts of hops:
https://www.kegland.com.au/robobrew-35l-gen3-false-bottom.html

We have lots of people using the BrewZilla/Robobrew units and this false bottom still works well and doesn't seem to block even with 100grams or more of hops in a 20l batch or more.

With that said some customers seem to like the helix, it's just not my favourite solution.
I’ve heard that too, there is a lot of noise on the Advanced Grainfather group re: the false bottom (which I ordered from you guys) and I did a trial last week using it and a bazooka screen - it work very well indeed!
A little too well, the pump wasn’t getting enough flow during the mash - sometimes. So the next trial will be the helix, helix with the false bottom!
David Heath from Norway is all experimenting using the false bottom as well!
The Camlocks fitted with no dramas (other than having to use thread sealant) and the 1/2 inch valve is great!
So cheers guys!

Back