Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for letting us know. We will look into that. At the moment we have a semi-automatic weighing machine. The machine is generally pretty good but due to variations in the process we sell the product with packing tolerance of +/- 10%. I think if we upgrade our machinery we might be able to decrease the tolerance to +/- 5% in future. Thanks for brining this to our attention though. It's an area we could improve on.

Better get yourself some certified scales quickly @KegLand-com-au

A little snippet from Dept of Industry Innovation and science:
What are the benefits of using approved and verified equipment?
If you use approved and verified equipment, some of the benefits for you include:
  • satisfying your customers by accurately filling orders
  • avoiding fines of up to $170,000 per offence
  • saving money by not unintentionally giving away product.
If your scales are off by up to 10% you should be setting them to put 10% more into the bags so nobody feels ripped off and you are not breaking trade laws.
If you advise the bags may contain more than the amount shown there's less chance of upsetting people and perhaps them advising the authorities.

What is the ETA on the gauge guard for the MK4 reg's? I can't see them on the website currently.

Hi,
I have a few questions regarding your intertaps.

1. What is the max thickness for the tower material that the SS intertap short shank can be fitted to?
2. Your website says there is no stock of the SS intertap tap, do you know when this will be in stock again?

Thanks

This has nothing to do with the SS Intertap tap itself. It's got more to do with the shank. The short shanks that we sell have plastic spacers and if you use the included plastic convex and concave spacers you will be be able to go through a font with wall thickness of about 2-3mm. You could potentially remove these plastic spacers and make your own thinner spacers if you really wanted to.

With regards to the Intertap SS taps we did just get more in stock but due to the number of people that were waiting they are almost sold out again. We get another large shipment on 7th Jan. Sorry about the wait.

I've done that and received a prompt reply from Oliver. A replacement kegmenter is on it's way and I also have a postage label so that I can return the faulty one.

Ok great. Let us know if you need any further assistance.

I think instead of getting fingers into too many pies moving, into the grain and hop territory, leave something for the LHBS to sell. It didn't escape my notice also that not only was the picture of the helix on your website lifted from the oppositions site, but until recently even the product description was lifted from their site, complete with grammatical errors!
When are the Helix due in by the way? :)
what do you think they are, if not a local home brew shop? o_O

kegland, please also respond to this hops nonsense - i'm also out until fixed. Last time a shop gave me 10% less hops was the last time i bought hops there...

I received an email saying you will be open for online orders and sending them over the Christmas period, but does that include pick ups?

On the public holidays we will not have pickups available yet. So no pickups will be available on 25th Dec, 26th Dec, 1st Jan. Pickups on all other days will be available from Monday to Friday (am til 5pm).

As most of our customer service staff will be away during this period we will not have any customer service during this period.

So reading this pretty much makes me absolutely not want to purchase any hops from you guys. +/-10%?? That's a lot. If I'm buying a specific amount of something and it's a crap shoot as to whether I actually get that much or not (even if there is a chance that I get over that amount instead of under), I'm out...just something for you guys to think about

That's a fair comment. We will always have some error in the packing process. If we were able to reduce our error margin down to +/- 5% would you find this to be an acceptable margin? How accurate would it need to be in order for you to be happy with the packing tolerances.

That's a fair comment. We will always have some error in the packing process. If we were able to reduce our error margin down to +/- 5% would you find this to be an acceptable margin? How accurate would it need to be in order for you to be happy with the packing tolerances.
Acceptable would be no less than what is advertised for sale, if the bag is 100g I expect 100g no less, it is illegal to do so otherwise.

Errmm I'm pretty sure its illegal to sell products that weigh less than the advertised amount: https://www.business.gov.au/product...t-labelling/australias-trade-measurement-laws

At the very least I would have thought some sort of reimbursement might have been in order no?

Thanks for that. As you can see from our website we advertise that the weight is +/- 10% which is the tolerance that the product is packed within. So I guess from that perspective we feel that it's advertised correctly as no bag of hops from us has less than 90grams and no more than 110grams.

If we were able to reduce our error margin down to +/- 5% would you find this to be an acceptable margin?
No, it should be +5% as a minimum and zero tolerance for under. I'll continue to buy hardware from you guys but after the wishy-washy AA%'s and then the underweight bags I got it would take some serious reassurances before I buy hops from Kegland again..

Agree with all above.
Under weight, with or without a disclaimer, is not acceptable.
AA% seems to be something other suppliers can produce accurately, I suggest you do the same.

Waste of time selling something if you aren't doing it properly.

I think instead of getting fingers into too many pies moving, into the grain and hop territory, leave something for the LHBS to sell. It didn't escape my notice also that not only was the picture of the helix on your website lifted from the oppositions site, but until recently even the product description was lifted from their site, complete with grammatical errors!
When are the Helix due in by the way? :)

We have spent quite a lot of money on an automated grain weighing and dispensing machine. As far as we are aware it will be the first and only automatic grain weighing machine in Australia if not the world. As we have spent quite a lot of money and several months on this level of automation I think it would be difficult for us to forgo this capital investment now. If however enough customers feel strongly that we should not sell grain and hops then we can most certainly get out of this area but the main reason we got into grain and hops is because customers were asking us for it.

With regards to these helix coils:
https://www.kegland.com.au/helix-coil-and-tee.html

As far as I am aware the photos here are photos that we have taken on our own camera. The description on this product comes from the supplier and it's not something that we wrote. I would imagine that other competitors might also use the same description from the same supplier if they are getting these from the same place.

Agreed... I weigh everything that comes in, online or lbhs and have never had an issue.. Some of my recipes just happen to need 100g hops, i purchase 100g which i trust equal 100g.. Cheeky Peak, Daves, Hop & Grain, Random ebay sellers etc, no issue. 10%? I would be wanting to make that more like 1%, if that

Agree with all above.
Under weight, with or without a disclaimer, is not acceptable.
AA% seems to be something other suppliers can produce accurately, I suggest you do the same.

Waste of time selling something if you aren't doing it properly.

Perhaps it would be a good idea if we show you the specification sheet that we get from our suppliers. Bintani are one of the largest suppliers to the home brew industry supplying many home brew stores and craft breweries in Australia. If you look below this is what we see on the wholesale price list that is issued to us:
Capture.JPG

As you can see we are purchasing hops that have a range of AA%. Some of them publish a range and some publish a specific figure. As we do not grow or process hops ourselves we can only pass on the information that we get from our suppliers that you can see above. If you were in our shoes and your suppliers issue you a AA% range what would you do in our position? I guess some home brew stores might just choose a number in between this range but this doesn't seem like a good idea to us.

Hey @KegLand-com-au,

You should put a ON SALE section onto your website. Just noticed that your Kegerator packages are on an xmas sale, but there's no news of that on your facebook account or on here.

Also, my wife is an author, so if you would ever like someone to be your editor for the website (you do need one), send me a PM. Can give you a good deal.

Thanks for that. This is a good idea. I will talk to our web designer about this. We are not very good at marketing and this has never been our strong point so these types of suggestions are definitely helpful for us. Thanks.

In a later post you mention marketing not being your strong suit. Maybe so!

You seem to be doing the rest pretty well.

But you can't short change your customers by 5-10% just because thats how your machine works, even if you do disclose the possibility. Apart from being illegal it is also poor marketing.

I dont know how thin your margins are on grain and hops but possibly you should set the machine to deliver +5% if you have +/-5% tolerance to deliver, at a minimum, what your customers are paying for and possibly a bit more, thereby generating a bit of goodwill and probably repeat sales.

Keep up the good work. ....and where is the Fermentasaurus 2? :bigcheers:

Thanks for that. As you can see from our website we advertise that the weight is +/- 10% which is the tolerance that the product is packed within. So I guess from that perspective we feel that it's advertised correctly as no bag of hops from us has less than 90grams and no more than 110grams.
it's a problem if you're buying for a recipe... if you need 100g and only get 90 (or 40/35), that sucks...

Perhaps it would be a good idea if we show you the specification sheet that we get from our suppliers. Bintani are one of the largest suppliers to the home brew industry supplying many home brew stores and craft breweries in Australia. If you look below this is what we see on the wholesale price list that is issued to us:
Capture.JPG

As you can see we are purchasing hops that have a range of AA%. Some of them publish a range and some publish a specific figure. As we do not grow or process hops ourselves we can only pass on the information that we get from our suppliers that you can see above. If you were in our shoes and your suppliers issue you a AA% range what would you do in our position? I guess some home brew stores might just choose a number in between this range but this doesn't seem like a good idea to us.
I think the AA column on the price list is the year to year crop variance. If you take a look at the label on the vac packs you receive from Bintani it has the exact AA for that particular year/crop.

Back