Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A while back there was stirrings about a Kegasaurus 20/30/50L polymer kegs with a commercial A-type valve.
https://www.beerandbrewer.com/oxebar-updates-one-way-keg-technology/
Are these still a going concern? Did the project ever get off the ground?
Are there any available for purchase?

Any plans to produce “commercial” kegs (A-type, S-type valves) for the home brewer market? I’d like the option of a 30L keg.

Thanks in advance

...Fermenting at 20°c, so the fermentor liquid would be higher than that.

My fermentor ATM has the probe on the side, insulated as is standard. And the liquid is 1°c higher when I checked it this morning.

Sure I could adjust my settings and set it to 1°c lower than I aim for, but who's to say it would always be a 1°c difference with every yeast. Then when it's finished fermenting would it still be 1°c higher.

The whole point of having temp control is to have temp control, I wouldn't not use temp control with any yeast... Especially with summer coming up...

My point was that if you are pressure fermenting, the temperature difference is not as critical due to the higher pressures suppressing ester production.

Some people are reporting the clean fermentation of ales at 26c at 1 bar, so its plausible that the difference between 20c and 21c at pressure is negligible.

The actual temperature is not really that important, it's the results that count. If you are producing consistent and desirable results, the exact temperature doesn't really matter. Temperature stability becomes the real benefit of temperature controlled fermentation.

If you are brewing estery styles like Belgians or Wheats then you probably wouldn't be pressure fermenting and accurate temperature becomes a lot more important, especially for yeast strains that produce different esters in different, relatively narrow temp ranges.

Good point, didn't really know about the ester reduction in pressurised fermention.
Also, all you other points are sound :).

Also, I'm glad you didn't take offence to my post (unless you did) as I re-read it this morning and I came across as a dick :/.

Good point, didn't really know about the ester reduction in pressurised fermention.
Also, all you other points are sound :).

Also, I'm glad you didn't take offence to my post (unless you did) as I re-read it this morning and I came across as a dick :/.

all good mate :cheers:

I've got a Intertap FC model for my portable setup, and with the tap connected to the disconnect with an mfl adapter it's a pretty crap pour. Lots of head even at a slow flow rate. Hopefully this disconnect will solve that problem with a non FC tap.

Any idea of an ETA for these?

Yes I think it will make a big difference. They should be available in about 3-4 weeks.

Awesome timing, I was about to pull the trigger on 6 of those FC taps, might hold off and get 6 standard intertaps and 6 of these. Any idea on when these will become in stock for purchase? Cheers

Yeah i recon that's the better option in my opinion.

How long before we see grain bill maker and recipe maker up and running?

This is getting closer. All the CAD for the designs is pretty much done and the software for the weighing machine is mostly done. Next week we will start actually building the hoppers for the automatic weigh machine.

Hops was all packaged over the past few days and these will go up online in about 1 week. If the grain weigh machine is working fine then I think we will have the grain up on the website 3-4 weeks.

A while back there was stirrings about a Kegasaurus 20/30/50L polymer kegs with a commercial A-type valve.
https://www.beerandbrewer.com/oxebar-updates-one-way-keg-technology/
Are these still a going concern? Did the project ever get off the ground?
Are there any available for purchase?

Any plans to produce “commercial” kegs (A-type, S-type valves) for the home brewer market? I’d like the option of a 30L keg.

Thanks in advance

As the excise changes have come into place this has unfortunately made the 50L kegs not very economical to produce and in futhre the 20L kegs will most likely be the most popular size. Once the Fermentasaurs 2 has been released we will designate more resources to some re-design of the 20L kegs. These will primarily be manufactured for the single use commercial market however I am sure some of the used kegs will end up getting used by thrifty home brewers. With the commercial kegs we are re-designing the valve for the a-type and d-type but the s-type probably will not be manufactured for some time. In future the 20L kegs will probably be sold for about AUD$10(by the pallet load) and the 30L kegs will sell for about $17. So actually the 20L kegs will have cheaper price per L and therefore the 30L ones will also probably loose their popularity.

Hi KL, what is the diameter of the new fermentasaurus? I've checked the PDF and it's the only dimension that's missing, cheers.

Hi KL, what is the diameter of the new fermentasaurus? I've checked the PDF and it's the only dimension that's missing, cheers.
352 for the actual plastic, and 393 for the frame, as shown on the RHS of the picture. The circle with a bar through means "diameter".

@KegLand-com-au As this question has been asked before (in this very thread), perhaps it would be worth adding an explicit table of dimensions somewhere in the PDF. It would assist people who don't understand what the symbols on the engineering drawings mean.

352 for the actual plastic, and 393 for the frame, as shown on the RHS of the picture. The circle with a bar through means "diameter".

@KegLand-com-au As this question has been asked before (in this very thread), perhaps it would be worth adding an explicit table of dimensions somewhere in the PDF. It would assist people who don't understand what the symbols on the engineering drawings mean.
DUH! thanks for that, I can usualy read drawings but missed that one, must be the old timers kicking in, and yes a "simple" dimensions addition to the drawing would be an excellent idea. Cheers G

DUH! thanks for that, I can usualy read drawings but missed that one, must be the old timers kicking in, and yes a "simple" dimensions addition to the drawing would be an excellent idea. Cheers G
You know what cures old timers? Drinking and making your own beer :cheers:!

Lol I called them up about this exact thing this morning

We are still making very small adjustments to the sizes so they might change a little. But with that said the widest past of the stainless frame at the moment is 400mm diameter so if you are getting a fridge specifically for these it's best if you make sure you have at least 430mm depth and width.

Yes that's fair enough. I will talk to the others about this. We are making the manual for these and I think a better drawing in the manual with more obvious dimensions is probably a good idea.

I recently got a triple tap kegerator and was setting it up today. I tried to attach the regulator to the CO2 bottle, with the outlet connected to some line and a gas disconnect. The regulator knob was screwed all the way off. When I open the gas bottle valve the outlet pressure shoots way up and the regulator relief valve continuously pops open. Is this faulty, or have I made some rookie error?

@KegLand-com-au What is your warranty for kegerators? i think the compressor on my 2 tap system has died.

The thing is barely 6 months old.

Edit*** Phew... false alarm, being that it was a warmer day in Adelaide it must have been working flat out, the sides were hot to the touch and went up to 9°C. After about half an hour the compressor kicked in again and now everything is sweet as.

As it's currently out in the man cave/ shed i may have to bring it inside before summer really kicks off.

Last edited:
Back