Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@KegLand-com-au Have you got any more details on the sizing of the fermenting fridges or approximate pricing?

I bought your 58L kegmenter to go with my incoming 65L Robobrew but it won't fit in my current fermenting fridge.

I am looking at other options now but would like an idea of what you are going to offer.

We have made some slight increases to the height of the Fermentasaurus 50L model which is now a 55L model and also made the collection container larger. As a result we have had to change the fermenting fridge dimensions also. So the Fermenting fridge is now a bit larger than previously expected and these changes have also delayed the completion of this product. I think the fermenting fridge will be between $400-600 but not sure of the exact price yet as we are still making changes to the design of this product. Definitely one thing I can say for sure is it will definitely fit the Kegmenters of both sizes that we sell. So even if you have the 58L model it will fit fine.

The internal height clearance in the fridge will be about 1.2meters and the floor space will be about 45cm x 45cm.

@KegLand-com-au do you have a fitting to connect your in-line regulator KL02172 to a sodastream cylinder adapter KL07290. It would be good to set up the in-line reg to a set pressure and not have to worry about gauges getting damaged when transporting and knobs being turned to wrong settings. Thanks.

You really would not want to join these two together. KL02172 is a low pressure device only suitable as a secondary regulator. This deluxe sodastream adaptor is for high pressure gas coming directly from the gas cylinder so it would blow up the KL02172 and that is why they are not made to couple directly to each other.

@KegLand-com-au do you have a fitting to connect your in-line regulator KL02172 to a sodastream cylinder adapter KL07290. It would be good to set up the in-line reg to a set pressure and not have to worry about gauges getting damaged when transporting and knobs being turned to wrong settings. Thanks.

If you want a regulator that will do the job then I would use this one:
https://www.kegland.com.au/mini-all-in-one-regulator-charger-with-prv.html

This has a gauge that is build into the side of the unit and it's much more robust than the other cheaper regulated co2 charger. It's a bit more expensive but they work well.

Thanks for that, I thought it was too simple an idea.

correct.
@KegLand-com-au thinking about getting these floating diptubes for my Kegmenters, but what temperature can the hose tolerate?

The silicone in the dip tube can tolerate over 180C. The stainless ball float I don't have data on this unfortunately but I am confident they can go at least up to 100C or higher as they are made from 304 stainless.

I am thinking of getting the kegmenter but was wondering about adding a thermowell for better temp control. Is it really as simple as drilling a hole in the kegmenter and fitting the thermowell? Apart from working out the height location, is there anything else I need to consider when doing it?

It's really that simple. I would drill the hold just below the weld seam in the middle of the Kegmenter.

I would also recommend using a stepped drill bit. We will probably have these available on the website in about 4 weeks time.

The thermowell I would get would be this one:
https://www.kegland.com.au/3-8-inch-bsp-thread-weldless-thermowell.html

We are going to eventually get some inexpensive silicon digital temp display that will go onto these. (basically the same as the SS brewtech ones) but a lot better value.

Also, though you guys might be interested in this product. Eventually this will become our recommended flow control device:

https://www.kegland.com.au/flow-control-ball-lock-disconnect-flow-restrictor.html

We have only just finished this simple product. It's a bit more expensive that a normal stainless steel ball lock disconnect but it's cheaper than purchasing a stainless ball lock disconnect and a more expensive flow control tap.

It also works far better than flow control taps too so from that perspective it's really the best option too. Would be keen to see what you guys think of this device.

Also, though you guys might be interested in this product. Eventually this will become our recommended flow control device:

https://www.kegland.com.au/flow-control-ball-lock-disconnect-flow-restrictor.html

We have only just finished this simple product. It's a bit more expensive that a normal stainless steel ball lock disconnect but it's cheaper than purchasing a stainless ball lock disconnect and a more expensive flow control tap.

It also works far better than flow control taps too so from that perspective it's really the best option too. Would be keen to see what you guys think of this device.

I've got a Intertap FC model for my portable setup, and with the tap connected to the disconnect with an mfl adapter it's a pretty crap pour. Lots of head even at a slow flow rate. Hopefully this disconnect will solve that problem with a non FC tap.

Any idea of an ETA for these?

I am very interested in the FC disconnect. I currently have the intertap FC Tap on my minikeg and it is difficult to use. There seems to be two stages to the taps movement. When the flow control is only open a small amount the tap only comes forward 90% of its full draw. As I open the flow control more the handle comes forward that last 10% and it result in beer gushing out. I don't know if this is specific to my intertap or if it's an issue with them generally.

Last edited:
when using a thermowell in a kegmenter, should some thermally conductive compound be used in the well with the thermistor/thermocouple?

this is not something we have planned at the moment. we will have duotight with 1/4male thread to 8mm push in on the other side available then also have 8mm ball valve duotight fittings separately. So you would be able to do it in two pieces.

We have recently spent quite a lot of money on all the injection molded tooling for a reasonable range of duotight fittings. they seem to be selling really well at the moment so if we continue to see good sales we will probably extend the range so we could consider this new part.

Also any plans for 10mm OD John Guest to FFL fittings?

If adding a thermowell (weldless) as mentioned above to a Kegmenter. Would this mean that you would advise against pressurising the vessel? Either for fermenting or carbonation.

Awesome timing, I was about to pull the trigger on 6 of those FC taps, might hold off and get 6 standard intertaps and 6 of these. Any idea on when these will become in stock for purchase? Cheers

If adding a thermowell (weldless) as mentioned above to a Kegmenter. Would this mean that you would advise against pressurising the vessel? Either for fermenting or carbonation.
Well at 15psi or under I'm sure a well fitted thermowell wouldn't cause an issue even if KL say it's not suggested.
I accidentally pressurised a keg with thermowell to 35psi once and it didn't leak at all.

Just my 2c - not affiliated in any way.

Well at 15psi or under I'm sure a well fitted thermowell wouldn't cause an issue even if KL say it's not suggested.
I accidentally pressurised a keg with thermowell to 35psi once and it didn't leak at all.

Just my 2c - not affiliated in any way.

I agree, I don't think it will be an issue. It certainly wont be a safety issue as the KL thermowells bolt from the outside and I doubt they would leak at fermentation pressures. They would likely handle any pressure you really need from a kegmenter.

This being said. I'm not convinced a kegmenter needs a thermowell, at least if pressure fermenting. You may not need temp control at all for ales? I haven't been game to try, I have been fermenting at 20c.

I agree, I don't think it will be an issue. It certainly wont be a safety issue as the KL thermowells bolt from the outside and I doubt they would leak at fermentation pressures. They would likely handle any pressure you really need from a kegmenter.

This being said. I'm not convinced a kegmenter needs a thermowell, at least if pressure fermenting. You may not need temp control at all for ales? I haven't been game to try, I have been fermenting at 20c.

...Fermenting at 20°c, so the fermentor liquid would be higher than that.

My fermentor ATM has the probe on the side, insulated as is standard. And the liquid is 1°c higher when I checked it this morning.

Sure I could adjust my settings and set it to 1°c lower than I aim for, but who's to say it would always be a 1°c difference with every yeast. Then when it's finished fermenting would it still be 1°c higher.

The whole point of having temp control is to have temp control, I wouldn't not use temp control with any yeast... Especially with summer coming up...

Back