Keggle Tap Drill Bit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

losp

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I bought some weld-less tap fittings from the green shed. I need to frill a hole that is 15 mm in diameter ( i think thats how the thread is measured) but i dont have any drill bits that big, or any drill bits that go through 5mm of aluminium. what should i do? I have spade bits but i am pretty sure as heck, they wont get through it! Any suggestions? I need it done for two 40L pots!
Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you need to go back to the hardware shop and buy a reduced shank 15mm drill bit. Or if your keen use your biggest bit and file it out to the size that you need.

I'm going to be faced with the same problem in a week or two. I was looking at piloting out with as large as a bit as I have/will fit, then trying to force a spade bit through. Aluminium is pretty manageable and I could possibly pre-score the area using a dremel attachment first.

The above option of a reduced shank bit actually sounds like a much better idea than my half arsed option. I may re-consider.

Aluminium is pretty easy to handle.
One way to cut the hole is to (and may seem a little rough but works well) scribe/mark out the hole required and then drill a series small of holes (say a 3-4mm drill bit) around the the inside of the circle. You can then carefully wriggle the drill bit cutting what is left from hole to hole. With the hole roughly cut you can then file it smooth and round using a round/rat tail file. I have used this method numerous times on many applications with good success. Only took about 20min on my kettle.

Cheers
Gavo.

The proper bit would be the best way for sure. Personally, I'd probably bodge it up by drilling with the biggest bit I had and then grinding/filing/sanding it out with the dremel.

If you are drilling a hole into steel definitely don't use a spade bit. Either purchase a 15mm/imperial equivelent drill, and slowly step up to this size with your smaller drill bits heaps of cutting oil. Or maybe try a holesaw, again with heaps of cutting oil.

Hey guys,
I bought some weld-less tap fittings from the green shed. I need to frill a hole that is 15 mm in diameter ( i think thats how the thread is measured) but i dont have any drill bits that big, or any drill bits that go through 5mm of aluminium. what should i do? I have spade bits but i am pretty sure as heck, they wont get through it! Any suggestions? I need it done for two 40L pots!
Thanks in advance.

Hey Losp,

I had the same drama when I did my first keggle weldless tap... I looked at metal hole saw's a screw me sideways they are expensive!!

I got the biggest drill bit I had, drew a circle around the shank [size needed] and drilled a hole in the centre. Then I just 'chewed' out as much using the end of the drill bit, not the side, got as close as I could and finished with a file! The hole wasn't exactly round but fitted tap, and after a lot of thread tape and a bit of re-fitting - she is yet to leak to this day! 37 BIABS and now a HLT!.... So, don't stress.

I have since had to drill 5 holes the same size, 2 taps on keg fridge, tap on tun, MM Them. on tun and tap on new kettle... I was telling a mate at work about 'chewing' a hole in my keggle for a weldless tap and he says "You should have said, I have a set of metal hole saws!" - Which I used for these 5. If I had of known I will be drilling the same size hole all these times I would of bought the hole saw in the first place.... anyway, ramble ramble.

Splades will NOT work.

I hope this helps and you get it sorted.

Otherwise, as said, ask around!! You never know who can help!

Cheers

Go to your local hardware and get one of these, its a step drill bit. I used one and drilled out a keggle with no issues.

step_drill_bit.jpg

Have to go to the hardware to get a tap so might as well pick up one of those too.

Hey guys,
Thanks in advance.

Just to point out, I am assuming you purchased 1/2" fittings which are called 15mm at Bunnings. 15mm doesnt refer to the overall size which is somewhere between 20-22mm IIRC so you will need that size bit. If you have a TradeTools Direct nearby get yourself a holesaw and arbour, will set you back about $15.00 for both. The arbour comes with a pilot drill so you dont need to start with a smaller bit and step up.

HTH

Sully

Get a bi-metal holesaw.
Right tool for the job.
Guarantee you will use it again after this.

Just to point out, I am assuming you purchased 1/2" fittings which are called 15mm at Bunnings. 15mm doesnt refer to the overall size which is somewhere between 20-22mm IIRC so you will need that size bit. If you have a TradeTools Direct nearby get yourself a holesaw and arbour, will set you back about $15.00 for both. The arbour comes with a pilot drill so you dont need to start with a smaller bit and step up.

HTH

Sully

19mm is the size for the job! ;)

IIRC it was about $80 for the saw and arbour, could be way off but thats my... what is it ... oh yeah, memory of it!

Anyway, as said - You WILL use it again!

+1 for step drills.

You'll forever thank yourself for buying one.

19mm is the size for the job! ;)

IIRC it was about $80 for the saw and arbour, could be way off but thats my... what is it ... oh yeah, memory of it!

Anyway, as said - You WILL use it again!

Trade Tools Direct (No Affiliation)

Arbour $10.00

Bi Metal Holesaw $5.00

So far so good, gone through SS and Ally with it no worries. Its their own branded tools but it gets the job done and if its something used only a few times and cheap enough to replace if need be. Bought Sutton in the past as well but like you say $80 :blink: .

Cheers

Mitre 10 have holesaw kits for about $13 with allsorts of sizes. Similar to the good BlueMol ones but not interchangeable with them.

I say use the largest drillbit you have and buy a round file. Thats what I did with my Keggle. Its loud and a pain in the ass, but I wasn't going to spend $40+ on a drillbit I was only going to use half a dozen times.

Spade bit seems to work OK for aluminium, need to go gently & won't do the bit a lot of good.
Ream out to size with Dremel or similar, better to spend a bit of time increasing opening size for a nice neat fit.
Good luck,
Mark

+1 on getting a step drill bit. these guys are cheap (about $20) and cut thru anything. My Green Warehouse step drill bit ($20) cut through my stainless steel pot like a hot knife through butter..

Back