Keggle Lids (for Top Cut Off)?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iralosavic

Reaction score
G'day, I'm gearing up to move to 3v and have spent hours scouring google, but can't find any ready made lids to suit my kettles.

I decided to just cut the tops straight off to make cleaning easier and to cut down on superfluous surface area... And now I realise that finding a lid that big isn't easy at all!

By my measurements I believe I need 38cm lid - manufacturers base the lid size on the size of internal diameter.

All I can find are either wok+lid combos ($40~) or scanpan wok replacement lids ($65).

I was thinking I could somehow recycle the top of the kegs, but I don't have access to welding nor a great knack for handy work, so id rather a ready made lid. Even cast iron if need be!

Any ideas or links?!

Cheers​

you could just bolt or tac weld on 3 or four tabs on the outside of the keg "lids" that will then sit over the edge of the now "boiler" keg

give both keg and lid edges a good clean up with a flapper sanding wheel...

Mate have you tried your local good Sammy's for a cheap electric wok and lid?

G'day, I'm gearing up to move to 3v and have spent hours scouring google, but can't find any ready made lids to suit my kettles.

I decided to just cut the tops straight off to make cleaning easier and to cut down on superfluous surface area... And now I realise that finding a lid that big isn't easy at all!

By my measurements I believe I need 38cm lid - manufacturers base the lid size on the size of internal diameter.

All I can find are either wok+lid combos ($40~) or scanpan wok replacement lids ($65).

I was thinking I could somehow recycle the top of the kegs, but I don't have access to welding nor a great knack for handy work, so id rather a ready made lid. Even cast iron if need be!

Any ideas or links?!

Cheers​

When I was running with the keggle I had the top cut so that the glass lid from from my $20 big w stockpot fit the keggle as well. It leaves a bit of lip on the top of the keggle, the big w lid is 31cm. Didn't cause any issues for me. Obviously if you've already cut the top this ain't going to work.

Ive got a glass target lid on my HLT, which I did a 30cm cutout in.

The lip drove me nuts tho, so I've already cut the tops off the MLT and BK kegs.

There are plenty of suppliers of 40-70L stock pots, so you think it'd be easy to find a lid for sale separately!

I have seen a lot of people use pizza pans or baking trays.

I bought my lids from House and they were approx $25.
I got the 36cm lid and it fits my twoheys keg nicely with the top cut off.

I used the tops that I had cut out from the kegs and welded tabs on the side to stop them slipping off and also a disc on the top to cover the hole where the keg connection fits.

Lid.JPG

I use a lid from a 30ltr "handy pail" bucket, you know the ones from bunnings. Also the lid from my 40ltr urn fits perfectly for mine.

I used the tops that I had cut out from the kegs and welded tabs on the side to stop them slipping off and also a disc on the top to cover the hole where the keg connection fits.

Same with a couple of mine, except I used 4 tabs. 4 tabs make them better :(

gallery_10325_462_48277.jpg

heres one i did for Albanian, nice snug fit, i think it doubles as a way to hold the bag in place

A wok lid turned upside down, and just put the handle (if it can be unscrewed and reversed) on the underside.

Unless its rediculously full, it should fit in quite nicely with the dome, and not have the large air pocket in the top if the wok lid was used the 'correct' way

Sponge

gallery_10325_462_48277.jpg

heres one i did for Albanian, nice snug fit, i think it doubles as a way to hold the bag in place

You could invert the lid (so to speak) and have the handle on the concave side. With the concave side outward you won't get so much leakage from condensation.

Cheers for the replies. The tops include the handles and rim, so I guess I'll need to cut a circle out and add some tabs. I can't see it sealing too well though.

Just to clarify, I turned the kegs on their side and just cut under the lid weld, so there's no top at all!

Deano, that cut looks a bit rough, and why haven't you polished it ? :ph34r:

Back on topic, I have the same lids as Albanian.

When I was running with the keggle I had the top cut so that the glass lid from from my $20 big w stockpot fit the keggle as well. It leaves a bit of lip on the top of the keggle, the big w lid is 31cm. Didn't cause any issues for me. Obviously if you've already cut the top this ain't going to work.

thats what i did and it worked a treat.

When you say the 40l urn lid fits, are you referring to a keg with the top cut off or with a cutout leaving a reduced opening? The crown and birko websites say their lids are 34cm, but the keg is around 38-40cm

I meant a cut out, not the whole top of the keg. It doesn't fit perfectly if that's a problem for you, you could easily measure and cut it correctly/sand it down.
The 30ltr bucket lid that I suggest in my earlier post is great tho, it's cheaper and work just as well if not better.

Ok. I thought that's what you meant. My HLT is just cutout at 30cm and a target glass lid mates up perfectly. I just got a lip seal from Clark rubber and it's airtight.

For the MLT, I wanted straight walls all the way to make stirring and cleaning easier. I ended up cutting about 1cm from the outside, leaving a very small lip which I plan to put a lip seal on. When I put a lip seal on the cutout as well it shouldn't be able to drop through. I'll post photos if I am successful!

Back