Kegging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane0

Reaction score
Hi all. New to kegging here. Just wanting to know once you transfer the wort into the keg, can you let it sit in there until you are ready to charge it with CO2 or should you charge it straight away?

Thanks in advance,

Shane.

New also, but at a minimum you should be purging the headspace of all air/oxygen.. And adding a bit of pressure so it's positive pressure against the seals

Assuming you mean beer (ie once fermentation has taken place) rather than wort (unfermentted), then yes you can leave it and carb later although a blast of CO2 to ensure its sealed up and not leaking is a good idea. Every so often I leave mine for up to a month or so before carbing up as the keezer is too small. You could prime in the keg in the mean time

Is there a reason not to add CO2 immediately? You purge O2 and prevent oxidisation, you seal the keg, you get it started on carbing.. I can't imagine why you wouldn't unless you didn't have the CO2 immediately on hand, in which case, leave it in the fermenter where there is likely a layer of CO2 produced during fermentation which is protecting your beer from oxidisation.

There's not much carbing going on at room temp. Once you cool it, the CO2 will start dissolving in the beer.

Back