Kegging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Squire

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Fairly new to brewing and just looking to get my head around a few things concerning kegging.

Firstly, what sort of cost is involved with hiring C02 bottles from BOC or someone like that? Also how often would a small tank on a one keg system need re-filling?

Secondly, what sort of minimum and maximum regulated pressures are required?

Finally, where's the best place to find a reasonably priced tap + fittings? I believe GMKenterprises maybe able to help on that one!! Ken...? :unsure:

Cheers for the help all,

JS

Can anyone help me with a ball park figure on what they pay to hire C02 cylinders?

JS

James Squire said:
Can anyone help me with a ball park figure on what they pay to hire C02 cylinders?

JS
[post="82291"][/post]​

Most of us pay about $110 a year - But I believe in Vic, you can get the steel ones for approx $12 a year - so looks like you're in luck... :)

James Squire said:
Cheers Ross,

Steel ones? From someone like BOC Gases?

JS
[post="82296"][/post]​

It's either air liquide or boc....

Ross said:
James Squire said:
Cheers Ross,

Steel ones? From someone like BOC Gases?

JS
[post="82296"][/post]​

It's either air liquide or boc....
[post="82298"][/post]​

Air Liquide Ross
JS it's worth the trip across town to Grain & Grape, and talk to them
"NO AFFILATION"

Normell

grain and grape in melbourne have a deal with airliquid that works out to $17 a year for the lease agreement and a $33 fee on a 9kg bottle or $19 on 4.5kg bottle.

Cheers Normell,

I'll have a look into it. Just on that, if I hire a bottle would that include a regulator or would i need to use my own?

JS

James Squire said:
Cheers Normell,

I'll have a look into it. Just on that, if I hire a bottle would that include a regulator or would i need to use my own?

JS
[post="82303"][/post]​

No regulator with that, you need to buy, steal, borrow your own. ;)

See GMK for a regulator, very good price. I'll order one shortly myself :)

Each "D" size bottle costs around $35.00 to refill from BOC

There is another thread, in which you can use an ex C02 Fire extinguisher if you know a firey who can refill it 4 you

Lots of options :)

Even use a sodastream bottle to dispense

Hi JS,

You'll need to buy your own reg and fittings, the air liquide deal is just for the gas bottle. It's only available through certain HB shops down here, Grain and Grape in Maidstone is one, there is also one near the corner of Burgundy St and Rosanna Rd in Eaglemont.

I got my 9kg bottle from Grain & Grape. I've had the same bottle for about 13 months and it's still going. That's for a 2 keg system and it's also used sometimes to push beer through a filter. It's hard to tell how much is left in the bottle though. When it's empty I'll weigh it and compare to a full one so I should be able to get some kind of an idea.

Thunderlips said:
I got my 9kg bottle from Grain & Grape. I've had the same bottle for about 13 months and it's still going. That's for a 2 keg system and it's also used sometimes to push beer through a filter. It's hard to tell how much is left in the bottle though. When it's empty I'll weigh it and compare to a full one so I should be able to get some kind of an idea.
[post="82335"][/post]​

The bottle may have, tare, gross & net on it, so weigh it to find out how much is left

Normell

[/quote]

The bottle may have, tare, gross & net on it, so weigh it to find out how much is left

Normell
[post="82338"][/post]​
[/quote]

Good idea Normell.
I'll have a look.

JS,

I was able to gas and dispense around 30 kegs with one 9kg gas bottle. At $17.00 rental per year its good value.

I think you can pick up the cheap steel deal from most home brew supplies. Someone already mentioned G&G, Brewers Den in Boronia do the same deal.

I have got 27 kegs from a 4.5kg jobby.

Back