Kegging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukasfab

Reaction score
on Sunday I kegged my brew and added sugar for natrual carbonation as I didn't have my co2 and reg yet

i now have them, should i be waiting for the sugar to do it thing now or can i force carb a bit?

cheers

You really should wait now. However, if you are going to force carb it now then best ensuring it remains at a cold temperature and just be aware that the keg may still over carb eventually. If this happens you can always burp it a bit but I suggest keeping a close eye on it.

It may taste a little sweeter than you would expect if you force carb it too.

You really should wait now. However, if you are going to force carb it now then best ensuring it remains at a cold temperature and just be aware that the keg may still over carb eventually. If this happens you can always burp it a bit but I suggest keeping a close eye on it.

It may taste a little sweeter than you would expect if you force carb it too.
Agree with this. Also waiting will give you the chance to notice the difference between naturally bulk carbing and force carbing next time. Worth it just to compare the different result you get.

Horse has bolted so leave it to naturally carbonate. Upside is that you now have an incentive to brew another batch to use you newly acquired Co2 and reg on.

Have you had any build up of CO2 yet?
I've had problems doing natural carbonation in kegs due to the lid not sealing properly, with CO2 bottle it's not a problem as the instant pressure from it seals the lid instantly.
Just check by opening the blow off valve a little to see if any pressure have build up inside.
If no pressure then force carb, otherwise leave it to carbonate naturally.

I would definitely bring the keg up pressure, they require pressure to seal. Then during natural carbonation you can release a bit of pressure if it builds up too much. However, I would wait until natural carbonation is finished, leave it a few days to stabilise (head pressure/ dissolved CO2) and then vent any excessive.

I force carbonate all my beer it's just so convenient but having said that I do intend on aquiring a 50L keg so I can finish fermentation off in it under pressure which is natural carbonation with a different twist.

Steve

thanks guys,

i checked this morning by releasing the relief valve slightly and there seemed to be heaps of carbonation, hope i dont have an infection :unsure:

i cleaned the keg out with napisan, siphoned out through dip tube and gas tube by turning upside down, rinsed out then same with starsan

i have another waiting to go into another keg which I will force carb

can I connect to tap line while its warm to taste the beer?

Tried and tastes fine

Am I right in saying when warm it would taste more carbonated then it really is?
Still tasted little sweet so probably should leave it for a week

Latest posts

Back