Kegging!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobjF

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have just started brewing again after a year and a half away and realized that one of the main reasons I stopped was because I hated bottling and all the cleaning and messing around that comes with it. It's because of this I really want to start kegging my beer but know nothing about it or where to start. I have a good fridge that's big enough to turn into a keg fridge but don't know if I'm better off buying a system already to go or building one myself and if I would save much money doing it myself. I'm only looking at a two tap set up at the moment. Any info on good places to buy kegs or equipment most welcome and any problems to look out for? Any info most welcome thanks.

Hi guys. I have just started brewing again after a year and a half away and realized that one of the main reasons I stopped was because I hated bottling and all the cleaning and messing around that comes with it. It's because of this I really want to start kegging my beer but know nothing about it or where to start. I have a good fridge that's big enough to turn into a keg fridge but don't know if I'm better off buying a system already to go or building one myself and if I would save much money doing it myself. I'm only looking at a two tap set up at the moment. Any info on good places to buy kegs or equipment most welcome and any problems to look out for? Any info most welcome thanks.

mate ya will love ya beer so much more once ya start kegging i have been doing it for a few months now i have a bought porpose built kegerator cause i couldnt be fagged mucking around with stuff got mine off ebay for 450$ with a 2 tap fontplus $200 for a gas bottle +ya kegs at roughtly $80 and then there are bits and peices beer tastes fukn great but when ya drinking from emya really have to keep a eye on the time good luck with ya dispensing enquiries

That's pretty much the same reason why I got kegs.
I bought all the bits & pieces for my keg setup from my LHBS.
My setup basically consists of:
* 2 cornie style kegs with ball lock posts
* 1 tap
* beer line
* 1 beer post connector
* gas line
* 1 gas post connector
* 1 gas line to threaded nut connector (so you can attach the line to the regulator)
* gas regulator
* C02 cylinder
* drip tray

Plus the metal crimps to fasten the beer/gas lines to the various connectors.

I don't rekon you can get much simpler than that ... there are many more elaborate setups than mine (you will find if you do a bit of a search on the forums).

As I live in Sydney I don't have any recommendations for stores your area, except to say give the site sponsors (at the top of the page) a go :)

I'd suggest buy a kegerator from ebay. Pull it out of the box and stick it in your lounge or whatever. Turn it on and there you go. Maybe have to screw on the tap tower. 3 or 4 screws.

I say this because being new to a keg set up this is the easiest and quickest way. Maybe years later on build your own when you have been using it and have the workings of one down pat unless you are clued up already on the working of a keg system.

My 2 pees worth.

Back