Kegging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crd0902

Reaction score
Hi all, I just got myself a kegerator setup and have been brewing in my other fridge. I've got problems with getting the temp on the kegerator down below 12 C so the fridge has Togo back and get replaced. I racked my brew to secondary ferment yesterday as it was going to take a little while for the kegerator and now my new fermenter is leaking around the tap. Second brand new fermenter that has done this to me. Last time I bottled it instead of lagering it as it was leaking. This time I'm wondering if I can just rack it to one of my kegs, gas it or burp it and let it sit at room temp until I get my fridge back. I've never used the gas or kegs or anything as yet. This was the tester brew.

I'm wondering if I can just rack it to one of my kegs, gas it or burp it and let it sit at room temp until I get my fridge back. I've never used the gas or kegs or anything as yet. This was the tester brew.

Yeah, no worries at all. The way I do it is put some co2 in the keg, let it sit, burp it, rack through the beer out tube, seal up keg, co2 in, burp, co2 in again, done.

Second brand new fermenter that has done this to me.

To me, this sounds like the tap isn't in tight enough.... or you could use some plumbers tape around the thread.

And yes, you can rack to your keg and flush the headspace with co2 to keep it mostly fresh. I do it simpler than hydroboy though - I just use a transfer hose from the fermenter tap to the bottom of the keg, and rack as smoothly as possible. Then connect up to the gas, and pull the pressure relief valve to purge the headspace. I hadn't even thought of racking through the keg posts - and if you're just setting up, this would probably require extra disconnects that you probably don't own...

Ok cool so what pressure do I start with and if I pressure how do I rack through beer out, wouldnt it blow back, what psi should I pressure it at once it's racked. Sorry but thanks

To me, this sounds like the tap isn't in tight enough.... or you could use some plumbers tape around the thread.

Yeah the taps on tight as. It was the same as the one I had a few weeks ago. Apparently the shop has been having problems. I've changed taps and fermenter still leaks

Ok cool so what pressure do I start with and if I pressure how do I rack through beer out, wouldnt it blow back, what psi should I pressure it at once it's racked. Sorry but thanks

no pressure in keg while racking, keep the lid off so you can see how full it is.

to go through the beer out requires a disconnect and some way of connecting it to your fermenter, I wouldn't worry about it just yet. Just do it with a long line to the bottom of the keg and avoid splashing.

Thanks heaps. How long can I keep the keg this way aprox. I'm doing an ale next so can put it in the big fridge about 18C. And I'll just keep making sure the keg is maintaining pressure as I haven't used them yet.

I find keg lube really helps with this.

It helps you screw the tap in further, and it helps make a seal too.

Helps when taking the tap out too ;)

PS: you should get some keg lube ;)

Thanks Stux I'll try that. I was wondering whether the little spout that stops the sediment from getting in the tap (if you know what I'm on about) is stopping it from getting a good seal as it sets the rubber back a little. I might throw it away, little sediment won't hurt. I wound the tap another half turn last night skill see how it goes this morning

Just another one, if I do have to keg it today, I don't have keg lube yet and shop is shut, can I use vasoline

Just another one, if I do have to keg it today, I don't have keg lube yet and shop is shut, can I use vasoline
Avoid petroleum based lubricants on rubber rings. If you really need a lubricant, try a water-based one like KY.

I agree.. Any water based lubricant is fine. My wife is getting paranoid however as the Lube Tube is getting lower without her knowing :)

If you don't have any water based lubricant, just moisten the seals with whatever you use as a sanitiser.

Tube from the fermenter to the bottom of the keg and avoid splashing. There's no rush in filling it up.

When full, connect gas connect and purge keg at 200Kpa. Purge it a few times. You should have a decent enough layer of Co2 to cover the surface of your beer and keep the baddies out. Just keep the keg in a dark cool room until ready to put in the fridge.

Cheers.

Thanks Stux I'll try that. I was wondering whether the little spout that stops the sediment from getting in the tap (if you know what I'm on about) is stopping it from getting a good seal as it sets the rubber back a little. I might throw it away, little sediment won't hurt. I wound the tap another half turn last night skill see how it goes this morning

Definitely throw that useless piece of shit away... I only used one once to see if it worked, and I found that blocking up the hole like that really only helps attract more sediment anyway by increasing the flow speed (kinda like what happens when you put block a hose with your finger and it shoots further, only in reverse). And yes, it will make it more difficult to get a good seal.

If you were able to go another half, with a bit of muscle (or some boiling water to soften it up a bit) you should be able to go last half so that the tap is pointing downwards. Shouldn't leak once you get it that far in.

Excellent. Everything I needed to know. I wondered about that spout as I looked when I wound the tap up and could see the rubber not touching the face. And I still get an initial burst of sediment I pour off every time I turn the tap on anyway so ditching it from this point on. Thanks heaps I'll keep ya updated. Hey bats, I might get a bit of strawberry flavour if use the lube ;)

Well I sanitised my keg and all my ports and everything, lubed the seals, drained the fermenter into it till about the weld mark, sealed the lid, hooked up the gas port and wound the gas up to 10 psi, burped the the valve a couple times then disconnect the gas. Hope I got it all right. Now it's in the fridge about 18 deg as I'm about to put a lager on soon.

Back