Kegging With A Fire Extinguisher

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nearly

Reaction score
So does anyone out there use a fire extinguisher to store CO2 for their kegging system? How much does it cost to refill? Do they insist on xraying it? How much does it cost to buy one? New? Old?

Thanks to anyone that can fill us all in with this info.... My D size bottle costs $100/year rental from BOC here in Brisbane with $35 to refill. :angry:

I'd love to own a bottle if it was cheaper. :)

Nearly - you might want to speak to LINZ about it :D

Fire Extinguisher

Looks like he is about to set it all up......

I managed to get a (I think it is a D) sized bottle outright for around $80 bucks - might want to drop GMK a PM about it, see if he can work something out for you.

Yeah I was hoping he would post in to this topic as the big images give me some grief... but also I guess I was trawling for anyone else that has been there and done that. A big concern to me is that places like BOC wont fill your bottle unless they XRAY it at some cost to you... not 100% sure about that yet.

Nearly, did you end up going with the fire extinguisher option? I'm looking into the gassing situation at the moment and can't say I'm fond of the $100/year rental or the $300 deposit (for the 22kg size)!!! Almost $500 upfront!!!

tony

Hi Guys,
I've been using a CO2 extinguisher for a couple of years now. One off cost to purchase the extinguisher and $25 to refill.
I got mine from Complete Fire, Grove Ave., Marleston in Adelaide.
You need to get an extinguisher with a 7/8 UNF thread so that a CO2 reg will screw straight on. Also get the syphon tube removed so that you will be drawing vapour from the head space in the bottle instead of liquid from the bottom of the bottle.

Here's my setup...........
http://home.iprimus.com.au/cobra30/beer.html

Regards
Rowan

Hi Rowan,

Thanks for the info about using an extinguisher, particularly the bit about the 7/8 UNF fitting.

You mention removing the siphon hose. Is this done by the supplier when you purchase the bottle or??

Would turning the cylinder upside down have the same effect?

Agree with your comments about rental - almost $100/year in Sydney plus they want to hit you for a $200 deposit!!! The fact that they won't refill cylinders you own sparks of collusion - in the US is totally different.

cheers,
tony

The brew shop I purchased my keg system from a few years back (in Sydney) does my gas bottle for me.
He always has a couple fill ready for exchange. When mine is running low I give him a call so he holds one for me and I go and exchange it.
I have a VT size (10kg) which lasts me about 8 months and I think he charges me $70 for the refil.

Not sure if he would do the gas bottle thing if you don't buy the keg system from him, but it is worth asking.
PM me for the details if you are interested.

Beers,
Doc

I purchased a new extinguisher and they cut the syphon tube off for me - you could do it yourself if you picked up a second hand extinguisher - drain gas, unscrew head, cut off tube, refit and regas.
Yeah, I guess that turning the extinguisher upside down would work - might be awkward to mount securely.

Ya have to watch out for the 7/8 UNF fitting when looking for an extinguisher.
7/8 is quite large and easily identifiable.
I've seen another thread used but that one is a lot smaller - there might be an adaptor available.
Then there are other CO2 extinguishers where the hose is just crimped on - not much good for us.

Rowan, where do you get the cylinder refilled?

cheers,
tony

I get it filled where I bought the extinguisher.

When I was asking the receptionist about purchasing a CO2 extinguisher that wasn't for fire use, a bloke in the next room pipes up says " Is that for a keg ? ".

Latest posts

Back