Kegging V Bottling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sintax, I think the only problem with those "direct connect" taps is that there's no pressure drop (ie - balancing) between the keg and the tap. If you've got even a moderately foamy beer you won't be able to pour a glass without it being all head. You would need to keep the pouring pressure fairly low.

If anyone has used one of those taps successfully I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

sintax69 said:
a beer gun or a tap mounted straight on to the quck disconnect
which will give the better pour etc etc

View attachment 4509
[post="85233"][/post]​

A beer gun.
I've got both and while the tap mounted straight to the keg works ok you've got to dial the pouring pressure right down or it'll pour all froth.
Some people here have even said they've had no success at all with a tap mounted straight to the keg. Get a Pluto gun with a few meters of beer line and you'll have no problems. As an added bonus, I've found a Pluto works very well at pouring from a keg to bottles, with no or very minimal frothing. Just the thing if your off to a party and want to take a few bottles. Just make sure the bottles are cold first.

I've got one of those direct-fit taps and it works great :)

Yeah, keep the dispensing pressure low (but not too low) and after a bit of trial and error you'll be set :party:

PZ.

Brizbrew said:
I have been looking around the web for a good deal on a start up kegging kit and the best price I have found is around the $440 mark with delivery, is this a good deal for a start up kit?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I would be prepared to pay this just to never look at a bottle again! :unsure:
[post="85403"][/post]​

That seems like a reasonable price for a complete setup.

I can also recommend Brett (token_survivor)...I've bought quite a bit of gear from him and he's certainly one of the best eBay sellers your ever likely to come across :beer:

PZ.

The local Brewcraft shop sells the same for $460,I would recommend to try a local independant brew shop (usually cheaper and better) and see if you can get a deal.Then you dont have to worry about missing/damaged parcels and you're supporting the local guy.

edit -price check

I agree,

Armed with the best price you've found, go & see your local hbs & see what he'll do for you...

Cheers Ross

Advice from the LHBS is very helpful when you are a kegging virgin, so they are probably your best bet.

Let me put it this way. If I was still bottling then I wouldn't be brewing anymore. With a couple of kids there is now way that I could brew AG and bottle. Also washing and sterlising bottles in the summer heat sucks.

Get yourself at least three kegs when you start out, and if you even start with a picnic tap or pluto gun you won't regret the investment. I started with three kegs and now have 5 x18 litres, 2 x 10 litres and 1 x 45 litres.

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
Let me put it this way. If I was still bottling then I wouldn't be brewing anymore. With a couple of kids there is now way that I could brew AG and bottle.
[post="85471"][/post]​

Yeah, the impending child was my justification for buying a keg setup.

Thanks for the advice. I will check with the local HBS to see what they can offer price wise but I don't think they will beat the online prices due to overheads etc. I know we should all support the local guy which is fine when the difference in price may be a few dollars on a tin of extract or an airlock but when the price stacks up.....
I do support the local guy with all my consumable purchases and will give him the opportunity to do a deal on a kegging system.

One thing I am wondering about is where exactly do you get your CO2 here in Brisbane? I know the choice is BOC or Air Liquide but how much and how, where etc? :unsure:

Fingerlickin_B said:
I can also recommend Brett (token_survivor)...I've bought quite a bit of gear from him and he's certainly one of the best eBay sellers your ever likely to come across :beer:

I've bought off him too! Friendly, helpful & quick replies to emails. Let me know when items were posted. No problems at all. Ball lock fittings sent over to me here in NZ. Arrived very quickly & in top condition.

Back