Kegging Times

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase

Reaction score
Hi Thre,

I had read some posts regarding keg times, ie the time between kegging the beer and tapping the kegs.

It appears that most gas for 2 days continous @ 40 psi (280kpa), then tap. I have a mate who puts 40 psi on top of the keg ( 5 minutes worth), then leaves in the fridge for 4 weeks then taps the keg.

Is the any advantage for either method?

All information would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Jase

I try to leave my kegs for as long as possible before tapping them, I try for at least 4 weeks, if it lasts that long. This gives it time to cold condition and for the beer to mellow out. It also clears the beer extremely well.
I kegged a SFPA in late June and it is now coming out crystal clear.
Hoops

hoopsunitedbrewery said:
I try to leave my kegs for as long as possible before tapping them, I try for at least 4 weeks, if it lasts that long. This gives it time to cold condition and for the beer to mellow out. It also clears the beer extremely well.
I kegged a SFPA in late June and it is now coming out crystal clear.
Hoops
Do you gas your kegs straight away (40psi for 2 days continously, then leave for four weeks) or occasionally over the four week period?

Cheers,
Jase

I gas up in one hit, ie put heaps of gas in and rock the keg back and forth while I'm gassing it. I then leave for a 4-8 weeks and test it every so often to check the carbonation and how the beer is aging. It is only coneccted to gas bottle for about 5min.

I do the gas it at 300kpa for 48 hours, then tap it. Have a few pints to get a taste for it, then it goes to the back of the keg rotation queue. Depending on supply that means it may not get a decent dent in it for 3-6 weeks.
However if I'm lazy and the beer is exceptional it may not make it to the back of the queue and it'll be empty in 7-10 days :D

Doc

Back