Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question for the freezer keggers. Is the wooden collar required because the freezer isn't deep enough, or that the cooling elements run through the body, meaning that holes would damage the workings ?

Question for the freezer keggers. Is the wooden collar required because the freezer isn't deep enough, or that the cooling elements run through the body, meaning that holes would damage the workings ?
For me it was a bit of both....not knowing exactly where the elements run, I decided it was just easier to make a timber collar. I could have got away without it (depth wise) but it wasn't that hard to do.

Height for me, but I would have added one anyway, lot easier to drill wood rather than freezer. 1 plank of wood, 4 brackets, varnish, and some window seal did the trick. Now I can remove it and resell the freezer if needs be. Or change it/change taps/shanks if needed without drama.

So i could put kegs on the compressor hub
And make use the entire freezer

I would imagine another plus for a timber collar is not flexing, the metal sheet on a freezer might

Personally, i did it because i didnt want to drill through the roof and i wanted spots to mount other hardware.. there are other ways to get the probe in that dont require drilling through the walls of the freezer (if you go font), and also running your gas line in (if you dont choose to put the bottle in there)... first would be the drainage hole.

The collar boosts the height for the compressor hump kegs, and also allows easy installation of taps (more than what an expensive font allows).

There is also the "Coffin" method.. if you search up a few keezer builds on Home Brew Talk you will find most (if not all) of them now contain coffins (a big font made of wood basically) some of them are EXTREMELY details, it involves tiling, LEDs and all sorts.. crazy stuff!

Personally, i didnt want to play around for such an old freezer, so i just built it with a collar for ease/cheap price, and spent the money on taps and regs that will last me!

Sweet, all very good reasons to consider.

>more kegs (ie standing on hump)
>easier drilling & mounting
>no body flexing when taps are used
>resale/reuse value after collar removal

Just on that last point though - you'll still be drilling into the lid or the horizontal edge of the body in order to mount your collar? And how is it sealed to ensure the device is running at efficiency without any loss of cooling through non-insulated timber?

Sweet, all very good reasons to consider.

>more kegs (ie standing on hump)
>easier drilling & mounting
>no body flexing when taps are used
>resale/reuse value after collar removal

Just on that last point though - you'll still be drilling into the lid or the horizontal edge of the body in order to mount your collar? And how is it sealed to ensure the device is running at efficiency without any loss of cooling through non-insulated timber?
I just sat mine on top with some silicone around the inside of the join. Seals it air and moisture tight!
No drilling here, the weight of the taps will hold it down if you don't attach them to the lid. With the lid attachment collars, I see 4 holes in the corners on some build threads - check youtube - could easily be covered with something or filled with white silicone.

I went with a decent pair of ratchet straps, one end screwed to the collar then underneath, side to side, then the actual ratchets screwed to the collar.

I paid for extra warranty on mine so couldn't risk drilling into it etc... I put that grey foam strip stuff between wood and collar, got it from mitre 10, I think its for sealing doors or similar and just squeezed it down with the pressure from the straps.

Has not missed a beat: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=776792

Just another idea.

Cheers

My preference was for the taps on top, more actual "bar-like" in my opinion. Drilling through the top is just as easy as drilling through wood really, I just used a hole saw. Its just foam sandwiched between a thin sheet of metal and plastic. I'm not aware of any chest freezers that have cooling coils in the lid.

Untitled1.jpg

What does that look like on the inside Crusty? I've been collecting the same taps and just spoke to Andale about the panel adaptors and bits that Id need.

this is my current sad little setup.. pre mounted taps :p

Keg1.JPG

Yob

My preference was for the taps on top, more actual "bar-like" in my opinion. Drilling through the top is just as easy as drilling through wood really, I just used a hole saw. Its just foam sandwiched between a thin sheet of metal and plastic. I'm not aware of any chest freezers that have cooling coils in the lid.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to get through both, main reason was it was a very old freezer, the plastic cover inside would have fallen to bits if I cut it, unscrewing the screws for the seal chipped away all the bits to screw it back on, I ghetto'd up a bit of aluminium sheeting for a nice join..
I'm sure the only thing to look out for on lid drilling is the internal light wiring IF it has one, which is also an issue for collars!

What does that look like on the inside Crusty? I've been collecting the same taps and just spoke to Andale about the panel adaptors and bits that Id need.

this is my current sad little setup.. pre mounted taps :p

View attachment 58138

Yob

Sorry Yob, I missed this post.

I have 4 taps but only 2 connected at the moment.

Shank adapters with cooler couplings from Andale.

I have 1 tap on the left side of that shelf rail & the other 3 taps on the other side, 110mm centres.

I may have to opt out of brewing altogether as my wife & I have applied for a resort management position. She will be doing a few days in the office & I'll be looking after all the outdoor stuff. I know a few of the staff already there so hopefully the transition will be smooth enough ( if we get the job ) We Will be living in the 4 bedroom house at the resort, free everything & with our wage, it works out just a tad over $110,000 per year. It's a big committment & with the three kids, it will be challenging if we get the job. I don't think we're allowed alcohol on site which is going to take some getting used to.
Cheers mate.

1352114149507.jpg

Sorry Yob, I missed this post.

I have 4 taps but only 2 connected at the moment.

Shank adapters with cooler couplings from Andale.

I have 1 tap on the left side of that shelf rail & the other 3 taps on the other side, 110mm centres.

I may have to opt out of brewing altogether as my wife & I have applied for a resort management position. She will be doing a few days in the office & I'll be looking after all the outdoor stuff. I know a few of the staff already there so hopefully the transition will be smooth enough ( if we get the job ) We Will be living in the 4 bedroom house at the resort, free everything & with our wage, it works out just a tad over $110,000 per year. It's a big committment & with the three kids, it will be challenging if we get the job. I don't think we're allowed alcohol on site which is going to take some getting used to.
Cheers mate.

1352114149507.jpg

Hey Crusty,
Is it local?
An old work mate done the same thing a few years ago and best thing he ever did do, he tells me. The didn't make alot of money, but they lived free, and had an absolute ball, other then doing general outdoor work a couple of hours a day it was like being on holidays all year round..

Shaun...

Hey Crusty,
Is it local?
An old work mate done the same thing a few years ago and best thing he ever did do, he tells me. The didn't make alot of money, but they lived free, and had an absolute ball, other then doing general outdoor work a couple of hours a day it was like being on holidays all year round..

Shaun...

Yeah, it's local.
It's not quite as good as what your mate did. You do get a couple of days off a week but one of us needs to be on site all the time so it's going to be hard to do anything together. Apparantly the owner will travel down from up the coast if we want holidays. It's a pretty sweet deal but also a major committment living & working on site. May not even get the job yet, we should hear by the end of the week or early next week.

Cheers

I may have to opt out of brewing altogether
1352114149507.jpg

Sounds like a good gig except for the no brewing bit ;) Im sure you will store that fridge yeah? I certainly hope so, very neat and tidy. Id offer to buy the shanks and such but wouldnt want to break it up B)

When Andale get off their asses to a) return my calls and b0 have someone on the phone that can look up prices and know what the hell they are on about I will be a happy lad, gettin real sick of opening the door to pout a beer :rolleyes:

:icon_cheers:

Sounds like a good gig except for the no brewing bit ;) Im sure you will store that fridge yeah? I certainly hope so, very neat and tidy. Id offer to buy the shanks and such but wouldnt want to break it up B)

When Andale get off their asses to a) return my calls and b0 have someone on the phone that can look up prices and know what the hell they are on about I will be a happy lad, gettin real sick of opening the door to pout a beer :rolleyes:

:icon_cheers:

PM sent regarding Andale retail price list.

Finally got around to setting up the secondary regs today! Will be good to finally run all 4! Especially aince Christmas is at my joint this year!

Guys,

i am a newbie when it comes to the blog stuff but hope this works.....

Anyways, I am also to the point of being sick to death of bottling so am looking at building a Keezer myself. Have managed to get a second hand deep freeze for about $70.00 and will build a timber collar. Am now looking at the rest of the set-up.

Can anybody tell if this is a good deal ?? http://www.keg2.com.au/prod1.htm Will also get a sencong tap.

From what i have read the reg seems to be fairly good quality ?

As I am only getting a smallish deep freeze (210L) i dare say i will only have room for 3 kegs plus gas bottle inside. I really don't want more than 3 kegs at this stage (due to room constraints at home) so am happy with that.

Is this setup the best way to sort the gas out ? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NEW-3-WAY...=item3ccc174568

i will also need to change the thermostat so the deep freeze will not freeze my kegs, does anybody know the best way to do this cost effectively ?

I look forward to your responses..... please help me out - i need to stop bottling !!!

Cheers

BJ

Hey BJ

Welcome to the forum!

Check out craft brewer (no affiliation etc) they are based in Brisbane and are awesome blokes they will help you out with gear and info.

Here is the link; Craft Brewer

Cheers, Ben

Back