Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After looking at Adryargument's set up, mine just looks a little sad :(

But it does the job.

Biggest issue is space for 1 keg only, even if the gas was not inside.
Plan is to up grade to a chest freezer and have this one for in the kitchen!!!
tap_glass.jpg
inside_fridge.jpg

hey, im looking at getting into kegging but have a few questions..

how much gas would i need for 2 corny kegs?
where do i get the gas cans from?
where do i get them refilled at?
and where is the best place to get some kegs from(does anyone wanna sell 2 maybe)???

Also 1 more thing...how much does anyone think a 22Kg(massive) CO2 Can is worth 2nd hand??

Jake,

I still have to PM you back, but if you are looking to buy a gas bottle you probably want to talk to Bob from
The Ultimate Home Brew shop in Gosford.

It is the closest shop to you for inital buy and refill. I use the smallest bottle you can get which i think is 450gms and I gas and dispense 4-6 kegs from it. I may use 2-3 bottles a year,

Honestly a 22kg tank is only worth something if you can refill it. you would need to check who owns the bottle and if it is in date and if you can find someone willing to refill it. My bet is that it is worthless because it is unusable.

YMMV

Also 1 more thing...how much does anyone think a 22Kg(massive) CO2 Can is worth 2nd hand??

if it's full i reckon it's worth the gas price unless it's refillable

if you have a "local" refill / tank testing place give them a call and see if they have any 2nd hand ones

hey, im looking at getting into kegging but have a few questions..
how much gas would i need for 2 corny kegs?

Depends on what you are doing with the gas and how quickly you empty them. To give you an idea, a 'd' size cylinder, on 4 kegs with the gas also used for CPBF on occaisions will generally last me 12 months, maybe a month or so more.

where do i get the gas cans from?

Various places. Rent from BOC or rent/buy from keg king are 2 options

where do i get them refilled at?

See answer above

and where is the best place to get some kegs from(does anyone wanna sell 2 maybe)???

Check the sponsors above. Ebay is always an option as well.

Finally put the finishing touches on my keezer. Took about 30 man hours (over 3 months). I am glad I took my time as I made design changes all the way along due to sizing and functionality tweaks.

It has 3x taps and will hold 5x kegs.

Still need to putty in the screwholes on the table top but apart from that its perfect and sturdy.

20120729_145628.jpg
20120729_145641.jpg
20120729_145714.jpg
20120729_145722.jpg
20120729_145734.jpg

The unpainted bits of wood on the underside are there to keep the top flat and hold the two pieces of $34 pine to make the top. The top is screwed to the lid of the keezer. The keezer just rests inside the frame which is on wheels.

While its on wheels, it aint going anywhere because it wont fit out any doors (Unless I unscrew the top) Still beneficial to be on wheels as I can move it around the room or move to the side for cleaning the floor.

I tried to attach the Google Sketchup model but I was not allowed to upload that file type. So I have included a pdf of the frame. If anyone wants a copy of the sketchup model let me know and I will send one through.
View attachment Kegerator_Frame.pdf

Next step is getting a mate to build our brewing system. Another sketchup model (in pdf)
View attachment Entire_Frame_View.pdf

Finally put the finishing touches on my keezer. Took about 30 man hours (over 3 months). I am glad I took my time as I made design changes all the way along due to sizing and functionality tweaks.

It has 3x taps and will hold 5x kegs.

Still need to putty in the screwholes on the table top but apart from that its perfect and sturdy.

View attachment 56131
View attachment 56132
View attachment 56133
View attachment 56134
View attachment 56135

The unpainted bits of wood on the underside are there to keep the top flat and hold the two pieces of $34 pine to make the top. The top is screwed to the lid of the keezer. The keezer just rests inside the frame which is on wheels.

While its on wheels, it aint going anywhere because it wont fit out any doors (Unless I unscrew the top) Still beneficial to be on wheels as I can move it around the room or move to the side for cleaning the floor.

I tried to attach the Google Sketchup model but I was not allowed to upload that file type. So I have included a pdf of the frame. If anyone wants a copy of the sketchup model let me know and I will send one through.
View attachment 56136

Next step is getting a mate to build our brewing system. Another sketchup model (in pdf)
View attachment 56138

Are you sure that frame is going to be strong enough?
Could have done with a bit more bracing. ;)

i have been building my lil keezer the past few weeks and got to pour the first of many beers tonight ! still has a few minor finshes to do but pretty much there and i am very happy . i wanted to try and make it a little bit more than just a standard collar so i cloaked it all in fence rail and ply for the build and i think it turned out good for such cheap products. chuck in a bit of putty, cheap stain and a few fancy edge strip things from bunnings , bit of tape + blackboard paint , cheap drip tray ;) and bang there she is.. the perlick pc flow taps bring the bling and work bloody well. i got most of the ideas from this great forum and just winged it a bit too . heres some pics........

View attachment 55940

View attachment 55941

View attachment 55942

View attachment 55943

View attachment 55944

View attachment 55945

View attachment 55946

View attachment 55947

Just came upon this & think it's all very clever. I wish I'd thought of that.
Northside Novice, I salute you! :super:

Got my keezer basically finished finally. Have 2 kegs hooked up currently(still carbing up).

Pretty happy with how it turned out.

IMG_0735_v1.JPG

Tap handles are just some branches I found in the back yard.
IMG_0737_v1.JPG

Brew/man cave coming together
IMG_0741_v1.JPG

Got my keezer basically finished finally. Have 2 kegs hooked up currently(still carbing up).

IMG_0735_v1.JPG

IMG_0737_v1.JPG

IMG_0741_v1.JPG

That looks brilliant mate!

just a quick question...when using a keezer, how does the beer not freeze inside the Kegs? is it something to do with the Co2 or is there a temperature contoller on the setup? and if there is a temp controller, what temp should it be set at?

thanks in advance for any help or advice.

cheers jake.

just a quick question...when using a keezer, how does the beer not freeze inside the Kegs? is it something to do with the Co2 or is there a temperature contoller on the setup? and if there is a temp controller, what temp should it be set at?

thanks in advance for any help or advice.

cheers jake.

What most people do is purchase and external temperature controller such as an stc1000 from ebay (will require some wiring up and is 240v so if you dont know get a sparkie to do it) or a prebuilt one from say KegKing and this will adjust the temperature by turning the freezer/fridge on and off as necessary. Temp is upto your choice but most are at around 7c-8c and thats pretty cool beer. This is also a good idea if you set up a fermenting fridge as this will improve your beer quality greatly.

You can check out this thread for more info on the STC1000 - http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=45747

hi lads

Here is my portable keg setup, its so i can just load the car up and take a keg down home to my old house..

Its just a fork lift gas bottle with top cut off ( fill with water first ), with inshulation wrapped around it with black glad wrap, wrapped around it, i but keg inside it , then fill with ice arounf keg to keg beer cold..

portable_keg.jpg

IMG_0735_v1.JPG

IMG_0737_v1.JPG

IMG_0741_v1.JPG

Awesome looking rig there Frothie.
What freezer are you running there?

Mr. Frothie, that's an excellent setup you're running there. Nice job.

so can somebody please explain to me how the Co2 regualtor Gauges work, what size i would need for 2 kegs and also how to set it up to the bottle and kegs?

btw, i purchased a large 2nd hand double door fridge/freezer for my set up today, any thoughts on how to build my set up would be much appreciated.

cheers jake.

There is so much info floating around here, mate. This wiki is a really good start- KEGGING

Maybe post a pic of your fridge so that others can throw some ideas at you. There are some good tips HERE

Cheers.

so can somebody please explain to me how the Co2 regualtor Gauges work, what size i would need for 2 kegs and also how to set it up to the bottle and kegs?

btw, i purchased a large 2nd hand double door fridge/freezer for my set up today, any thoughts on how to build my set up would be much appreciated.

cheers jake.

Back