Kegging question - t splitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donald_trub

Reaction score
I'm looking at finally buying my kegging setup and haven't quite worked out all the ins and outs of kegging/carbonating beer.

I'm looking at having 3 taps on a keg king series 3 fridge, and will have a dual pressure regulator to serve one beer at one pressure and 2 beers at a different pressure, using a t-splitter for the 2 beers at the same pressure.

My question is, what causes beer to be sucked back through the lines? If I have a beer on one end of the splitter already carbonated and being served and I brew up a fresh batch and connect it to the other end of the t splitter, will that cause the beer to travel back through the lines towards the uncarbed keg? What's the correct procedure here for adding that second keg to the t splitter?

I know that one way valves are important, and I'll buy them too, but I want to clear up this part of the process so I know how to add in this extra keg.

Hey Donald,

I have a 2 keg system running without any NRV on gas lines,but they can be a good back up to stop beer flowing into gas lines as you know.
Before i connect gas lines i always vent keg to ensure the keg is at a lower pressure than regulator pressure.
I usually connect gas with a positive pressure on regulator say 10PSI and adjust for carbonating or serving,keep a good head space in keg and
all should be good.Because i only have a single reg outlet when i introduce the second keg i take the online keg gas disconnect off and carb the
second keg,i will need to upgrade reg (dual) or change to a 3-way manifold to simplify procedure.Hope that explains things.

Its simply pressure trying to equalise. The second keg will no doubt be higher or lower in pressure then the first one.
I know you'll get NRV's. This should be non negotiable when setting up kegs.
Besides that, what I like to do is gas up a wheat beer or lager higher than my English or American Ales. By having a NRV on them, the gas cant go back to equalise. Then I can pour all at the same speed, but have the wheat and lager a bit more lively, rather than going for an average for all styles.
This works for a while, seeing as you drain a keg, more gas replaces the lost beer and the carbonation will drop. I just pump it up again.

Just get a gas manifold rather than a t-splitter. They have ball valves with build in non-return valves in them. They aren't too pricey (especially for the smaller ones) and it will make your life much easier.

Your plan will work fine.
For the t-split line:
If you already have a carbed keg attached, simply remove the gas disconnect from it, attach your uncarbed keg. Wait a minute or so for the pressure to come up to that set on the regulator, then reattach your carbed keg. This way you will not get back flow.
I pretty much use this system in my keg fridge. Just remember always disconnect from a higher pressure keg before connecting to a lower pressure keg.
I think for the setup you are describing a manifold is not necessary.

Adam.

Just get NRV's for each gas disconnect and you dont have to remember anything.

If you fill the keg so the gas dip tube is above the level of the beer, no beer can be sucked back up your gas line.

If you hook up a carbonated keg and a non carbonated keg via a T piece at serving pressure, the pressure from your regulator will hold the carbonation in the carbonated keg and force gas into the uncarbonated keg to saturation point for that pressure and temperature, even without non return valves.

Unless you don't mind waiting a week for this to happen you could, as suggested, get a manifold with shutoff valves on each line. That way you can shut off the keg you are drinking for a day or two and up the pressure on the other one to carb it in a day or two.

Latest posts

Back