Kegging options where space is limited

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedragon

Off topic...
Reaction score
After being given approval to install a keg setup six months ago by swmbo I've felt like a failure for not having done so.

The only limitation is space. We live in inner city Melb with a small kitchen / living area and low-ish bench tops. The best I can fit under the bench is a 7000mm high bar fridge. I've considered an off the shelf keg king series 3, but there's really nowhere to put it.

The only bar fridge that will fit in the space is an 80L fridge. It will hold 2 x 9.5L cornies. I can also fit a 2.x kg gas bottle down there.

Does anyone out there use 9.5L kegs as their primary kegging vessels? Am I wasting my time? Should I stick to bottling? I am planning on buying 4 kegs so that i can continue doing 20L batches and have two different beers on the go at any time.

Cheers
Daniel

9L will work but they are pricey. I had a Westinghouse all fridge that was 'under bench height' that fitted 2 19L kegs.

Good idea, but... Unfortunately even with the shorter pin lock legs, only 580mm high, I'd need a fridge slightly bigger than what I can fit.

We considered putting it outside but the need to build a shelter for it (plus dust, ants, heat) and in having to almost sneak down the side of the house to fill up, it'd lose what i percieve to be the romance of kegging (did I just use the word romance???)

have you considered something like this

http://www.kegking.com.au/Kegs.html

a 20 L commercial type keg... by the time you add up lots of 9L cornies these may be cheaper or same price... one batch, one keg.

edit - just re read OP and saw about 2 beers on the go at one time.. yep i think 9L kegs are ur only option

Could you get a bar fridge that was bench height?
More bench space, Win/Win!

If there are limited options in the kitchen, don't put it in the kitchen.

There's nothing like a keg fridge in the living/dining room as a conversational piece, not to mention convenience.

My keg fridge lives in my dining room and it always makes for great dinner conversation when I top up everyone's drinks off the taps.

Thanks gents

I like the idea of a feature kegorator although in a small Victorian terrace house it may be that little bit too obvious. Actually the keg king series 3 was the first choice (easy, ready to go, decent unit) but it was just that little but too big.

The bench top is 900mm high but will only fit a 720mm tall fridge under it, so the options are quite limited.

I've now found a little 70L mini bar style fridge that's 600mm high which will only fit the shorter 9.5L pin lock kegs. I suppose that this will have to do until we renovate or move.

Cheers
Daniel

the money you save buying 19l kegs compared to 9 l kegs you could buy a 180 dollar shed for outside, have space to expand the number of kegs, even have space to get your temp controlled ferm fridge in there. mine is outside, no hassles, except when it's posing own.

The Keg King Series II is a considerably smaller physical unit than the Series III.

It might fit in the tighter space the larger one wont.

(Yes, TWSS)

My keg king 3 sits right along side the was machine in the laundry. When I reno'd the laundry I left a cavity in the wall for a 6kg gas bottle. My kegerator sits flush in the corner.

Wolfman, the laundry idea is great. A mate has a small laundry which runs off his living room - we're planning on doing the same thing with a kig king 3 at his place. It'll be a (not so pleasant) surprise for his wife!

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement... unfortunately we can't afford a bigger house to accommodate my beer brewing and drinking hobby, so I've brought a few of these. Just 4 to start with to see how I go.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/9Litre-10L-10Litre-Ball-Lock-Cornelius-Home-Brew-Beer-Party-Mini-Keg-/300888445081?pt=AU_Breweriana&hash=item460e595099&_uhb=1#ht_3558wt_1037

Has anyone had experience with these kegs?

The same guy is also selling a dual tap font.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-Dual-Double-Draught-Beer-Tap-Font-Fount-Tower-Keg-Home-Brew-Commercial-Grade-/290894676645?pt=AU_Breweriana&hash=item43baac82a5&_uhb=1#ht_2027wt_1037

Does anyone know if these are any good? The look to be the same type as is sold by Keg King.

Cheers
Daniel

That guy is just a reseller of keg king stuff. He literally buys it from them after you but it from him.

Back