Kegging Newbie Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamboat

Fantasy Brewer
Reaction score
I picked up me keg setup during the week, and the bloke I bought it off was a dedicated K+K'er who made triple batches in 60 litre fermentors at room temperature on the Gold Coast. He insisted that he never had a bad batch, but... it looks to me like the beer lines/taps have never been cleaned, and the QD's on the kegs were all a little sticky despite the kegs being "cleaned". Probably just made infected crap beer all of the time, and didn't know any better.
I have established on a previous query that the fridge will be fine to run.

1 - What I need to find out about now is how to clean the taps thoroughly, along with the associated fittings. (taps the same as shown in post "att GMK")

2 - I will replace the tube, but the existing setup ran only around a metre from the QD to the tap, so what length to use?

3 - And what is the best method to firstly clean the kegs and QD's properly, and then, in the long term, how to keep the whole lot in top condition?

Certainly lots of info requried, but, perhaps of assistance to others also.

dreamboat

I already use nipisan on my other gear... was just wanting to be sure that there were no problems with using it in the liong term on stainless.

I think I will set up my pump to recirculate some solution through all of the taps, and gradually dilute the solution until I am just pumping water.

dreamboat

My preference is to get some Beer line cleaner...

Mix up 5 ltrs in a kep and presure with co2 and put that thru alll the beer lines and taps.
I use 5m of 4mm beer line conected to each tap - but u ned 4mm-6mm ss splices for the disconect...
I would also get new floryte kits for each tap as well.

I can get a quote on the stuff as well if u want me to - but while u r buying the stuff - get some keg lube as well....

Hope this helps..

OK

SS splices 4mm - 6mm plus clamps 5.00ea
Beer Line cleaner - powder 10.50
Keg Lube - 12.50
Floryte Tap Kits - 5.00ea

Dreamboat,

I used beer line cleaner on my taps and fittings and it works great. You can get it cheap from Andale in Coorparoo (all your beer line, clamps, t-pieces etc is much cheaper there, too). I reckon you should just make up a bucket of the stuff and soak your taps and equipment in it for an hour, then rinse in fresh water and connect to your keg and run 5L of fresh hot water from the keg through your taps.

Cheers - Snow

Back