Kegging Help - Complete muppet new to kegging.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norcs

Reaction score
I've attempted to sort this out by reading a few of the draft balancing sheet floating around on the net but still am a little unsure...

I have a 9L keg (American Pale Ale) sitting in the fridge at 4c, under pressure of about 95 kpa and it has been there for about 2 - 2.5 weeks. I am fairly confident that this will give me the correct volume of co2 for this beer style.

However, I only have 110-120cms of 3/16 beer line leading to a picnic tap .... from most sources I have read this will be too short.

I am wondering what my best course of action would be to ensure this will serve ok (I dont want to give trial and error too much of a go as I only have approx 8L of beer in the keg). Would it be best just to drop the pressure down while serving and then at the end of the night put it back up ? if so what would I need to drop it too ?

Any help would be appreciated.

more beer line, or pour like a guinness, heaps of head, settle, pour, settle, pour, 10 mins later you'll have a beer!

sorry not much help...

Once the beer is carbonated, I just turn the gas off and then about once a week give each keg a 30 second 'top up' to keep them pouring. They stay carbonated and I dont have to worry about leaks or overcarbing / balancing. (this works for me, not saying it will for you)

Just drop the pouring pressure till it stops foaming up. The beer will pour fine, just slower. The 95kpa should be dissolved and converted to carbonic acid in the liquid. Pouring pressure is not the same as carbonation level.
This is how i fill bottles from my kegs to make crystal clear carbed up six packs for transporting.
Someone will prob know more.
Hope it helps

Remove the gas IN and fart the keg. Set your reg at 50kpa. Put the gas back on. Pour with 1 inch head.

If you mean Fart as a noun not a verb then you have described VB.

Yep just dial reg right back and slowly creep up till you get a good pour. Its what I do with portable system

Nick JD said:
Remove the gas IN and fart the keg. Set your reg at 50kpa. Put the gas back on. Pour with 1 inch head.
Cheers for this, it worked a treat.

If I leave the keg at 50kpa will it eventually flatten the beer ?

It won't go flat, it will just balance out to the relevant temp/pressure your system is at. Mind you that takes a long time from experience, you will probably blow the keg before you have to worry about it.

Cheers

Back