Kegging Cleaning And Sterilising Fail!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenixdigital

Reaction score
Ok I just cleaned out my keg then put about 500ml of starsan solution in and gave it a swill and shake around....Then got my secondary ready to transfer to the keg...

Made a stupid mistake and forgot to empty out the starsan. It was about 3/4 full when I realised.

I had a taste of the starsan and its a slightly bitter/sour taste but obviously food safe as its a no rinse sanitiser.

Have I ruined my batch? Going to let it sit for a few weeks then give it a taste.

Give me some hope please :)

Ok I just cleaned out my keg then put about 500ml of starsan solution in and gave it a swill and shake around....Then got my secondary ready to transfer to the keg...

Made a stupid mistake and forgot to empty out the starsan. It was about 3/4 full when I realised.

I had a taste of the starsan and its a slightly bitter/sour taste but obviously food safe as its a no rinse sanitiser.

Have I ruined my batch? Going to let it sit for a few weeks then give it a taste.

Probably stating the obvious but.......It wont carb naturally.

You may have just invented the "Phoenix" method, for beer that lasts 10 years kegged!

Probably stating the obvious but.......It wont carb naturally.

Yup fully aware just going to let it sit so it can mature. Already burped it a few times to get out and O2.

Been contemplating adding in some dextrose though to naturally carbonate as well. Just to bump up the alcohol percent by .5% (which is what I was read somewhere is what bottle carbonation adds)

I doubt the 500ml of starsan would have killed all of the yeast? Would it?

You may have just invented the "Phoenix" method, for beer that lasts 10 years kegged!

Haha.... I dont plan on doing it again :)

I've done the same thing just a month or so ago, beer was fine and a little cloudy. I drank the keg and I'm here to tell the story. This beer was an IPA from memory so any harsh flavors from the starsan may have been hidden from q she load if hops

I've done the same thing just a month or so ago, beer was fine and a little cloudy. I drank the keg and I'm here to tell the story. This beer was an IPA from memory so any harsh flavors from the starsan may have been hidden from q she load if hops

Yeah this is a 40IBU Dark Ale so starsan should be masked with any luck. I have 4 tallies that escaped the starsan treatment so I will be able to do a taste test.

Report back with that one re taste difference

I find it hard enough to differentiate between different brews of the same recipe in general when all obvious variables are kept the same. Sticking 500ml of diluted starsan into 18-odd liters of beer and trying to work out if it was the starsan, the yeast, the mash, the grains, the new silicone hose, the thermometer leaking, or the music being played which added that "flavour" is kinda tricky.... Starsan in brews is not usually recommended but it has happened and has resulted in no confirmed casualties other than a wierd look from people when you tell them they are drinking a diluted amount of industrial acid-based sanitising agent so that must be that "odd" taste they get....

If I had more than a few drops left in the keg I'll be devastated, 500ml, I'm not sure if I'll ever get over that.

Really guys your brewing to obtain a nice clean natural beer, 500ml of chemical in there? I think not.

Batz

Feck that :eek:

mine goes PBW soak, hot rinse, Starsan and then when transferring to the keg i run a few hundred ml of beer in, rinse that about, discard and then fill the keg.
I do the same if i no chill, run 200ml or so of hot wort into the cube to rinse the Starsan, it's probably not needed but meh...

drink 500ml of Starsan, no way :icon_vomit:

Yard

I've done the same thing just a month or so ago, beer was fine and a little cloudy. I drank the keg and I'm here to tell the story.

I rode my motorbike pissed off my brain at 150km an hour in the dark and rain.

I survived so it should be fine for everyone to do??

WTF........Star San is a sanitiser, no?

Personally, i would tip the gut-rot out as a ,esson to nsure I didnt do it again.

tnd

Feck that :eek:

mine goes PBW soak, hot rinse, Starsan and then when transferring to the keg i run a few hundred ml of beer in, rinse that about, discard and then fill the keg.
I do the same if i no chill, run 200ml or so of hot wort into the cube to rinse the Starsan, it's probably not needed but meh...

drink 500ml of Starsan, no way :icon_vomit:

Yard

unless it's following a castic soda shot

STAR SAN
Acid Sanitizer for dairy and food-use surface sanitation.

 SAFETY

DANGER: Corrosive to skin and eye, contains Phosphoric Acid. Harmful if swallowed. Do not get in eyes, on skin or on clothing. Wear protective goggles and clothing when using. Avoid contamination of food. DO NOT MIX STAR SAN WITH CHLORINATED CLEANERS AS CHLORINE GAS WILL RESULT. Do not use or store near heat or open flame. See label for more precautionary information.
FIRST AID:
For Eyes: Hold eyes open and rinse slowly and gently with water for 15-20 minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present, after the first five minutes. Then continue rinsing. Call Poison Control Center or doctor for treatment advice.
If Swallowed: Call Poison Control Center or doctor immediately for treatment advice. Have person sip on a glass of water if able to swallow. Do not induce vomiting unless told to do so by the Poison C ontrol doctor. Do not give anything to an unconscious person.

you guys are soft. I put starsan on my weet bix for breakfast. :p

In my case it wasn't 500ml of strait starsan. It was 500 ml of starsan solution. 0.75ml plus 499.25ml of water in the bottom of a corny keg to be exact.

Thanks all for the responses. After further searching on the web I am pretty confident its not a problem.

First of all starsan is already diluted so 500ml is actually probably less than 1ml of concentrate. Also starsan was developed as a food safe no rinse sanitiser so its basically an acidic solution that is not toxic to humans. The acidity is what gives it the sanitising properties.

If this was bleach then this thing would be tipped immediately.

I also read that the active ingredient in starsan (phosphoric acid) at high concentrations breaks down bacteria cell walls which is why its a good sanitiser. At low concentrations the phosphoric acid becomes a phosphate and long chain fatty acids which yeast can eat. Which is why people say starsan breaks down into a yeast nutrient.

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic....946&start=0
http://www.realbeer.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=18851

Whatever the case I dont plan on doing this again.

you guys are soft. I put starsan on my weet bix for breakfast. :p

In my case it wasn't 500ml of strait starsan. It was 500 ml of starsan solution. 0.75ml plus 499.25ml of water in the bottom of a corny keg to be exact.

@ 1 keg a month that's 9ml a year :icon_cheers:

Phosphoric Acid is in nearly bloody every processed food/drink.

You probably know it as "E338". If you drink Coca Cola, you've had more Starsan than you think.

Latest posts

Back