Kegging And Cleaning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dallas

Reaction score
G;day guys,

well, after scrubbing bottles for some 4 years, i've finally managed to get myself a keg system.. scored a sweet deal (that came with a 9kg cylinder !), so now i'm ready to hit the taps!... but i do have a few questions..

what is the best way to clean the kegs / lines between kegs? i'm assuming sanitiser solution poured through the lines with gas pressure, then repeated with rinsing water will do the trick?

Also, is it necessary to clean the beer lines / tap inbetween pouring beers?? will the system sit ok if there were beer in the lines for a few weeks (how long i think it will take us to dispose of kegs contents! :party: )??

cheers...

D

hi dallas
i use and can recommend cellarman beer line cleaner in your kegs and lines.i dont do it often enough but it sure cleans out the gunk.after wards i just pour some hot boiling water into my keg and gas and flush remnant cellarman cleaner outta lines and taps.

cheers
big d

I just use the brewcraft keg and line cleaner everynow and then and then flush with boiling water. Seems to work a treat for me.

I just fill a keg with 2Ltrs of boiling water and some pinkstain (1tbl spoon) give it a shake around and then run it through the lines. Then give another good shake around with some fresh water and run that through the lines.

It cleans your recently empty keg and your lines in the one go, have not had a problem yet.

I use half a scoop of percarbonate (chlorox oxy magic) and a lid full of metasilicate (brewcraft brewers detergent) in about 2.5l of boiling water.

I'm sure you lot have much more expereince than me but I'm not that keen on using boiling water in kegs and through the lines since I would have thought the boiling water wouldn't be that good for all the little rubber bits in the keg and in the taps, like o-rings and and the little rubber bits on the poppets that are in the tank plugs.

I've heard the plants that used them for syrup clean them with hot caustic, so i'm not realy worried about boiling temps hurting them. Time will tell though, only had mine for a year

thanks guys for the tips... either way it looks like it's gonna shat all over bottling!...

D

I'm sure you lot have much more expereince than me but I'm not that keen on using boiling water in kegs and through the lines since I would have thought the boiling water wouldn't be that good for all the little rubber bits in the keg and in the taps, like o-rings and and the little rubber bits on the poppets that are in the tank plugs.

Fair point but I never have had a problem. I usually soak those bits in boiling water to loosen the rubber when replacing them. A bit over protective IMHO. But whatever works!

I too use the same method as many brewers, and the same as my local pub.

Add Keg cleaners to empty keg and flush through lines. Rinse with warm water. Then flush boiling water through it. However I do Make the boiling water boiling soda water by hitting the keg with a force carb strength of CO2 & shaking the shit out of it for a minute.

And your right, it does shit all over bottling! :beer:

Back