Kegging A Hefe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrja

Reaction score
I brewed the Weizen from "Brewing Classic Styles" last year and it was a bit of a fail.

It fermented OK, but I think I kegged it with way too much yeast.

Anyone have a good established schedule for a hefe? I have temp control and normally go from primary to keg.

Or do I have to shake the keg before each session to spread the yeast a bit better!

A bit of googling brings up ideas like:Hefe keg with shortened dip tube.Occasionally turn keg upside down to distribute yeast.
And because I had to much yeast to begin with I'm thinking a bit more settling time or cold conditioning will help.
My plan then would be:10 days fermenting at 17 degrees4 days cc at 4 degreesKeg (but won't shorten dip tube just yet).Occasionally rouse yeast in keg.
If still too much yeast then I'll try a longer cc'ing phase next time.
How does this sound?

I wouldn't be shortening your dip tube...
Everything is going to settle so if you dont give the keg a shake up first your gunna get a glass of yeast straight up..
If your gunna have a session and dont want to keep shaking all the time try putting a second dip tube on your "gas in" side so the incoming co2 will bubble up from the bottom and help to aggitate the yeast back up into suspension. you'll still need to give it a shake before you initialy use it still.

Sqyre...

I am confused. Do you want less cloudy beer from the keg or do you want more cloudy beer? Shaking the keg to distribute the yeast will make each glass cloudier than had you not shaken it (which suggests you want more yeast per glass) but you are also saying about using too much yeast.
As it sits in your keg fridge cooling, the yeast will settle to the bottom (somewhat), just run with the first few glasses being particulalry cloudy and it should be good after that.

This is why I hate kegging hefeweizens. The yeast settling out..
Yeast in suspension is a feature of the style (unless it is a Krystal Weizen :p ).
Too much yeast when kegged? Did you pour all the trub in?

You can buy some stuff (forget what it's called) that keeps the yeast floating.

Yeast is not bad for you, unless you get a massive (MASSIVE) dose.
Are you concerned about the flavour of the yeast or the appearance?

I recommend that you swirl the keg before and maybe during each tasting session.
If too much yeast for you, try and siphon from above the yeast only into the keg.

Happy hefe'ing.

I wouldn't be shortening your dip tube...
Everything is going to settle so if you dont give the keg a shake up first your gunna get a glass of yeast straight up..
If your gunna have a session and dont want to keep shaking all the time try putting a second dip tube on your "gas in" side so the incoming co2 will bubble up from the bottom and help to aggitate the yeast back up into suspension. you'll still need to give it a shake before you initialy use it still.

Sqyre...

I think he has it. Perhaps slip a length of food grade hose (such as silicone) over the gas in dip tube so that incoming gas bubbles up from the bottom?

I think he has it. Perhaps slip a length of food grade hose (such as silicone) over the gas in dip tube so that incoming gas bubbles up from the bottom?
ONLY if there is a NRV on the gas line or built into the reg.....

ONLY if there is a NRV on the gas line or built into the reg.....

Good point.
Who wouldn't though? It is standard practice to have both. IMO if you don't have a NRV on the gas line, you're a bit of a dill.

Yes, it had too much yeast. (I've drunk a shit load of Franzikaner, Paulaner, Edelweis, etc Hefes so not like I don't know what a hefe should taste like).

Flavour was definitely the issue, though it also appeared very yeasty also.

10 pints later and still too much yeast. Not a little too much, way, way too much.

Making sure that fermentation has finished and that enough yeast has settled would appear to be the main thing I need to get right.

And then instead of effectively sucking the thick yeast at the bottom of the keg, I'll probably try to rouse it gently to spread it out.

Thanks for responses so far everyone. If anyone has a tried and tested schedule I'd love to hear it.

If anyone has a tried and tested schedule I'd love to hear it.

Take your hefe off the primary yeast. Wait a day (it'll still be cloudy).

Fill keg. Carbonate. Drink.

(If you are still drinking it when it's clear ... drink faster) :huh:

Back