Kegged To Soon?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Village Idiot

Reaction score
I am not 100% sure I had complete fermentation prior to kegging. All Pilsner grain/CZ Saaz using 34/70 yeast, 3 weeks at 10-11C, racked for 1 week and raised temperature to 16C for the last 2 days, CC'd to 1C for 4 days. Very clear but tasted a little maltier/sweeter than I thought it would. Bloody hate doing lagers.

Broken hydrometer again. Have been force carbing now for 24hrs. Should I warm it up, leave it alone?? Tasted pretty good.

Thoughts appreciated

Peter

So it tastes pretty good?

What more do you want?

You might brew your own beer, but it doesn't come with hot and cold running blondes and naked dancing girls. Well, not from my brewery, anyway.

I have one, but stuffed if I can decipher the conversion tables for wort once alcohol is present after fermentation.

OK Nick.... am I right here? OG 1.053 Brix now after ferment 6 Used brewmate, does that mean an FG of 1.006?? and a potent brew????

Does temp and carbonation change anything??

Does temp and carbonation change anything??

An accurate OG is important. Temp should be 20C IIRC for most refractometers. Can't see CO2 changing the refraction index of the beer - but it might. Dunno, most of it would fizz off when you close the cover I'd guess.

88% attenuation is probably too high for 34/70 - are you sure your brix reading is exactly 6?

An accurate OG is important. Temp should be 20C IIRC for most refractometers. Can't see CO2 changing the refraction index of the beer - but it might. Dunno, most of it would fizz off when you close the cover I'd guess.

88% attenuation is probably too high for 34/70 - are you sure your brix reading is exactly 6?

Checked it again and it might be 6.1. Not going to make much difference

If your refractometer has temperature calibration, like mine does, you calibrate it to ambient temperature, which your sample should get to after a few seconds...

If your refractometer has temperature calibration, like mine does, you calibrate it to ambient temperature, which your sample should get to after a few seconds...

That was my understanding.... I usually wait till sample cools/warms and check three times. Attenuation, should I use apparent or real in Brewmate Tools to compare against what the yeast is supposed to produce. App is 88% which is high as Nick said, "real" was 72% which is on the money for 34/70???

That was my understanding.... I usually wait till sample cools/warms and check three times. Attenuation, should I use apparent or real in Brewmate Tools to compare against what the yeast is supposed to produce. App is 88% which is high as Nick said, "real" was 72% which is on the money for 34/70???

83% apparent is what fermentis say for that yeast. Getting 88% apparent would be pushing the boundaries with an all-malt recipe. Maybe you have - but all numbers are indicating you have not kegged too early.

Lager it properly for at least 8 weeks then try it again, sounds like you're trying it too early. A four week fermentation should have fermented it out, surely.

83% apparent is what fermentis say for that yeast. Getting 88% apparent would be pushing the boundaries with an all-malt recipe. Maybe you have - but all numbers are indicating you have not kegged too early.

Thanks for the help, a bit longer on the gas and a few samples will be taken. :drinks:

All the best for the New Year.

Peter

Latest posts

Back